Gieseler Audio

Groß DAC owner's thread.

4 minutes ago, bhobba said:

For speakers that sensitive - the Prima Luna Dialogue Premium.   Get it upgraded as finances permit.   When fully upgraded it in the same class as the much more expensive BHK.

For low sensitivity speakers like my Magnesium's the BHK 250 or Arions.

For high sensitivity speakers - say 89db (but no lower) and above a Perfectus amp - could be the best amp I have ever heard and the price is paltry:

http://www.perfectusaudio.com/

I have purchased one and will be getting it delivered to Mike to use in checking out the high sensitivity speaker he is looking to build.   It should run, just, the ML5's at low volume levels.

I can't see any prices on their website.  They look very well put together - do you have a ball park price for these units? 

13 minutes ago, scumbag said:

I can't see any prices on their website.  They look very well put together - do you have a ball park price for these units? 

Sure - about $2500 for the amps - like I said paltry.

The secret is, as it is for most valve amps, the output transformer used.   The guy spent over a year designing listening, designing etc.   He gets each one individually computer wound to his specifications.

But remember - just 4-5 watts - your speakers must be at least 89db and even then don't expect thunderous levels.   I heard them on 100db speakers and they did thunderous levels - but as you go lower in sensitivity your millage may vary.  Both me and Rawl99 think it will run the Ml5's at reasonable levels - but no lower in sensitivity.  We did this by measuring the  SPL coming out of some ML5's while listening at normal levels from our listening position and measuring the SPL at 1 meter, then converting it back to the power needed to produce that level.   Rawl who installs systems for a living though it would be fine - but you would not want to go any lower in sensitivity.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba

On ‎22‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 11:54 AM, awayward said:

I have a PS Audio DirectStream DAC, I was using its digital volume control, purchased a Parasound JC2 pre amp and now use its volume, SQ improved considerable with addition of the pre-amp.

Just wondering if you considered simply spending that extra $5K on a higher quality DAC/PRE instead?

My friends' Jeff Rowland Aeris can be had for a little over $10K and is a VERY impressive unit..........haven't heard the PS Audio DS or Parasound JC2 though!!!!

Allowing for system dependency it would still be interesting to know which approach may potentially offer the best SQ and VFM.

Edited by JohnL

On 26/01/2018 at 10:18 PM, JohnL said:

My friends' Jeff Rowland Aeris can be had for a little over $10K and is a VERY impressive unit..........haven't heard the PS Audio DS or Parasound JC2 though!!!!

Haven't heard it so I cant say.

I got both the pre and DS Junior as a double deal at a good price.  I had feedback on how good the BHK was so thought - what the heck.   

Cant get and check out everything.  But if you want to buy it and compare it be my guest.

Thanks

Bill

Only the very best pre's like the AR10 or BHK are woth it IMHO and they do make a difference:
They all have one characteristic though - they cost - by which i mean about $10k - the so and so's.  I wish it wasn't like that but it s. Below that my experience is its not worth it - direct connect it.

The 64 million dollar question is why?  It can only subtract - not make better.   The answer would seem to be some very slight euphonics are being added that your ear easily detects but are not that easy to detect by measurements.  These make it sound more real.

Thanks
Bill

I've heard the direct stream with a few different pre's and even the Parasound p5 was an improvement over the internal volume control. Very sad to discover but true to my ears.

As always best to try for yourself and see what you think. There are shops around where you can play around and find a combo you like.

Sponsor

Hi guys,

can we please get back on topic.

I started this mainly to get feedback from owners.

Thanks.

Cheers Clay

Sorry didn't realise which thread I was commenting in.
Feel free to delete.

Sponsor

That's fine - all good!