tamamontu

Help choosing speakers

Hi Guys, Two days back i got a call from the shop saying the equipment has arrived except the sub. I was bit surprised as earlier this week they said it is delayed by two weeks. Anyways was happy to pick my gear and set it up.

Thanks ALM, the wooden bar at the front of the shelve was attached with screws. I took that whole back out as the middle shelve was also attached to it.

I have connected the speakers in bi-amp mode as off now as plenty of spare channels at this stage. I have followed the marantz auto setup to get the system running and trying to understand various settings. When i did the audessy setup i got a warning saying phase error detected. I doubled checked all the speaker connections there are wired correctly. Dont know why i got the warning msg inspite the cable polarity being correct.

I got a Samsung tv its not 4k tv but does support HDMI CEC, Also got a samsung blu-ray player which supports HDMI CEC. When i switch on the av receiver the tv doesnt come on  automatically. When i connected the tv first time to marantz, it was detecting marantz as a HDMI CEC compatible device. Later I was playing with the settings on marantz and since then the tv doesnt detect marantz as HDMI CEC compatible.  Still learning various settings and its effects.

The speakers sound pretty good, do miss the sub and surround sounds. Watched a Transformers movie yesterday the effect was pretty good but without he sub and surround sound it was bit different.

20171022_143028.jpg

Thanks Mike, When i auditioned to REL T9 vs Krix SEISMIX 3 MK6, i couldnt feel much effect from REL T9, i dont know whether it was settings or what. But when we were switching between the subs the difference was noticeable. The price diff between T7 and Krix Seismix and SVS Pb1000 was around 200-250$. I went with PB1000 as with REL i could notice the difference. Also got a pretty good price for PB1000.

After watching the Transformers movie, I did notice the different of not having the surround sounds. I am considering getting two  surround speakers. Has anyone had any experience with Krix Dynamix. Is it better to go with the same brand for all the speakers. The store from where i got my equipment had some yahama ns-ic600 exdemo on clearance and was being offered for less  than 300 for pair.  One think with the yahama was that they are open from the back, as they go in ceiling i am not comfortable with it being open so might pass them.     

I decided to keep all the surrounds from the same brand, which used the same drivers for on walls and in ceilings.

I used the krix dynamics and atmopherix. The main decision to go with the atmospherix was the fact they included the back boxes to keep the crap out.

17 hours ago, tamamontu said:

I have connected the speakers in bi-amp mode as off now as plenty of spare channels at this stage. I have followed the marantz auto setup to get the system running and trying to understand various settings. When i did the audessy setup i got a warning saying phase error detected. I doubled checked all the speaker connections there are wired correctly. Dont know why i got the warning msg inspite the cable polarity being correct.

Try bringing the main speakers forward of the entertainment unit by a couple of cm, toe them in slightly, and run the calibration again - my SR6010 used to tell me the same thing about my centre speaker, which was recessed into the entertainment unit a bit. Think it's just a bad acoustics thing.

Thanks Twofires, I will give that a shot and see if the error goes away.

One more question in regards to the speaker cable. The shop gave me translucent speaker cable, Its quite thick also, I forgot to ask the gauge, will ask it. But the thing which i am trying to sort out is that. When you strip the wire to expose the coper, after twisting it, not all the strands go into the terminal holes on speakers. I had couple of instances when I tried to move the speakers the cable got pullled little bit and came out from the terminals, even though they were pretty tight.

I was thinking of tinning them with solder, or then crimp them.

For the most part the larger cable is to reduce resistance along the signal path, once it reaches the terminal it doesn't matter too much. (Purists will argue this I'm sure)

So for now you could just trim some of the strands until it neatly twists into the terminal until you can get some proper terminations like bananas or spades?

Hi Guys, I have been searching for gold plated spade plugs, what is the best source to buy them. I found some at Selby, Spacehifi, costing approx 4$ per connector.

Thanks

11 hours ago, tamamontu said:

Hi Guys, I have been searching for gold plated spade plugs, what is the best source to buy them. I found some at Selby, Spacehifi, costing approx 4$ per connector.

Thanks

Try Altronics or Jaycar and ebay

Edited by Al.M

Thanks guys i found some connectors on ebay so ordered them.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/20-Pcs-Nakamichi-24K-Gold-Plated-Speaker-Cable-Wire-Connector-4mm-Banana-Plug/261563236710?hash=item3ce6624166:g:JlYAAOSw0RlZcFCN

I also ordered two krix Dynamix for surround sound. I am still waiting for the sub to arrive, haven't tried setting audessy again. Will wait till all the stuff arrives.

