J.D.

Downsizing - starting from scratch

39 minutes ago, Eggcup The Daft said:

They will be well down by 35Hz. You may or may not get an audible fundamental  with the Dynaudios but most of what you'll hear with musical instrument sound will be harmonics. There may be nothing wrong with that. I Iived with that level of bass for most of my life and still enjoyed the music. It's still better with the lower bass (and without the mid bass hump that is put into some floorstanders for good measure)!

I might just not have the right music to hear that. (or the right ears for that matter)

I used to have a pair of Linn Majik Isobarik speakers that were flat to around 28Hz and I haven't really heard anything they played that the Dyns didn't.

3 hours ago, audio_file said:

I might just not have the right music to hear that. (or the right ears for that matter)

I used to have a pair of Linn Majik Isobarik speakers that were flat to around 28Hz and I haven't really heard anything they played that the Dyns didn't.

Hm... I'm a little surprised at that. It is more noticeable on some recordings than others, and certainly more so with digital than analogue. You have better sources than I currently do, I see from your sig. Having said that, I vaguely remember that the published 28Hz rating was actually -6dB and the PMCs in your sig probably go slightly lower... I don't have the figures to hand and Linn don't quote the full measurement spec in the product info.

Gee...all this talk of Linn, PMC and ATC...I'm never going to be playing in that league so I just have to make do with what I can afford.

I have no particular concern that one note or other might not be directly audible. As someone rightly pointed out earlier, the issue is really harmonics, rather than individual voices and that is what I'm really concerned about.

I am not going to be playing at what most people would consider normal volumes so I need something for bass extension. I have auditioned these speakers and every one of them came up short. Some were worse than others and some would probably never make the cut anyway.

Floorstanders are not really an option because the bass drivers would be too low down in a bedroom to achieve much - the bass being eaten by the furniture. Speakers stands are not a problem. If I need them, I'll build some myself. I'm not going to spend $600 on speaker stands if I can build them for $50. You're right: I'm a cheapskate and I come from a long line of cheapskates.

So really, I think I'm stuck with a sub-sat setup. I may have to forego the sub for a while, which means I have to buy something I can live with in the meantime. Thus far, that means B&W or Dynaudio.

Edited by J.D.
'cause I'm a clumsy typist

23 minutes ago, J.D. said:

Floorstanders are not really an option because the bass drivers would be too low down in a bedroom to achieve much - the bass being eaten by the furniture.

Bass is not really directional, so this might not be a problem.

Also some floor stander designs have the woofer high up in the box, or the box tilted so the woofer points up slightly.

Going to listen to some KEF Q100 and Q300s tomorrow.

On 10/13/2017 at 10:34 PM, audio_file said:

Bass is not really directional, so this might not be a problem.

Also some floor stander designs have the woofer high up in the box, or the box tilted so the woofer points up slightly.

Anything above 80Hz is directional, so this is a consideration. And yes, some two way floorstanders do have both units up high. They rarely go lower than the standmounts, especially in the price range we're concerned with here, so don't help much.

The Osborn Eos mentioned earlier is sensitive enough to work with that NAD 3020 and would allow you to keep it if that is plausible, giving more money for the sub (Osborn's T10 would be a good match, so would REL models).

Do ask to hear the LS50 and the R100 as well as the Q models, The R100 is a good speaker that is overshadowed by the LS50. It may suit you best of all of these,

Does anyone have any experience of the Pro-Ject RS or MaiA systems components?

http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?info=boxes&cat=boxes&lang=en

They have some interesting stuff but its difficult to access on their website. There is a tiny CD player (which actually has a Burr-Brown chip in it), as well as stereo pre-amp/power amp configurations.

All of this stuff is staggeringly small but with a useful output of 60W into 4Ω.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Primare Knob
      Hi,

I have just started setting up my HT room and using 2 subwoofer for the first time.

What is the best way when using 2 subwoofers when you only have one LFE output on the AVR/PrePro?
      At the moment I am using an Y splitter on the LFE output feeding into both subwoofers.

What is the best (starting) position?
      At the moment I have placed them behind the Front speakers with a 1 : 1.3 ratio from the back : side wall.

