Cheapest 5.1 SACD player

7 minutes ago, powerav said:

What! that is more than a 10 year old product, I wouldn't touch it either. 

Yes everyone knows about the HDMI board issue but gee whiz that was along time ago. Doesn't bother me while the fanboi's stay away from them I'll get a $4000 AVR for $1400 with 12 month warranty, if it stuffs up after that I'll get another one.

Oh the board issue ; found it fascinating seeing all the complaints at avs forum about it before onkyo finally fessed up to the situation :cool: Did them no good for the bottom line $ 

Yeah good for you ; just add a sub with a good auto eq and its a bargain ; all too rare in this hobby :)

12 minutes ago, MLXXX said:

Yes, it's not unusual for the audio of the performance to have been captured as PCM (perhaps 96kHz 24 bit) and then converted to DSD for the SACD. One reason SACD did not take off as a format is that it is impossible or next to impossible to distinguish SACD stereo from CD stereo at usual recording and playback levels. There was no tangible benefit from the format, for stereo material. (The fact that SACDs could also provide surround sound, unlike normal CDs, for some reason did not capture the public's imagination.)

I’m in agreement but the DSD crowd wouldn’t ;)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, cwt said:

just add a sub

Actually I added 2 :)

29 minutes ago, Happy said:

I’m in agreement but the DSD crowd wouldn’t ;)

Yeah probably the same here, no real rush for it. May get a Sony UHD or Oppo player later on and DSD will be a good side benefit.

4 minutes ago, powerav said:

Yeah probably the same here, no real rush for it. May get a Sony UHD or Oppo player later on and DSD will be a good side benefit.

But it is worthwhile checking it out yourself. My advice is to keep an eye on some old flagship or semi flagship SACD players for cheap. I did that and sold it off no regrets lol

Just now, Happy said:

My advice is to keep an eye on some old flagship or semi flagship SACD players for cheap.

The issue there is that they do not have HDMI and my AVR and most other modern ones don't have 5.1 inputs.

1 hour ago, powerav said:

With auto eq I hope ? Or do you have a mini dsp unit or similar sub eq box to sum them together ok ? The accu-eq is a good reason to invest in one :)  Ignore this if its sorted...

7 hours ago, powerav said:

No all good, prefer to rely on my ears rather than a bit of software, I had Audyssey sub eq before and I believe I have it pretty close to that. 

I envy your room and can see the logic of a clean signal [ at least above the sub frequencies where the peaks and nulls tend to be ] :thumb:

14 minutes ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

What about pioneer models?

i have a ev lx50 that's hdmi 1.2 and I think does dsd over hdmi

Yeah, they are on the radar but hard to get, I think I'll probably wait a bit now and get a Sony uhd player when funds permit but I thank you for sticking to the topic and not trying to tell me my room or system is no good.

Edited by powerav

2 hours ago, powerav said:

Yeah, they are on the radar but hard to get, I think I'll probably wait a bit now and get a Sony uhd player when funds permit but I thank you for sticking to the topic and not trying to tell me my room or system is no good.

Does someone need a hug?

• Love 1

12 minutes ago, JSmith said:

Yeah, saw that... just assumed you got both. :D

You seem to be getting some nice kit together.

JSmith :ninja:

Unfortunately not both, funds have dried up now.:(. I don't really need a disc spinner as this is why I was after a cheap one just to try really. 

• 3 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:16 AM, Snoopy8 said:

A few years ago, JB did carry a number of SACDs, but they are all but extinct now...

Hahahaha.  In one JB Hi-Fi store a number of years back I saw a small stand containing DVD-Audio and SACDs.  The ticket writer had scribbled something on the lines "... for those with super hearing....." on it.  I guess it doesn't take too much imagination to assume the staff and management thought the formats were a joke in their eyes.  

Having said that, I ventured into my local JB the other week and they had Quad gear on offer.  Go figure.....   :P

Cheers,

Alan

• Haha 1