mloutfie

Budget room treatment foam

It's all about the budget for me $360 per panel is out of the question with room size on 5*4.5m even spacing them out 2 panel each side adds up to around $2900 that is 10 times my budget to treat this room

1 minute ago, mloutfie said:

It's all about the budget for me $360 per panel is out of the question with room size on 5*4.5m even spacing them out 2 panel each side adds up to around $2900 that is 10 times my budget to treat this room

it's not $360 a panel. You get 10 sheets in the bundle for the price. I'd go for the $445 option (50 mm thick) though which comes with 6 sheets.

4 minutes ago, mloutfie said:

Ok that does spend better then I'll do some more budgeting then :)

yup, the foam option not only is ineffective but can be a PITA to remove when you're not happy with them. 

and the easiest way to install the panels is to use the mirror method. you place a mirror on the surfaces (walls etc). if you can see the speaker drivers in the mirror from your listening seat, that's the first reflection point where you want to install the panel. 

Edited by Happy

You need to purchase at least the 50mm thick batts to be reasonably effective. 75mm or 100mm are better. 

When you have built the panels also mount them 50mm off the walls (and ceiling) for improved performance.  

They will do very little to low frequencies. You need bass traps for that. I built ones that are 2.4m tall, 0.8m wide from properly designed (with correctly measured / published performance ) foam bass traps and added to them another 150mm of polyester acoustic batts with limp membranes sandwiched between. 

They work. 

On 13/10/2017 at 10:35 AM, mloutfie said:

Ok that does spend better then I'll do some more budgeting then :)

I used the 75mm. more to the point a Mate donated them from left overs of his project, thanks @Upfront

You will not need 10 sheets for the room (or whatever the pack has in it) :) probably 4 or 5 would have the desired effect. say 1 each side wall, ceiling back and front as they are quite big at 2.4 x 1.2m

Would have no doubt at all the rest would sell like hotcakes to the  Forum members close by, which would bring the price down closer to your budget. 

This type of thing measures to be a broad band absorbed panel from 150hz ish to 12Khz and stops slap echo/ping dead in it's tracks

Covering material is a little expensive bit I picked some up at half price in a sale bin so spent about a hundred and 20 enough to cover 3 bats

Just ideas, have fun

IMG_1975.JPG

I second all the advice given so far, those ebay foam things are rubbish.  I used Bradford Soundscreen to make my treatments $275 delivered for 5 bags containing 8 R2.0 70mm batts, or i think its about $65 for a singular bag of 8 batts.  Made frames from 19mm pine from bunnings the 64mm width works perfectly and for the corners i used 140mm width and doubled up the batts.  Covered them frame and all with the cheapest black material i could get at spotlight.  Bought a 20 metre roll of 1500mm width material wrapped it in a tube length ways around the frame used a staple gun to fix it along one of the back edges then folded the top and bottom in like you're wrapping a present and stapled that to the back edge.

Will these "batts" still have the same effect just nailed to the wall, behind permenantly drawn curtains?

I recieved my "ebay foams" 2 of them togeather (fitting into one another) actually feels quite dense and is ~ 70mm thick.

Im thinking im going to use them on the remaining of the wall around the screen.

WIll have the effect nailed to the wall, although it’s more effective to have a little clearance between it and the wall.

If the curtain is acoustically transparent it would still work. If not, not a good idea for obvious reasons.

I use melamine foam for the ceiling due to the ease and appearance. I’ve confirmed its performance via its published specification. Does a decent job too.

10 minutes ago, Marshall_SLX said:

@Happy

Have you ever compared the Bradford Polymax to the Soundscreen?

Nah have only tried xhd and Acoustisorb they were known to have the best spec per size at the time.