Budget room treatment foam

I finally took the plunge creating my own listening room and need some idea on budget acoustic foam and a direction on how much would I need. Room size is 5m*4.5m. I'm planning to get some of these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/40-x-Studio-Acoustic-Foam-Panel-Tile-Sound-Absorption-Proofing-Treatment-Wedge-/390905526113 80 of those foam to be exact and create a 4 foam column with gap around 50 cm as start. Or is it better to have one big fluster say 1.2m X 1.5m center on each wall?

Any suggestion would be great

2 minutes ago, mloutfie said:

So that's insulation rather than outside foam?

it is. if you don't want it bare, you will have to cover them with acoustically transparent fabric. better if you can frame them too.

Im interested in this same foam 30 x 30cm tiles for my dedicated home theatre.

I want to use them on the walls and ceiling. (Not everywhere, just 900 x 900mm squares) Is there any recommendation on where to place them?

Would doing the wall around the pj screen be beneficial?

Do they reduce echo?

Improve sound quality?

Had anyone done this (around the screen) as a feature?

The only stuff I'd recommend on ebay are these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fiberglass-Panel-Studio-Acoustic-Treatment-Beige-Sand-Fibreglass-120x60cm-/311749135681?hash=item4895b24d41:g:UaAAAOSw6ShZXK-7

They are 30mm fabric covered fiberglass, they come in red, beige and black. I have 10 of these in my lounge room and IMHO they look very nice, MUCH nicer than the cheap acoustic wedge foam. The beige colour shown on the ebay listing looks better in person (less pink), almost perfectly blends with my vertical blinds. These really helped reduce any "slap echo" in my room. I also have 6 x Polymax XHD panels in the room. The difference room treatment makes is pretty dramatic, even at my modest level.

5 minutes ago, Home theatre rookie said:

Thats fair enough but why not the el cheapo foam squares?

They seem to be popular in recording studio's etc...

I just ordered 80 of them and in going to stick them in 90cm x 90cm sqaures around the room walls and on the ceiling.

Them foam can disintegrate and look awful quick.

And more importantly, they can only take care of high frequencies leaving out mid-high and below to bum around your room.

From 100Hz thereabouts, the sound is all directional.

You might think you just want to cover the HF anyway, but that could easily cause sound imbalance overall.

Recently made some frameless wall panels, from XHD bats at 1.2 x 2.4m covered with an nice felt backed upholstery material, can double as emergency mattresses :) as they just lean up against the wall, either side of the room but could be hung fairly easily

They work well as a broad band and first reflection absorber. certainly took some of the muddying reflections out of the mid bass, in the concrete lounge

Upholstery covers made up at local canvas and awning supplier

XHD acrylic bats from Bunnings and Material from Spotlight.

Cheap cheerful , portable and double use.

7 hours ago, Happy said:

Them foams are mostly useless. Go for Polymax XHD or Acoustisorb 3.

Yep, they are the go, no glass fibre and come up well with custom material cover

10 minutes ago, Home theatre rookie said:

Interesting.

So to "cover" lower frequencies ill need the thick heavy soubd absorption pabels? Is this correct?

If thats the case, ill get a few of them also.

Im hoping ib a smoke free closed off dedicated ht the foam shouldn't degrade to quickly.

You need to check the specification of the product. This is why I recommended Polymax (currently known as CSR Martini it seems) XHD and Acoustisorb 3 above. But usually denser mass insulation stuff will do a better job then foam. 

to go on, frequencies sub 80Hz, will need way more than foam blocks regardless of how massive they get, There is a lot of time and money/time tied up in "prescription treatment" of those frequencies :thumb:

7 minutes ago, 125dBmonster said:

to go on, frequencies sub 80Hz, will need way more than foam blocks regardless of how massive they get, There is a lot of time and money/time tied up in "prescription treatment" of those frequencies :thumb:

yup i recommend DSP for that region for most people other than 125dBmonster who is of course a bit of nutcase :P 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Happy said:

yup i recommend DSP for that region for most people other than 125dBmonster who is of course a bit of nutcase :P 

Noted,

but prefer "Audiophile Extremist " thanks

:thumb:

3 hours ago, 125dBmonster said:

Recently made some frameless wall panels, from XHD bats at 1.2 x 2.4m covered with an nice felt backed upholstery material, can double as emergency mattresses :) as they just lean up against the wall, either side of the room but could be hung fairly easily

They work well as a broad band and first reflection absorber. certainly took some of the muddying reflections out of the mid bass, in the concrete lounge

Upholstery covers made up at local canvas and awning supplier

XHD acrylic bats from Bunnings and Material from Spotlight.

Cheap cheerful , portable and double use.

How much did it cost you just for the bats?

Guest Peter the Greek
On 10/11/2017 at 4:45 PM, Happy said:

wow they now sell XHD at Bunnings that's handy

That is very handy - and cheap! Shame it doesn't come in black....I suppose you could ask, anyone know?

Nice that they publish the flow resistivity too

Oh yeah and foam sucks :)