Gieseler Audio

Groß DAC owner's thread.

Sponsor

The official release thread is quite long so I thought it best to start a separate one where owners can leave feedback.  

Edited by Gieseler Audio

Received unit late yesterday.

Wow - very impressed. Wider staging, more detail, tighter bass, more natural, transparent.  

What is particularly good is how it improved 16/44.1 PCM (CD material).  Also quickly tried DSD, definitely an improvement.

Unit much smaller than Audiolab DAC. Will post detailed review later in week

15069865531581911410429.jpg

I'm very keen to receive mine now.

I'll use USB from a network audio device. Family still likes CD, so if anyone can recommend a CD transport to use with the new DAC, please PM me; I don't want to derail the thread.

Decided that the Groß deserved a separate review on its own.

On 03/10/2017 at 11:43 AM, Raffinator said:

I'll use USB from a network audio device. Family still likes CD, so if anyone can recommend a CD transport to use with the new DAC, please PM me; I don't want to derail the thread.

Am using Sotm SMS-200, works well.

Family? Cannot see kids today using CDs!  Must be better half still clinging to the physical disk? :lol:

Am using Sotm SMS-200, works well.

Family? Cannot see kids today using CDs!  Must be better half still clinging to the physical disk? :lol:

Yeah pretty much...

I’m on the Roon bandwagon these days, but with Sonore endpoints not SoTM.

Kids are young and just do what mummy does. Once they get their own iPad it will be game over.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Excellent hi-re samples from 2L for testing your Groß.  All have different hi-res versions of the same recordings, which will allow you to make some interesting comparisons. Assuming of course that you can hear the difference :excl:

http://www.2l.no/hires/

5 hours ago, Raffinator said:

Thanks to Clay's magic, we can now do DSD512

See his post in https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/232237-gieseler-groß-dac-official-release/?page=6&tab=comments#comment-3778150

That's my baby being worked on! Ready to microRendu to DSD512 when it arrives.

I assume you are using Roon or HQPlayer upsampling?   Will be interesting to hear your thoughts on how the Groß manages the various DSD formats.  Have difficulty telling apart DSD64 & DSD128, admittedly on limited materials

2 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

I assume you are using Roon or HQPlayer upsampling?   Will be interesting to hear your thoughts on how the Groß manages the various DSD formats.  Have difficulty telling apart DSD64 & DSD128, admittedly on limited materials

Spot on. Roon to DSD256 and HQPlayer to DSD512. Fingers crossed.