Sime

Damping Factor

53 minutes ago, Sime said:

Seeing as I’m not technically minded in all this, those videos that @MLXXX posted above showing speakers as generators, how does a speaker/amp system handle the energy being created by the speaker during playback (sorry if it’s already been explained)

Good question!  I'll be interested to read what others say in response. 

3 hours ago, Sime said:

Seeing as I’m not technically minded in all this, those videos that @MLXXX posted above showing speakers as generators, how does a speaker/amp system handle the energy being created by the speaker during playback (sorry if it’s already been explained)

Well, as I understand it the back EMF is already incorporated into the impedance graph of the speaker...they are the resonant peaks that cause a higher SPL and are already part of the speaker Q...your speaker has probably already been designed to account for back EMF.

That said, an amp with a very low output impedance operates in voltage drive which means that the impedance peaks in a speaker make lower SPL than an amp with a higher output impedance.  In a commercial speaker that is designed to be run by a zero output impedance amplifier this is fine and you will hear what you are meant to hear.  It also makes designing the speaker somewhat easier in that you can use high mass cones which are harder to damp and therefore make more bass from a smaller box which is sort of defeating the purpose of the zero output impedance amplifier in the first place but it does allow for the modern aesthetic.  Perhaps I am a bit cynical,  but the way I see it zero output impedance amps are merely a way to make smaller speakers work.

If you really want to reduce back EMF you would use low excursion drivers with short voice coils and lightweight speaker cones.  Light cones are easy to damp and short voice coils produce less back EMF.  But the problem is size...those drivers need big boxes or even better they need horns because horns are the kings of low excursion.  That sort of system gets hard to fit in a room.