Sign in to follow this  
LongtimeListener

Differnt files sizes although accurip checked

Hi All,

I do some re-ripping of my CDs and came across the strange thing that the same sound files from different rips are different in size by 0.2 Mb or so. Both files are certified by Accurip as accurate.

One time the CD has been ripped with Morituri and the other time with cdparanoa (Daphile).

If the size is different there must be more or less sound information, right?

Thanks for your thoughts in advance

Cheers

Posted (edited)

Accurip would be checking the music data. The ripping software may include non-music data (metadata) such as date ripped, artist, album title, tracks, encoder, comments, cover art, etc. Different ripping software may add different metadata, even though the music data is the same. So Accurip would give both files a tick even though the metadata is different.

Also the compression algorithms may be slightly different, too. One ripper may compress for speed and another may compress for size, so the file sizes can be different. Both will re-generate the same music data, though.

--Geoff 

Edited by hired goon

1 hour ago, LongtimeListener said:

As above, not necessarily.... and if AR has verified both of them, then no.

Different settings in the encoder for the file format chosen, or different album art embedded.

Oh, thanks for the clarifications. Makes sense. I did not think about different compression and such...

Thanks

On 07/10/2017 at 6:11 PM, LongtimeListener said:

I do some re-ripping of my CDs and came across the strange thing that the same sound files from different rips are different in size by 0.2 Mb or so. Both files are certified by Accurip as accurate.

One time the CD has been ripped with Morituri and the other time with cdparanoa (Daphile).

If you convert both files to PCM (not WAV) and run diff on the result, you'll see what's what. ffmpeg/avconv or SoX could do this.

If you're archiving in FLAC you can run a checksum test to see that the file integrity is OK.

Morituri uses cdparanoia for the actual ripping, just like Daphine, abcde etc. 

Would also add (though unlikely) that the AccurateRip database doesn't guarantee a correct rip size, just that rips are statistically significant.