Blade Runner 2049

5 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

This is one of those movies that DEMANDS the cinema experience, no matter how good your home theatre is. I haven’t used my Theatre room this year at all, until after I saw this. It brought the enjoyment and fun back.

good to hear, but we feel are doing better than gold class here :) and  enjoyed more movies have seen at home than say at crowns setup.

but yeah we do still get out and about to the movies but more as asocial experience, night out and such :)

Guest Muon N'

Was watching ScreenPlay just now and Steph' reviewed the movie .I liked her review of this, and it gives me hope that I'll like it too..

Thanks guys . Going this Wednesday. After the news it flopped on release it is great to hear almost unanimous praise here. I am really excited now.

When I first saw the original film I fell in love with the soundtrack as I guess a lot of people did. I have watched it probably a dozen times in a variety of "cuts". I introduced it to my son, who is full on into Star wars, LOTR, etc, to it last year (he is 21) and wasn't sure if it would take given its age and relative lack of action. He loved it for basically the same reasons I do. There is something about the whole mood that possibly makes the film better than it might otherwise be. Even played the PC game which was a dud but had a great part where you could stand out in Deckards apartment balcony and listen to the music and just look at the scenery.  :huh:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JSmith said:

Are you able to elaborate on why you feel this way about the film, without spoilers? :)

JSmith :ninja:

Nothing worthwhile is added to the original ideas. The plot is close to non existent. 

The atmosphere / feel of the original is gone .   

There is little subtlety just an attempt to give you more of everything. 

There seems to be 30 minutes of content dragged out into over  2 hours .

Overall it was just boring . I would estimate 25 % of the audience left before the end. I barely made it through the last 30 mins without screaming out loud in frustration. 

The only interest I could find would be spotting the references to the original and other films but this isnt why I go to the movies.

Cheers Mike

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Ando said:

Nothing worthwhile is added to the original ideas. The plot is close to non existent. 

The atmosphere / feel of the original is gone .   

There is little subtlety just an attempt to give you more of everything.

Were you in the right cinema? I'm struggling to believe you are saying that about the movie I saw. Without wanting to spoil it for others, the plot direction taken was jaw dropping moment for me and a pretty big NEW idea! So glad no trailers or early reviews gave it away.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I think so . I understand that I will have a minority opinion and I wish it was different. I was looking forward to watching this many times over  like the original but this wont be happening.

I agree there was one new idea . It and its obvious ramifications provided the 45 mins  content I mentioned. For me the other nearly 2 hours was pretty much just  filler .

Cheers Mike

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ando said:
Nothing worthwhile is added to the original ideas. The plot is close to non existent.  The atmosphere / feel of the original is gone .    There is little subtlety just an attempt to give you more of everything.  There seems to be 30 minutes of content dragged out into over  2 hours . Overall it was just boring . I would estimate 25 % of the audience left before the end. I barely made it through the last 30 mins without screaming out loud in frustration.   

I too struggle to believe we saw the same movie. Did you not wonder at the end of the original Blade Runner that Deckard could be a replicant? For the very least, this tied-up the story neatly. The new one is slow moving and nothing but beautiful, atmospheric film noir. The beautiful camera work and close-ups, took time to linger on the beautiful sets and lighting design, it was a visual feast for me. Many people thinks Ryan Gosling is wooden but I think he is perfectly cast and I love his understated performance. A lot of the scenes were the beauty in subtlety...

Sure if you expect it to be action packed with loads of fight scene and special effects you would be completely disappointed. Yes it’s long and slow, if you don’t have patience for this sort of movies then it is definitely not for you.

If there’s a recent sequel movie which is better than the original, this is the one!

I love it so much I am going to see it again in IMAX 3D as my friend said it offers better sound, I have also found the dialogues were difficult to follow in Vmax.

Edited by Y B

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 12:03 AM, Keith_W said:

I watched it tonight. Funny you say that, because he was pretty wooden in this film. But then, the guy is a replicant. So maybe they are meant to be wooden like that. 

From memory off the blade runner original, I think there were difference specs of the replicants.  The one's used for 'entertainment' were more bubbly in nature.  As he's supposed to be a 'cop', there is no need for emotions.  I think he played the character well or as well as he could anyways.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, katattack74 said:

From memory off the blade runner original, I think there were difference specs of the replicants.  The one's used for 'entertainment' were more bubbly in nature.  As he's supposed to be a 'cop', there is no need for emotions.  I think he played the character well or as well as he could anyways.

All we needed was a single tear in the final scene... or is that too predictable? I hope most people recognised the music in that scene from the original.

I also have to say I enjoyed the fact that the central question from the original remains ambiguous in the sequel, despite my own views on the topic.

2 hours ago, Y B said:

I too struggle to believe we saw the same movie. Did you not wonder at the end of the original Blade Runner that Deckard could be a replicant? For the very least, this tied-up the story neatly. 

