Oppo BDP-103D or Cambridge Audio CXU?

51 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

What are you going to use it for?

Mainly video functions. I know that the Oppo can decode DSD but I don't have any DSDs to play., and I'm more than happy with my DAC.

I like the idea of the audio return channel on the Cambridge.  They both have the Darbee processing.

There's a BDP-103D in the classifieds and I sent a message yesterday but haven't had a reply. That is worrisome, as too is the sellers low post count and use of a stock photo. It has passed through the mod's filtering so I assume it's legit. Otherwise, at around twice the price I can buy both units new.

Help!

If you put the Panasonic UD900 in the list go for the Panasonic.  I've seen reviews that it has the edge over the OPPO 203 and less hassles as you don't buy into being a OPPO ginuea pig or test rat with there ever evolving firmware.

If you're considering the Cambridge with that spending then you have to add the OPPO 205 in the list.  Not sure about the Cambridge performance but it has Darbee were the OPPO isn't.  That said the OPPO feature wise is comprehensive with its IOS and andoid apps that takes over the remote with a phone or tablet.   The wifi is built into the OPPO where the Cambridge is a USB dongle.  The OPPO has 2x USB 3.0 and 2channel XLR supported.  The OPPO has also moved to a ESS 9038 chip where there is no change for the Cambridge.   Not seeing  any test results of the Cambridge I'll have no hesitation taking the oppo 205.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 2:21 PM, JukKluk2 said:

Mainly video functions. I know that the Oppo can decode DSD but I don't have any DSDs to play., and I'm more than happy with my DAC. 

If video is No1 and you have no DSD plans ; another vote for the pana ubd900 ;its got a high precision chroma processor and direct chroma upscaling to 4k/60 depending on your display [ or if you plan to get a UHD display ?] And it is THX certified so it passes a heap of tests that point to reliability 

If happy with sd video though Homer makes a good point :)

1 hour ago, cwt said:

If happy with sd video though Homer makes a good point :)

It wasn't that long ago that Blu-Ray was considered hi-rez. How times change. Have to admit though that the Panasonic looks pretty good. That it's being advertised at a little over half of its RRP makes it all the more considerable. I now need to decide if I truly do not desire the more advanced audio options from the Oppo/Cambridge axis , or if I am after the best possible picture quality that I can get.

Although I think it unlikely that I will build a library of UHD discs I am likely to stream Netflix at the higher resolution. But now I'm uncertain of the capabilities of my recently purchased tv......

I think it's high time for a black and white CRT revival. Who's with me?

12 hours ago, HomerJ1503560906 said:

The Oppo 103 can rip SACDs so it will hold its resale value way longer than the others

Another consideration, though knowing me whichever way I go the chosen player will likely continue in the system until either it dies, or I do. Video gear I tend to want to get the best that I can afford at that given time and be happy with it. Audio gear, depending on the circumstances of the time, I aspire to, firstly, the very best, then the next model or two down, followed by the very best that I can afford, after which I sit back and await the next bout of chronic upgrade-itis.

As a matter of interest @HomerJ1503560906 do those numbers represent your date and time of birth?

21 minutes ago, JukKluk2 said:

I now need to decide if I truly do not desire the more advanced audio options from the Oppo/Cambridge axis , or if I am after the best possible picture quality that I can get.

Although I think it unlikely that I will build a library of UHD discs I am likely to stream Netflix at the higher resolution. But now I'm uncertain of the capabilities of my recently purchased tv......

I think it's high time for a black and white CRT revival. Who's with me?

If your tv has hdmi 2.0 with hdcp 2.2 you are ok for UHD from a player ; if its hdmi2.0a your good for HDR as well . If its hdmi 1.4  a sd player is compatible though there is the option of buying something like a hd fury linker to bring compatibility

https://www.hdfury.com/product/linker-4k60-444-600mhz-scaler/

Yes ' bring back component and rgb h/v - much simpler :)

What about the Oppo 203? Has anyone have anything to say about this machine?

I notice that at the moment that the UHD 4K players currently don't have the Darbee mods. Is this because it is incompatible with the format, or is of lower resolution, or can we expect  that to come along later?

Reminds me of that Rodriguez cartoon where the salesman is on the phone to his customer saying that he's the guy who sold him the ultimate system last year but was wondering if he would like to upgrade.

50 minutes ago, JukKluk2 said:

As a matter of interest @HomerJ1503560906 do those numbers represent your date and time of birth?

No. Maybe the number is what I've spent on audio gear and music/video releases over the years!

I was a member of DTV and that user name was auto created when they moved us across to Stereo.net. Probably because I used the that same name here 'HomerJ' but never posted. Anyway, stuck with it now....

Edited by HomerJ1503560906

59 minutes ago, JukKluk2 said:

What about the Oppo 203? Has anyone have anything to say about this machine?

I notice that at the moment that the UHD 4K players currently don't have the Darbee mods. Is this because it is incompatible with the format, or is of lower resolution, or can we expect  that to come along later?

I get the impression its a lot more stable now with the plethora of firmware updates its had . Oppo has always had better customer update support than many others . The darbee uhd version[at least a stand alone version] has been mooted for ages now ; it seems its  a lot more complicated to get an algorithm to improve on 4k 10 bit WCG . It was mentioned a few CES;s ago and still isn't here

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/darbeevision-enhances-4k-video

The sdr version wouldn't be compatible as its only 8 bit compatible for a start . btw I sold my 103d as the darbee didn't do that much for me ; as others have also said ; besides its poor file codec playback :aww:

As some wise members would say; with better grammar natch - you can wait for the next big thing or be enjoying whats available in the present :)

Edited by cwt

39 minutes ago, cwt said:

As some wise members would say; with better grammar natch - you can wait for the next big thing or be enjoying whats available in the present :)

I do hear you on that, it's simply that the hunt sometimes is full of thrills and spills.

• Like 1