Gieseler Audio

Groß DAC owner's thread.

49 minutes ago, Stereophilus said:

@bhobba was your version with the amanero USB board?

Yes,he has the Amanero USB only version, see earlier review:

Edited by Snoopy8
Typos

4 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Yes,he has the Amanero USB only version, see earlier review:

Hi Snoop,

as per here:

I thought @bhobba was ordering the Singxer USB version? I just wondered which version he ended up getting as his report states just that it was the “USB only” version, not whether it was the Amanero or Singxer...

Edited by Stereophilus

On 31/08/2017 at 3:46 PM, bhobba said:

Hi Guys

Sent Clay an email to order one.  Just spoke to soimeone whose ears I trust, but cant name who was VERY impresssed - that good enough for me.

Want the Singxer version.

Will be giving Clay a special notebook I have purchased just for Music.

It will run HQPlayer and upsample everything to 768K - which is getting close to DSD anyway.  My current experimentation showed music was dull then up-sampled it to DXD (354k) and it came alive.  Used the Direct Stream DAC which does massive up-sampling itself, so obviously HQPlayer up-sampling is better than what the DS does.  But it really up-samples - to 10XDSDS- wow.

Thanks

Bill

Sorry, that other link crapped out. The above is what I was referring to.

@Stereophilus I don't think Clay actually successfully managed to use the Singxer in his DAC. I believe Clay mentioned later in the topic that he couldn't use it.

EDIT: By the way, I'm getting some weird playback issues occasionally on my WINDOWS 10 PC in that at times, JRiver will refuse to play my music saying the hardware doesn't support its standard rate even though I know it does. 

Edited by Suopermanni

The Singxer F1 does not have the exact same pin layout as the Amanero board as originally thought and isn't a direct substitute for the Amanero, so a Singxer F1 based Groß DAC is unlikely as it would require a significant redesign.

Hey guys, can someone give me a quick rundown on what the options in HQPlayer does? There's so many filters and upsampling/downsampling bits that I don't know where to start!

@Stereophilus Clay did try the Singxer and it was not compatible with the Amanero and abandoned that project. He also mentioned that the Singxer was poor quality.

13 minutes ago, Suopermanni said:

EDIT: By the way, I'm getting some weird playback issues occasionally on my WINDOWS 10 PC in that at times, JRiver will refuse to play my music saying the hardware doesn't support its standard rate even though I know it does. 

Did you use the Amanero driver?  Also, you may have to use DoP?

Yes, first thing I did when I connected the DAC was install the win10 version of the driver! And no, surprising when using DSD, I never had to use DOP.

Sponsor

Make sure in JRiver you select

“Combo 384 ASIO “ as the output device.

Output encoding to “none”

Bistreaming to “DSD”

1 hour ago, jermaink said:

The Singxer F1 does not have the exact same pin layout as the Amanero board as originally thought and isn't a direct substitute for the Amanero, so a Singxer F1 based Groß DAC is unlikely as it would require a significant redesign.

Clay is going to be building these for a while so it will not happen quickly.  But Clay may take the time out eventually to do a Singster version - maybe when a new version of the DAC chip is released.

Thanks

Bill