What is the best approach for system integration.
      Is there a different approach between 2 and multi channel integration?
      At the moment I have "integrated" the subwoofers by ear into a 2 channel setup first, using level, phase and a 40Hz crossover setting on the subwoofers themselve. My front speakers are using 10" active drivers up to 350Hz and go down to 29Hz -3dB. After my first satisfying tweaks I adjusted the LFE level in the PrePro  to match 75dB using a -40dBFS test signal from disc. I do use the option to send LFE signals to both front speakers and LFE channel since the subwoofer cut off frequency is set to 40Hz to integrate with the (2 channel) front speakers.
    • By matt9999
      Item: Paradigm Sub-1
      Price: $3300 (firm, >50% of RRP) + courier + 3% paypal if you want to go that way
      Item Condition: No marks that I can see, one of the grill pegs is broken and wedged in hole (shown on photo)
      Reason for sale: redoing room - no room for sub.
      Extra info: As good as reviews indicate.  Its in the cherry finish, which looks alright.  If you desperately wanted black or another colour, I'd suggest a vinyl wrap as an inexpensive way to get there.  Also includes the pbk kit (subwoofer EQ system), original box, receipt (purchased 16 months ago from Eastwood hifi -> it has 20 months of warranty left) .  Specs as per following link, http://www.paradigm.com/products-current/series=signature/model=sub-1/page=specs.  Basically has 6 8" drivers in sealed enclosure, will go reasonably loud and reasonably low and I have not heard it distort.  I think the current Paradigm top of the line sub is near identical to it (I'm struggling to identify a difference in the specs, apart from the colour).  Pick up is preferred, and you'd have to help me lift it into your car, its 50 kg of subwoofer.  I do have the original box - and courier is an option - previous quote about $200 to Melbourne (would need to be confirmed for your destination).

• By GiuseppeBecco
      Item: Parasound A31 Amp, Parasound P7 preamplifier, PS Audio PWDII DAC, PS Audio P10 Powerplant, Velodyne DD15+
      Price: $16,150 Delivery not included
      Item Condition: Used Mint condition would suit a new buyer
      Reason for selling: Moved Interstate for Work and Apartment too small
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Bank Transfer
      Extra Info: This audiophile grade set up was part of a larger 5.1 System. Add another 2 channel amplifier and you will be stunned at the transparency and clarity of this system. The following breakdown is provided for each individual component of the system. If you are in the market for a new system please consider this as you will not be disappointed  with the components as they are in an as new state with manuals, OEM boxes and cables. I have also included some links below to each of the products. I have had a couple of years of amazing listening to this system.

Parasound A31 Amp $3500
      https://www.soundstageaccess.com/index.php/equipment-reviews/629-parasound-halo-a-31-three-channel-power-amplifier
      http://www.parasound.com/a31.php

Parasound P7 preamplifier  $1800
      This preamp works a treat with any BluRay player that has preamp outs and has balanced connections as well.
      http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/amplifier/preamplifier/a-secrets-amplifier-review107/
      http://www.parasound.com/p7.php

PS Audio PWDII DAC $2850
      http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2012/09/psaudio-perfectwave-dac-mkii-review-part-1/

PS Audio P10 Powerplant $3850
      https://www.stereophile.com/content/ps-audio-perfectwave-p10-power-plant-ac-regenerator
      http://www.psaudio.com/products/p10-power-plant/

Velodyne DD15+ $4150
      http://i.nextmedia.com.au/avhub/australian-hifi_reviews_2013_2013-02_velodyne_dd15_plus_subwoofer_review_lowres.pdf

Pictures:

• By superaaaa
      Item: JTR Cap S2
      Price: $2800 + shipping
      Item Condition: Perfect (kept in kids, pets, smoke free environment)
      Reason for selling: Too many subs 
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: 
      Hesitant sale. I’m not sure if there is such thing as too many subs

Twin 18” drivers with 4000W amp (continuous, 6000W peak) – more output than you’ll ever need. In my room, the Cap S2 on its own can get well down below 20Hz getting around 10Hz.

This sub was the reason I spent a lot of time and money sound proofing my current room. In my last house where I first bought it, second night I was using it I had a neighbour come by and politely ask me to put the volume down………as his floors were shaking……….

Despite its power and performance, it’s a relatively shallow sub, offering great placement flexibility. Can be used on its side, or upright (like I have).  

Sealed design, so tight bass – good for both movies and music.

To buy new, will cost you the following: 3000 USD (3800 AUD) + shipping via sea freight ($500) + GST ($430) = $4700 at least

Demo available for local buyers.

I don’t a have a box, so shipping will require a custom box or pallet.

Link to manufacturers website for technical details:
      http://jtrspeakers.com/captivator-s2.html

Just do a search on avs and you’ll find a plethora of feedback.

For reference in the picture, it's the dual upright sub between the centre and left speaker.

Pictures: