Blade Runner 2049

On 1/18/2018 at 12:19 PM, :) al said:

some gripes harrison ford i feel was used as a hook... ie really not much more than a cameo in scheme of things i felt. also the movie is overly long...2 hours 43minutes !!!  really ? but still very much enjoyed it all...but just needs time being set aside and thats for the movie let alone the "hour of epic bonus content" ! 

as a blade runner fan i enjoyed... i wonder where they will take this... as a movie definitely show case stuff :) 

Was the "bonus" content part of the film and was it worth seeing.

I am going to anyway.. ;-)

21 minutes ago, CAVX said:

Yeah and I was one of them that hated this film until the BD of the Final Cut came out.  Over the years, I had attempted to watch the film on VHS (TE?) and possibly LD and just couldn't get past the interview process.  The Director's Cut on DVD was no better for me.

The Final Cut came out on BD boasting a 4K scan of the original negative.  I watched this and was amazed with the stunning image quality.  
When the UHD came out, I just bought that and had after seeing 2049 at the cinema, I was waiting the for BD and of course bought the UHD. 

A bit long, but visually stunning and a great Sci-Fi.    

I think the experience of the film is actually better than the movie itself. I saw it at the cinema when it came out and liked it but probably didn't feel the way about it I do now. I bought the soundtrack and that for  a while became bigger than the film. I went a saw the directors cut or whatever cut it was at the cinema and liked it more the second time. I bought various copies of the DVD when it was not that easy to get until I eventually got a decent blu ray of it. I played it to my son and he should never have liked it. He loves Star Wars but Blade Runner isn't Star Wars. Something worked for him.

As an aside I had a Blade Runner PC game which was not very good but it had a part in it where you went back to Deckards apartment and could just stand out on his balcony and look over the city to some chill background "soundtrack-esque" music. I spent an inordinate amount of time doing that.

I thought the plot was a little lacking, and the movie was a little too long. The visuals in 4K were really good mostly, the scene in the junk yard really stood out compared to the Blu-ray.

Watched it yesterday. Everything I said about Old mate wooden Gosling I stand by. Can’t watch anything he’s in, every movie he has no facial expressions, exactly the same in every movie.

Sorry but didn’t think much of the movie. Way too long. I tried but no good.

I gave it 2 stars, David?

I feel the same about Gosling, it's like watching somebody that is suffering from Bell's Palsy on both sides of his face playing any role he's in [I've suffered Bell's Palsy, quite scary thinking it's possible to be stuck with the paralysis ]

I watched the 3D version at home on the weekend.

The cinematic's of the movie were great, but it was too long and you didn't end up caring about any of the characters , so the whole experience end up being a bland one.

I'm just glad I didn't go to watch it at the theater, my butt can barely handle a average length movie sitting in those uncomfortable theater seats, let alone a marathon viewing session like this one was, I would have been rope-able.

• Like 1

On 27/01/2018 at 6:47 PM, Pops110 said:

Watched it yesterday. Everything I said about Old mate wooden Gosling I stand by. Can’t watch anything he’s in, every movie he has no facial expressions, exactly the same in every movie.

Sorry but didn’t think much of the movie. Way too long. I tried but no good.

I gave it 2 stars, David?

I find the same thing with Scarlet Johansson.  Only has one facial expression no matter the scene or movie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sime said:

Do I need any understanding of the original to understand this new version, I’ve got the 4K of it already. 

I suppose you do, as two of the main characters of the original BR, and what they did, are the reason for BR 2049 existence

1 hour ago, Tweaky said:

Or just go to a JB, look in the 2 for $20 box and grad a copy of the original cheap, watch it, then the sequel, then sell them.

I’d rather watch paint dry than to sit through the original again. 

2 hours ago, Sime said:

I’d rather watch paint dry than to sit through the original again. 

Did you notice in the original the replicants were the ones that were more capable of compassion, displayed more emotions and had more human characteristics  than the actual humans, who seemed stoic, static, wooden and almost robot-like.

It was a fascinating take-away for me, but I dont think I can repeatedly watch it over and over again, its just one of those one off special movies that is best left without a sequel.

I would rather avoid a sequel than spoil the original by watching a bad sequel.

11 hours ago, Shugg said:

Is there any reference to Deckhard being or not being a replicant ?

In the sequel? Not that I can remember.

I cant argue with any comments here about Gosling but for some reason I really like his acting in anything that I have watched.

Edited by Darren69
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Shugg said:

Is there any reference to Deckhard being or not being a replicant ?

No. And I thought best left that way... A great sequel, I may sit down and watch the 4K UHD tonight.

blybo

I have both films in UHD.  My recollection of the first film was all about darkness and shadow - it is much better on UHD.  I was able to get engaged in the UHD version (perhaps I'm 35 years older and can follow some of the story a bit better).

I haven't seen all of the 2049 UHD version yet (saw it at the cinema, but not at home yet).  I'll hold back on commenting on the picture quality till later.

However, as good as the audio was in the original film, the audio in 2049 is at another higher level.

Both films are challenging to follow the first time around - there is a lot of story that you either miss or misunderstand on the first viewing.

Benje

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

In the sequel? Not that I can remember.

I cant argue with any comments here about Gosling but for some reason I really like his acting in anything that I have watched.

Agree am a fan can think few movies he’s done well

reminds me of James Stewart eg in rear window or north by north west

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Benje said:

blybo

I have both films in UHD.  My recollection of the first film was all about darkness and shadow - it is much better on UHD.  I was able to get engaged in the UHD version (perhaps I'm 35 years older and can follow some of the story a bit better).

I haven't seen all of the 2049 UHD version yet (saw it at the cinema, but not at home yet).  I'll hold back on commenting on the picture quality till later.

However, as good as the audio was in the original film, the audio in 2049 is at another higher level.

Both films are challenging to follow the first time around - there is a lot of story that you either miss or misunderstand on the first viewing.

Benje

Fear not. I feel I have just about every version of the original dating back to the VHS release, and also have the UHD now, may watch back to back when have a evening to myself.

4 minutes ago, Benje said:

blybo

Benje

Old movie is a great watch on uhd but tech wise audio and video it’s tough to expect it to match the 2049

the old movie is a hard act to follow as an established classic. Perhaps the sequel will be a future classic ... say in 2049 :D

Watched last night, thanks for the heads up on the length, had it on at 6.30 so I didn't fall asleep!

Overall, pretty impressed, agree with a lot of comments and sentiments here.

The score was superb, even on my low-fi 5.1 system so would be seriously impressive with a good Atmos system

I did get annoyed however with the score at times with the overbearing "background" (foreground?) ships fog horn noises while the cars were flying around and at other times. A bit over the top for me. Must be a hellish place to live if it sounds like that all the time I thought.

Hope I am around long enough to get one of those holographic chicky babes was another thought but that might be wishful thinking :wub:

Definitively one to watch again in a couple of months time, 3.5 stars from me

• Like 1