Gieseler Audio

Groß DAC owner's thread.

I have made two changes to my system in the last month, one of which was putting two very pretty handcrafted wooden knobs on the front of my Artisan amp instead of the standard chrome metal ones that Earle puts on.
Whilst this has made the amplifier even nicer to look at, I am not convinced that the superior sonic qualities and low resonance that wooden knobs will impart to ones system can be wholly responsible for the fact that the system is now sounding the best that I have heard it.

I do suspect that the the other item that is newly acquired may be the cause of my sonic bliss. I have had the Groß DAC installed for a little over a month and can honestly say that it is wonderful. I now tend to spend quite a lot of time sitting in front of the speakers trying to read, but I am constantly being distracted by the "Wow, listen to that" factor as the Groß continues to dazzle me with its performance.

ABSOLUTELY TOP MARKS CLAYTON!!  :party:party

Edited by Ancientflatulence

40 minutes ago, Ancientflatulence said:

... "Wow, listen to that factor" as the Groß continues to dazzle me with its performance.

Couldn't agree more :thumb:

Curious what your previous DAC was and whether you did a comparison?

Thanks to @bhobba, I now have a Geiseler GroB DAC in my possession...ON LOAN OF COURSE! It's a bit beyond my budget to purchase outright at the moment! 

Has anyone noticed that the GroB DAC does improve a noticeable amount when it is powered on for at least a day? I mean, it was no slouch to begin with, equalling my Gungnir Multibit in my preference order of sound on first power on. It sounded different, of course as Gungnir Multibit is a R2R DAC.

Edited by Suopermanni

Hi Suopermanni

Just about all pieces of gear imporve with burn in.  That DAC is very new so its no suprise a day burn in will be noticeable.   As you listen more you will likely find it changes further.

If you have a DAC you think sounds better let us know - but I am bettng that will be highly unlikely - but one never knows.

Thanks

Bill

Holy crap Clay. 

I have just plugged in my new GroB dac, that I picked up from Clay on thursday.  It’s replacing a PS Audio Nuwave DSD dac.   No slouch in itself. 

Well I’ll that was until I fired up the GroB.  As the title says. Holy crap.  The soundstage just increased.  There is a depth of detail that I’ve never experienced before.  I’ve owned clays Klein and Klein II Dacs but this blows even them away.  I haven’t even touched DSD files yet.  I’m streaming some Tidal MQA titles at the moment through a bluesound node 2.  

Lets say im in heaven.  I am now going to start changing some of the filters and see what happens. 

Mr Gieseler.  Your a genius 

I’ll report Back in a week or so when this little gem has properly burnt In

Edited by Bill125812

Okay, tried some high res stuff on the GroB DAC that @bhobba lent me including some DSD from demo pieces from 2L High Resolution Music Test Bench. While I could not really differentiate between the different bit-rates, I was struck by the recordings. It's well done and though way different to what I listen to, it is quite an eye opener. 

EDIT: Yes, the GroB DAC does play the DSD via Bitstreaming on JRiver. No need for DoP.

EDIT2: Played one of my go-to tracks (mostly because I like it and know it) and I detected some definite differences to now compared to start and to burnt in Gungnir Multibit! Now this is better!

Edited by Suopermanni

23 hours ago, Suopermanni said:

Played one of my go-to tracks (mostly because I like it and know it) and I detected some definite differences to now compared to start and to burnt in Gungnir Multibit! Now this is better!

Yes it will get better with time.  Have been told, via some second hand private feedback, of a comparison that shows again what a giant killer this little DAC is - but need to confirm it personally before I can post.  That will happen early in the new year.

Sorry Suopermanni will need it back then for that comparison  - but don't worry - over a week still to go and looking forward to your further impressions :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Also when doing comparisons your go-to tracks that you know and like are the best to use.  It's what I always do - but also to be fair listen to some other stuff as well to get a rounded picture.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba

59 minutes ago, bhobba said:

Yes it will get better with time.  Have been told, via some second hand private feedback, of a comparison that shows again what a giant killer this little DAC is - but need to confirm it personally before I can post.  That will happen early in the new year.

Sorry Suopermanni will need it back then for that comparison  - but don't worry - over a week still to go and looking forward to your further impressions :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Also when doing comparisons your go-to tracks that you know and like are the best to use.  It's what I always do do - but also to be fair listen to some other stuff as well to get a rounded picture.

Thanks

Bill

@bhobba Of course of course! It is YOUR Dac after all that I'm borrowing. When you need it back, let me know and let's arrange something so I can return it!