On 10/22/2017 at 5:35 PM, tamamontu said:

When i did the audessy setup i got a warning saying phase error detected. I doubled checked all the speaker connections there are wired correctly. Dont know why i got the warning msg inspite the cable polarity being correct.

I had the same issue once, I believed that it was reflection from a side window/wall/corner and the microphone being in a "perfect" spot for it. I put up a curtain over the blind and haven't had the issue again.

Thanks Mikeyday, As you can see from the photo posted earlier the speakers are close to the wall, also on one side we got a window. It does have curtains over it. I will  try doing the setup again, just waiting for remaining bits to arrive.

I am wondering if having a power amplifier makes any difference. I am sure it makes some difference but the thing which i am trying to understand is that when someone is listening at mid range volumes does it really make a difference with an amp. For eg my Marantz has a sticker at the front saying 185 watts, the speakers are rated at 50-250watts RMS.

17 hours ago, tamamontu said:

I am wondering if having a power amplifier makes any difference. I am sure it makes some difference but the thing which i am trying to understand is that when someone is listening at mid range volumes does it really make a difference with an amp. For eg my Marantz has a sticker at the front saying 185 watts, the speakers are rated at 50-250watts RMS.

Not much

this is the problem of the way many makers of avr's print pure, non world, impractical B.S.  185w per channel.. thats if you are only using 1 speaker and at a THD level you wont accept.. 6 ohm, 1 kHz, 1%, 1ch Drive 185 W

a separate amp is useful if your avr is being pushed too hard and you can hear sound distortion (clipping) i doubt you are pushing the marantz that hard.

it actually does not take a lot of watts to drive most speakers. but there are many variables and personal choices that lead to people choosing avr/separates.

but anyway 185w.. it aint.

Thanks Al.M, Hopefullguy.

Interesting article.

I checked the spec sheet online and there it says 110W RMS per channel. Its bit confusing as so many different ratings for the output.

Hi Guys, Got the Krix Dynamix surround sound speakers over the weekend, Still waiting for subwoofer, but the sales person was happy to lend one till my subwoofer arrives.

Thanks Mikeday, twofires

about suggesting pulling the speakes in front. I pulled the speakers in front from the wall and re-did the Audessy setup again. No errors this time.

With the subwoofer and surround sound it makes a huge difference to the sound effects. Absolutely worth it. It perfectly makes sense to keep the speakers form same brand.

Still having issues with the HDMI control, will play with the settings this weekend again and try to get it working.

I am currently using the bluray player from in-box home theater which i had earlier, each time i want to use the blu ray need to turn on the audio on HDMI. The player doesnt save the settings.

Mate sounds like you did really well here!

The 4300, SVS PB-1000 and matching Krix speakers all round definitely has the makings of a kickass home theatre set up. TBH it's nice to see someone do some much stuff right the first time round, I know I sure didn't! 

Have a read of the "Official Audyssey"  thread at Avsforum.com. Running Audyssey correctly makes a HUGE difference IMHO 

Thanks Jamiebosco for your feedback. I must say this forum was very helpfull in providing the right direction for a novice like me.  I will read the Audyssey thread as there are a lot of settings i am trying to understand in terms of what they are for and how it changes the effect.

1 hour ago, tamamontu said:

Thanks Jamiebosco for your feedback. I must say this forum was very helpfull in providing the right direction for a novice like me.  I will read the Audyssey thread as there are a lot of settings i am trying to understand in terms of what they are for and how it changes the effect.