I don’t think that is answered at all, IMO you have made an understandable conclusion, but it is never definitively answered.

Sorry if I spoilt it for you. I added those links after I posted the reply. When I add the links the "Eye" Spoiler icon disappeared and I couldn't add the tag.

It's better for me to remove those links then.

but it is never definitively answered.

True, a good sci-fi movie can never offer a definitive answer, and I wasn't looking for one... I only meant the ending of this new one was beautiful and we don’t need another sequel. [emoji4]

On 10/12/2017 at 7:42 PM, :) al said:

good to hear, but we feel are doing better than gold class here :) and  enjoyed more movies have seen at home than say at crowns setup.

but yeah we do still get out and about to the movies but more as asocial experience, night out and such :)

Not sure why a moderator deleted my previous post, as there was NOTHING in its tone to suggest otherwise, instead Ill just repeat what it said again, in reference to
Al's quote above:
"The cinema experience of this movie is the exception, not the rule. If you feel your home theatre is better than your chosen commercial cinema, you're simply going to the wrong cinema. To go and see this in a proper cinema will only highlight the excitement to watch this at home".

35 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

Not sure why a moderator deleted my previous post, as there was NOTHING in its tone to suggest otherwise, instead Ill just repeat what it said again, in reference to
Al's quote above:
"The cinema experience of this movie is the exception, not the rule. If you feel your home theatre is better than your chosen commercial cinema, you're simply going to the wrong cinema. To go and see this in a proper cinema will only highlight the excitement to watch this at home".

hey hydrology, am not sure what post you feel deleted by a moderator. because looking back on this thread, there isn't one or anything I can see thats been deleted
(or why?) :)

getting back to object of your discussion  i tend to visit a range of cinemas from little small scale upto the crown complex with its massive krix setup ,even sat in THE appointed sweet spot. but no am doing better in my humble home theatre. and it isnt in my opinion that much harder to achieve better in the home. :) theres a few reasons for this. we can achieve some pretty impressive stuff with projection in the home. and am sitting here with immersion to THX spec. On audio front we can achieve quite an awesome enveloping experience in the home  likes of which very difficult to achieve in a commercial theatre given the huge audience the experience needs to cover. and then there is bass. commercial theatres typically tend to hive off below 40hz because it is difficult to control leakage to adjoining theatres let alone adjoining businesses also difficult to energise such a large space that low,. commercial theatres are definitely getting better but its still easy to do better in the home.

thats not to say we down still for outings and social experience not still go watch movies. And we have seen a few movies of late both in the commercial theatres and home and home is in the lead. an exception is imax. i am not trying to recreate an imax experience nor would i be able to replicate its scale, however there are few and far between imax movies I tend to watch :)  

in anycase. I am quite happy if you disagree. am not here to convince you. neither am i to really drag this off thread off topic. take it to pm with me if feel want to pursue... 

27 minutes ago, :) al said:

getting back to object of discussion  i tend to visit a range of cinemas from little small scale upto the crown complex with its massive krix setup ,even sat in THE appointed sweet spot. but no am doing better in my humble home theatre. and it isnt in my opinion that much harder to achieve better in the home. :) theres a few reasons for this. we can achieve some pretty impressive stuff with projection in the home. and am sitting here with immersion to THX spec. On audio front we can achieve quite an awesome enveloping experience in the home  likes of which very difficult to achieve given the huge audience the experience needs to cover. and then there is bass. theatres typically tend to hive off below 40hz because it is difficult to control leakage to adjoining theatres, let alone adjoining businesses. theatres are definitely getting better but its still easy to do better in the home.

have seen a few movies of late both in the theatres and home and home is in the lead. an exception is imax. i am not trying to recreate an imax experience nor would i be able to replicate its scale, however there are few and far between imax movies I tend to watch :)   

Don't need to remind me of this Al, I sell theatre systems for a living.
As you haven;t seen this movie yet, you can't comment on the sense of scale this movie has. I'm sorry, but a 150" screen (give or take) wont do it justice. This does NOT mean it wont be incredibly enjoyable in a home theatre, on the contrary, I cant wait for this to come out on disc, but my original point is there is just some movies than define everything about the art of cinema, this move is one of them and it deserves to be seen on the biggest, loudest system available (of quality of course).

You may of course find it pretty ordinary when you finally do see it at home, in which case all we've discussed is a moot point!

Edited by Hydrology
  • Like 1

And you need to see it in 3D IMAX!

Just saw it the second time. Not only much better sound and the dialogues were easier to follow. I was surprised at the quality of the pictures. It was much better than Vmax in Bondi Junction!

The 3D was very subtle and tastefully done. It subtly gives the pictures a great depth. Nothing fly into your face... Probably one of the most natural 3D I have experience as I did not notice it most of the time. That’s how 3D should be done!

My friend did not think he needs to see it in 3D, but I disagree. I think it’s essential if you like great pictures and great sound.

I certainly have enjoyed it more the second time.