Blade Runner 2049

52 minutes ago, Sime said:

I’ll give it an hour tonight, I’ll know by that time ……………………

If the well kept secret of the plot doesn’t grab you, then you aren’t into “thinking mans” sci-fi.

1 hour ago, blybo said:

If the well kept secret of the plot doesn’t grab you, then you aren’t into “thinking mans” sci-fi.

What’cha trying to say mate :na:

hatred and zero recollection of the original may be the issue. 

Edited by Sime

22 minutes ago, Sime said:

What’cha trying to say mate :na:

hatred and zero recollection of the original may be the issue. 

Well it’s not Star Wars, it a movie that gets the brain involved. It has a slow burn feel similar to the original but with modern styling and perhaps a bit more commercial than the original, not that helped the box office takings 

I watched the original as a refresher a couple or so months ago, I think it would be worthwhile doing if you haven't seen it for a while.

Not sure anyone who hasn't seen the original will really get into this film tbh, don't think it really works as a standalone film

5 hours ago, Hergest said:

Just watched it. Absolutely loved it and found it quite moving.  A worthy follow up to the original

i want to watch it again ! :D 

I wish i had a spare saturday or something... id do a two up original followed by sequel :)

Ha! I watched mine on my computer screen with the crappy inbuilt speaker and loved it. Reading the posts of people watching it on 3d projectors and proper home theatre set ups makes me wonder how much better it could be.

• Like 2

Watched it last night, only streamed on Google Movies unfortunately.  Wished I'd seen it in the cinema.  Pretty sure I'll buy the Blue Ray.

Loved the way they used the music in the film, will have to buy the soundtrack as well.

Visually it's excellent.  Musically damn good.  Slightly long I guess, but it certainly doesn't suck.  

Will watch again (hopefully in better quality).

• 3 weeks later...

I watched 2049 again a couple of days ago and picked up some mumbled text I missed last time which added to the interest. Really enjoyed it again and I reckon it's going to stand the test of time and always deliver.

Last night I dug out my Directors Cut of the original Blade Runner and watched that. It's interesting how watching the sequel puts the original in a different perspective. Far less darker than I've always felt and there's an upbeat feeling that I'd never felt before as if the state of the planet might actually improve. 2049 shows us there's no hope.

Although I watched them out of sequence they work very well as a pair. I think I'll give it some months, maybe wait for a cold, dark day towards the end of winter and watch the 2 in sequence.

I still can't help but sigh in ecstasy when Sean Young lets her hair down in the original. No matter how many times I watch it that gets to me.

• Like 1

I watched 2049 for the 2nd time on Saturday night, but the first time at home on UHD Disc and what did strike me is either how dark the HDR version is, or how black the blacks are on my JVC X7000 projector. The first scene in particular at the "protein farm" was very dark. I don't remember feeling that at the cinema.

I've also bought the UHD original (which must be close to version number6 I've bought) and will give that a run shortly to compare.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

@Sime

you need to watched the original b4 2049.   As a kid in the 70s in1st watched the original at my uncles place.  Fascinating SiFI! I thought.  Fast forward to today, I made an effort so my daughter saw the original!   Well, I have to say I had a giggle!  Some of the scenes and ideas, without spoiling it,  let's say we don't have flying cars  which is a bummer, and we don't use CRT screens.....    :D    It's a bit like watching old star track series!  :D    But the original Blade Runner has some spectacular scenes for its era.

I haven't seen the new one, but I was never really a fan of the original Blade Runner. However, its been a very long time since I've seen it, so probably should give it another go first.

I might start with Metropolis though, since I bought the 2010 'Reconstructed & Restored' version on blu-ray last week. (Yes, I know its a 1927 silent movie, but its been an influence on many other movies since, including Blade Runner.)

@Addicted to music lol, I’m probably going to sell my unopened 4k disc of 2049, I couldn’t sit through the original again. 

Edit, ok I have zilch to do today, I’ll persevere. 

Edited by Sime