Davros59

Kenwood kp-9010 tonearm lift

For repairs and advice there is a guy in Mittagong ( Willowvale actually) who knows these really well,

he is alwayssellling Japanese direct drives on eBay, 

his eBay name is directdrive or similar

Davros59- THANK YOU for this thread!  I have a KP-1100 with a similar issue. We were able to dampen the travel externally at the solenoid "paddle" but I was unaware of the damper shaft under the solenoid. What viscosity of oil did you end up using? I have 50k RC oil here but I think Vaseline is thicker (update-it seems so-I found where it is 64k viscosity)... I know I can get up to 300k oil. I ordered 100k and 125k from Amazon here as they were just a few dollars. I would rather take it back apart and fix it at the source if the thicker oil fixed your problem. Please advise and thank you again for the information!

Edited by captmark
new info

I have 2 of these KD decks (why are people using kp?). Never had a problem with the arm lift mech. and my first KD was very badly packed for shipping from Germany and arrived with one corner of the plinth smashed, I negotiated a price drop down to £120 - it still played perfectly.

It's worth checking out posts on Vinyl Engine, particularly those by Hugo. The bearing assembly is something else - a rod of special steel alloy which is rifled and sits on a huge nut which is highly polished as is the rod. The tolerance between the rod and the steel tube in  which it is situated is so tight that, any tighter and it would seize up, this is demonstrated by how hard it is to remove the rod to clean off the old Slick 50 oil and apply a new coating - don't use grease. Do not 'adjust' this nut , it is factory set. The life of the bearing assembly can truly be said to be 'indeterminate' what a difference to the totally inferior archaic likes of Garrard et al.

The silent operation of a lot of Japanese superdecks like the KDs is down to the bearing assemblies and the type of motors used. 

Kenwood employed top flight engineers - the PCB is really easy to remove, very little desoldering is nec. to achieve this. the TX is connected by 3 wires which are fixed to steel rods on the PCB  mechanically (very old school this), on reassembly it is impossible to use this method and the wires must be soldered.

I am about to replace all the electrolytic caps on both decks. I'm using Panasonic FC caps, cost about £4 per deck.

The arm is so well designed and set-up is a doddle. I would not describe the arm as high mass but medium. By changing the aluminium slab of a headshell it is easy to reduce the arm mass to suit modern cartridges or something like the Pickering 7500S LOMM.

Why anyone would want to spend serious money on any of the modern decks is beyond me - your paying for technically inferior eye candy. Non of them has the really useful arm lift at end-of-side or motor turn-off. 

If I had known that Kenwood were going to scrap the tooling and production facilities for these decks at the end of the 80s, the scrap price would have been negligable and to re-introduce these decks now would mean a huge backlog of orders and very healthy profit margins.

Good examples go for around €800 and that includes a superb gimbal arm - a steal at the price.

19 hours ago, Southerly said:

I have 2 of these KD decks (why are people using kp?).

1D17F51A-6726-472D-AFE0-F18FD8794EA3.jpeg

Kenwood obviously used different designations in different markets, in the northern hemisphere it was KD.  Goatboy - very accurate description by Bill Hicks, definitely deserves a like that.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Lovesit
      Item: LUXMAN PD-350 Turntable with LUXMAN TA1 Tonearm made by Micro Seiki and VS 300 Vacuum Stabiliser
      Price: $3800 
      Item Condition: Very Good 8/10
      Reason for selling: Regretful Sale, Newborn on the way
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash
      Extra Info:
      Doesn't get better than this.... VINTAGE RARE ITEM...
      Still RATED the best LUXMAN by Micro Seiki Turntable ever made. Regretful sale have a newborn on the way.. have owned this turntable for 14 years now, second owner has been refurbished and serviced by AUDIO RESTORATIONS.. All CAPS have been changed, amps calibrated to AUS standards 240 Volts, serviced and tested.
      RARE opportunity last time item like this was advertised for sale was 7 years ago.
      DONT MISS OUT...

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By sammatt
      Item: VPI TNT Mk 2 Turntable with SDS speed controller (reduced price with extras)
      Price: $2500 (reduced from $3500)
      Item Condition: excellent - see notes
      Reason for selling: downsizing
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal
      Extra Info:

The TNT series, designed by VPI’s Harry Westfield, is well known for its ability to transform vinyl playback into something very special.  This TNT Mk 2 model presents with authority and weight, reveals the all-important midrange magic, and provides plenty of detail and air.  Ambiance retrieval from good vinyl with an accurate setup is excellent. The package includes the following:

- Turntable, platter, motor, drive bands, and spring-loaded footers
      - VPI SDS speed controller (33 rpm only)
      - Tone arm board (this is reversible with two mounting holes, one for flush mounting and the other for elevated mounting)
      - VPI record clamp
      - replacement drive bands

Extras included in price: 
      -  Audiomods Classic 2 Tonearm with adjustable VTA mounted with an Ortofon Bronze MM cartridge (as seen in photos)
      -  Rega RB250 tonearm with Origin Live adapter, Origin Live VTA adjuster sleeve, with Clear Audio Aurum Beta S Wood MM cartridge
      - Pass Labs DIY Pearl Phono Preamp (MM only)

PRICE: $2500 (reduced from $3500)

Note that this controller/motor/drive band combination does not have the torque to start the platter spinning.  A slight manual spin by the user, using the record clamp, is needed as you press the motor’s power button.  It takes only one second.  This solution has worked for many years and has helped preserve the motor and drive bands.

The turntable is available for a no-obligation audition at residence in Newcastle. Set up by an experienced enthusiast or professional is required.

https://www.vpiindustries.com/tnt2 

• By lancer181
      Item: Rega P9 Turntable , Apheta cartridge and Ios phono
      Price: $4800.oo NZD + shipping
      Item Condition: Excellent condition
      Reason for selling: Upgraded to RP10 rega
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, COD Only
      Extra Info: Rega P 9 turntable excellent condition , 1 small mark on the wood surround . Apheta cartridge low hours . Ios phono pre amp like new .

• By denimhunter
      Item:         AUDIO TECHNICA AT1503iiia tonearm
      Price:       $1050
      Item Condition: very good
      Reason for selling:
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:

Audio Technica reissue of AT 1500 mk3, 10 inch, broadcast tonearm with removable headshell originally designed for use by Japanese broadcaster NHK.  Med-High mass transcription tonearm suitable for low compliance cartridge. Suitable for SPU as well.   The arm is selling for over $2,200 on eBay and in the US. Original din to RCA tonearm cable is Included.

I am also selling on a separate listing, Aurealis din to rca cable which will work well with this tonearm.

Refer to the following for information:

https://www.lpgear.com/product/AT1503IIIA.html

Pictures:

• By flat_eric
      Item: Thorens 160 B MkII turntable with SME 3009 tonearm and Shure V15-III cartridge
      Price: $1350 plus postage (if applicable)
      Item Condition: Very good for age
      Reason for selling: Upgrading
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal
      Extra Info:

The Thorens TD-160 turntable is a tweaker’s heaven and arguably one of Thorens’ best.  

This one is in very good condition for its age and sounds great. It comes with a SME 3009 tonearm and Shure V15-III phono cartridge - an iconic matching with the Thorens.

The SME 3009 has a reputation for being the perfectionist's tonearm, so if that is your thing you will not go wrong with this setup. 

Just send me a PM if you need more information or any specific photos and I will be happy to assist.