Throw any questions in here, will be the fastest way to work it out. I'll have a crack at answering any I can. And I'm sure resident Denon and Audyssey expert @:) al will definitely be able to answer anything you throw at him

44 minutes ago, jamiebosco said:

Throw any questions in here, will be the fastest way to work it out. I'll have a crack at answering any I can. And I'm sure resident Denon and Audyssey expert @:) al will definitely be able to answer anything you throw at him

hey JB, not sure on the expert bit but happy to help best I can.

for the OP THE best guide coming off the official audyssey thread is this one from giomania

http://www.willowville.net/ht/Audyssey Setup Guide.pdf

and it really helps to follow by the letter, where people get wierd results they have usually gone astray or expecting the system to perform a minor miracle where has its limitations with what can achieve given  set context/room setting.

if wanting the extensive FAQ on audyssey below is a good resource.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/795421-official-audyssey-thread-faq-post-51779-a-1726.html#post21782993

to the OP a few can see in your setup id tweak before audyssey. id move the centre speaker forward on the cabinet so closer to the edge. and id move those side speakers so not stuck hard up to the cabinet either.

additionally look at your main listening position, is it around 2/3 room length, id try to get that there rather than back of room up against the wall if have that way ? 

anyways good luck with things. audyssey is indeed a brilliant thing in what can achieve even if not miracles  ! 

Thanks Al, I have pulled the center speaker in front and will move the side speakers away from the cabinet. Unfortunately the seating position cant be move due to door on the other end of the hall.

Still waiting for the sub,  its been finally dispatched but still waiting for it to arrive in WA.

Hi Jamiebosco, Al,

I had a read through the links for Audessy setup and its prerequisite. Definitely when i did my Audessy setup i made quite a few mistakes. I am planning to do it again once i get my sub.

My main concern is that, the setup says that you should not place the mic close to wall, minimum distance is 2 feet. My setup is in a Hall/TV room, dont have a separate theater room and the room is rectangular.

TV on one end and sitting on the end of the hall. So the sofa is right in front of the wall. This means our main sitting position is with 2 feets from the wall. Audessy does 8 point measurement, now for measurement 7 and 8 it says to put the mic behind the sitting position. In my case its not possible, plus the mic needs to be atleast 2 feets away from the wall.

Also it mentions that configure the speakers to be small instead of large so that the receiver will manage the BASS via the sub more effectively. Do i do this even thought the front/centre speakers are not really small.

I configured the corss over to all at 80Hz, Audessy configured it to be 40 for all of them.

8 hours ago, tamamontu said:

Hi Jamiebosco, Al,

I had a read through the links for Audessy setup and its prerequisite. Definitely when i did my Audessy setup i made quite a few mistakes. I am planning to do it again once i get my sub.

My main concern is that, the setup says that you should not place the mic close to wall, minimum distance is 2 feet. My setup is in a Hall/TV room, dont have a separate theater room and the room is rectangular.

TV on one end and sitting on the end of the hall. So the sofa is right in front of the wall. This means our main sitting position is with 2 feets from the wall. Audessy does 8 point measurement, now for measurement 7 and 8 it says to put the mic behind the sitting position. In my case its not possible, plus the mic needs to be atleast 2 feets away from the wall.

Also it mentions that configure the speakers to be small instead of large so that the receiver will manage the BASS via the sub more effectively. Do i do this even thought the front/centre speakers are not really small.

I configured the corss over to all at 80Hz, Audessy configured it to be 40 for all of them.

First thing I would recommend is to get a Boom Mic stand, best thing I did for making this process both easier and more accurate

Mate you can only do what you can do,having seating up against the back wall is usually not recommended but in the real world, sometimes compromises have to be made. Can you put a picture up of the Main listening position? Can the seating come forward at all? You can get some nice looking acoustic panels and put them up on the back wall behind the seating to help with rear reflections, I like these https://www.swamp.net.au/4x-fibreglass-acoustic-treatment-panel-beige-sand-large they are super easy to put up. They come with "impalers" and you can use Command adhesive tabs as the panels are lightweight.

When you get your subwoofer - yes set speakers to Small . Try 60-80Hz crossover and see what you like best. The Small/Large setting has nothing to do with the physical size of the speakers, it's about bass management. My LCR's have dual  10" woofers and my surrounds have a single 10" woofer and I cross them all over at 80Hz. Subs are DESIGNED to play the 20-100hz bandwidth

Edited by jamiebosco

Hi  Jamiebosco, thanks for the link for the panels will look into.

I got a tripod, and the audessy mic which i got with the receiver can be attached to the tripod. While doing the calibration I placed the mic on the tripod.

Yesterday finally i got my sub. Its pretty good as compared to the loaner which i had, loaner was focal one. I attempted re-calibrating  audessy last night again, initially I kept the sub-woofer volume at 50%, but Audessy complained that it was too loud, so had to wind it down.

I have attached the layout for our hall. 

Sp_Layout.JPG