PC vs. PS4 Pro only for gaming

It’s been a good while since i’ve played anything on pc. Last game i tried to play was far cry new dawn and it just kept crashing. That’s my main issue with pc gaming, it’s never a smooth experience. Tried to play shadow of the tomb raider too but that was a hot mess so got it on ps4 instead.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I tried consoles . . . .hated the controller . . . nowhere near as accurate as keyboard and mouse . . . . . give me a pc anyday

If budget is of concern then definitely console but for best performance/visuals and options PC is the way to go.   I have had both PlayStation/Xbox consoles and PC over the years , early on

good morning   thanks @:) al   guys, first of all I suggest we respect others opinions even if we do not fully agree with them and stay open minded, we all have different experienc

It's been a good while for me now too, I used to have a semi competent rig, that I could get by on. Eventually it started to die and I just cannibalised off the parts that still worked and sold them. If I'm gonna get a new PC it probably won't be till around the time the PS5 and XSX are released. I will wanna get similar performance to them for things that I will most likely only play on PC.

On 17/01/2020 at 5:31 PM, zeogold92 said:

It's been a good while for me now too, I used to have a semi competent rig, that I could get by on. Eventually it started to die and I just cannibalised off the parts that still worked and sold them. If I'm gonna get a new PC it probably won't be till around the time the PS5 and XSX are released. I will wanna get similar performance to them for things that I will most likely only play on PC.

I own a few consoles including a PS4 Pro but I do the majority of my gaming on PC. 
If the PS5 or new Xbox ever have native Keyboard and Mouse support, I probably wouldn’t upgrade my PC.

It really is easier just to insert a game and play. 

1 minute ago, Batty said:

I just play Eve online on my PC.

I spent far too much time on Eve. I ended up giving my two characters (150mil combined SP) to a mate. 
I would like to get back into Elite Dangerous again though, that definitely scratched that Eve itch. 

8 hours ago, Mungbean66 said:

I own a few consoles including a PS4 Pro but I do the majority of my gaming on PC. 
If the PS5 or new Xbox ever have native Keyboard and Mouse support, I probably wouldn’t upgrade my PC.

It really is easier just to insert a game and play. 

Yeah having native keyboard and mouse support would be a godsend. It make playing competitive online shooters so much more enjoyable. 

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

I tried consoles . . . .hated the controller . . . nowhere near as accurate as keyboard and mouse . . . . . give me a pc anyday

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Since Covid and being retired and unable to go out anywhere significant -  I bought a s/h PS3 and I agree with the general view about PC's. I was never really serious about gaming - and also I am a Mac guy who has refused to update machines since Apple became evil with the new un-moddable models - and while my trusty 2012 MBP and Imac will run some decent games - they arent really designed for it even running bootcamp and windows.

On the other hand, my nephew games on a PC - it cost him about 2k to put together -  my PS3 cost 150 bucks with controllers and the games less than 10 bucks each...which suits my retiree existence/budget in a Covid uncertainty..

I could say that playing on a controller is definitely a pain compared to a keyboard and mouse - but I'm viewing it as a new skill set. Graphics and loading times leave the macs for dead in both detail and speed of course. ...The only problem as I found out is that the DLC's for some games are no longer available for the platform...anywhere....

I have both 

Some of the best titles are not available for PC, such as the last of us, God of war and ghost of tsushima. 

if you are into FPS shooting games, go with PC. Consoles are better for almost everything else.

oh if you have a home theatre setup, the sound experience is phenomenal on the consoles. way better than most of the movies. it's INTERACTIVE, the dialogue and effects change directions as you turn. I use the game to test my HT speakers' consistency 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

nearly 4 years since the build and water pump/block starting to showing its age, need to buy new one ? at the same time thinking to change the mobo and proc (consequently RAM) as I planed to do it anyway so...

ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING

AMD RYZEN 5 3600

Patriot Viper Steel Series 32GB KIT DDR4 3200Mhz

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

finally got all the parts so spent last Saturday on rebuilding, below parts I chosen at the end, hopefully no troubles considering good quality parts...

IMG_3022.thumb.JPG.105114c3da94a3ae2bc689e0e0350c58.JPG

all went smooth so just connect it all and let it boot

IMG_3033.thumb.JPG.f8b43d74b44c5cdd649494fd5c91674e.JPG

right... not a chance, there are 4 led diodes under the ram modules indicating if there's any trouble with HW, yep, two of them lit like crazy indicating there's an issue with ram and graphic card

upon search with uncle google I realised Asus wasn't the best choice, lots of troubles and compatibility issues with V1 boards, so stay away from this board, Asus released V2 version but forgot to mark it properly on the box so you don't know upfront which one will be in the store so playing lottery isn't the best idea 

well, lesson learned, back to my "go to" brand in last 10 years (gigabyte) , placed order on Saturday, Monday picked it up and today spend additional time on yet another rebuild

IMG_3045.thumb.JPG.6ed6b1d5ef92d784dcf52d800a196ec9.JPG   

hooked it all up and voilà all works as it should, windblows booted up like nothing has happened, just installed couple of drivers and back in business 👍

IMG_3055.thumb.JPG.86b02146dc6395bcb54dcbf15de629b8.JPG

• Like 2

Although I used ASUS last time I have always gone for Gigabyte, very solid brand especially where compatibility is concerned.

Looks nice, Daniel :thumb:

Edit: @kukynas what case is that?

Edited by muon*
  • Like 1

I wanted to try Asus for their very good reputation amongst the gamers community and I still think they product excellent rig but in this case with this specific board it didn’t go as expected...

case is this https://www.phanteks.com/Eclipse-P400S.html in white with solid side panels, dampening material on all panels and dust filters everywhere so even after longer time it doesn’t get too messy inside

• Like 1

If budget is of concern then definitely console but for best performance/visuals and options PC is the way to go.

I have had both PlayStation/Xbox consoles and PC over the years , early on it was a 6 month cycle for PC upgrades to stay up to date and I grew tired of this and moved to consoles for a while , 2 years ago I moved back to PC due to wanting to try out iracing ( irenting , bloody rip-off , crap  car handling , Rfactor 2 is so much better ) and have only upgraded once in that 2 year period , so it seems this has slowed down and you don't need to update as frequently to play the latest games.

With consoles the peripheral options are limited unlike PC eg. Motion rigs , buttkickers , extra gauges , displays , DD wheels

I only play driving games so the PC with a full driving rig was the best option for me.

Water cooled I5-10600KF

RTX3080

16gb ram

1tb nvme m.2 SSD 

Samsung 49" Ultrawide monitor 5120 x 1440 ( I actually prefer this over a triple setup or VR )

HP Reverb G2 VR headset

Fanatec DD1 wheelbase with Mclaren GT3 wheel

HE Pro Pedals

Trackracer TR80 aluminum rig with the inverted pedal mount and SAAS Kombat seat.

So I will be on PC for many years to come.

Edited by DavidH71
  • Like 2