PC vs. PS4 Pro only for gaming

Guest Muon N'
5 hours ago, Dylan86.exe said:

I'm the opposite. I hate open world games. They're so big and take forever to finish anything. I don't have the time for it. Give me a story i can enjoy (like a movie):)

Were all different, with differen't fits.

Variety is the spice of gaming ;)

Guest Muon N'

Ah, got Lost Alpha sorted, the latest bug was in the stupid user :lol:

Budget ati card so just lowered graphics to medium and lifted resolution to 1920/1200 and now not crashing.

Edit: seems the default settings were at times calling on capabilities the budget card couldn't do, the bug on startup after install was different.

Edit again: Damn it! was a small patch I had forgotten taking it from v1.4000 to 1.4002, so had to start a new game, but is looking adn behaving better for it. Now to chow down on some tinned Rat Pie before the next mission :ohmy:

Edit: Loving it now, no crashes and I am progressing. Have a stalker suit that I have upgraded with oxygen tanks and plate armour, upgraded my Viper5 and default pistol too. Have one good (all +) artefact on my belt as well. But It's 2.30am in game and I tried to head to the next mission but It's friggin dark and mutants out in higher numbers! Will have to sit it out till light. The stealth mission earlier was interesting, stood on a sleeping enemy grunt's head while trying to get out a window and nearly woke him up...oops! wrong window :lol:

Edit: After being ravaged by a Blind Dog last night, I'm going back in :)

Edited by Muon N'

my all time favorite were Settlers, Command & Conquer, Medal of Honor and Crysis, maybe few more but these are the best

PC is up and running so small update

positives:

+ PC is fast and pretty quiet

+ all the aps and origin installed without issues

+ monitor is huge, colors are punchy and vibrant, excellent contrast, fast 100 hz, black levels are magnitude better then old monitor

+ sound from the monitor is pretty good, definitely usable means I can get rid off old speakers

negatives and items to solve (if possible):   

- PC case touch controls are power supplied with strange 4Pin connector, something like old Floppy disc mechanics, have to check if I can find one otherwise no reset button, no color change etc, below picture...

- Fans are manually set to 750rpm but still audible so will need play with setting if I can lower it

- HDMI connection doesn't work, once monitor goes to sleep mode it won't wake up, you have to turn whole computer off, fortunately display port works without issues so can live with that

- this is big one, monitor leaks light under certain (from top) angle on the left bottom as shown on the picture, during the day it's ok but during the night it's pretty annoying especially if you are aware of it, not sure what to do with it yet if return monitor or with decreasing of brightness it might disappear as mentioned below

- uniformity of backlight across the panel isn't as accurate as I expected, not bad like my old monitor but I expected more

- black levels aren't as good as I expected from quantum dot panel (I own QD TV) but magnitude better than my previous S-VA monitor, see below picture when set to 90%, I might decrease it to 80-70% to see if it improves without sacrificing overall brightness  

- due to size of the monitor you really have to turn your head around especially if you are working with more files, didn't tried gaming yet so will see

- I will need to speed up my mouse DPI like 2x for standard work, for gaming most probably 4x, due to size of the panel moving cursor from left to right takes time :lol: 

testing continue so might add other findings

IMG_0649s.thumb.jpg.2b5058019b83b4866e85dbdd6d1a0c52.jpg

IMG_0644s.thumb.jpg.f6e0205e3e0c26500d48ba95c555c44b.jpg

IMG_0645s.thumb.jpg.2b0801c7f380009f537a7a7967e31f41.jpg

IMG_0646-1s.thumb.jpg.50eaf13dc92faa10f4aa3442e5cbcf41.jpg

Guest Muon N'

Cool

On the connector, see if the brand of the case (maker) has compatible adapter or something. I found some brands of case makers use propriety connectors so you use their fans and stuff. Not sure about this issue though. Nothing left out of the supplied things that should have come with the case?

The case I used for a mate's build (Corsair Crystal Series) has no reset button, maybe they are seeing it as something heading to obscurity in the near future? Also didn't have a place for an optical drive. Some fan connectors were absent as well.

I avoid using sleep, I just turn the monitor off via It's power button when not in use (DELL 2408WFP)

Not sure if anything there might help or not.

Medal of Honor and Crysis  were really cool games, I have never gotten into the top down games myself but they are very popular and many love them. I did play Never Winter Nights for a while though.

Finding LADC more difficult than previous STALKER games, and only have it set on stalker setting :( still some fun times in between getting mutilated or shot to pieces though.

Hope you sort out those issues to satisfaction, over all looking nice :thumb:

Guest Muon N'

@kukynas

On paper it reads as very interesting!

All the time I was thinking "Who makes the panel" and there it is AU Optronics, not familiar with them as have not been immersed in this game for a while...pun intended. Big mob by the looks of it and largely into solar panels too, is interesting on a few levels.

small update after yesterday's playing with PC

+ sound is wow, I don't know what Realtek/Gigabyte did to their newest chip combo but I can honestly say that this is the best PC sound I've ever had, Asus STX II, several USB DACs, none of them sounded as good as this, it's little bit on bright side but never harsh, can easily drive 150ohm cans (600 would be too much for it) and so far didn't had any need to play with EQ, big thumbs up :thumb:  

+ problem with controls solved, it was my stupidity rather than HW problem :)...

- mouse is too slow, it seems like 2000 dpi isn't enough, what the hell... need to buy new one...

- current cooling is crap, tried to play BF1 for 30 minutes and temperature inside of case 55-60C, those Noctua fans aren't sufficient, need to buy faster type and extra fans on top of the case to suck hot air out :( oh boy....

picture from yesterday evening after everything has been finished, crappy phone picture...

IMG_0652s.thumb.jpg.e131a73665459ba7ac9e56a0ec6e806a.jpg

Edited by kukynas
added picture

Guest Muon N'

Good that some of It's getting sorted, and the  stupidity rather than HW problem is something I'm well aware of first hand :lol:

I would be inclined to stick with quiet fans and just get more for any available position. Room for 2 x 12cm ones there?

Edited by Muon N'
Typed pans instead of fans!....Damn it!

these are as good as Noctua but with higher airflow (extra 50m3/h) and only 1db louder,  ordered 2 of them and extra 1x120 for back position so will see how it works, if it won't help will need to install extra 1x140 or 2x140 on top of the case

13 hours ago, Dylan86.exe said:

Yeahhh.. that monitor should not be doing that. Get an exchange on it, and ask to test the next one before it leaves the store if you're buying it in person.

I could buy it in person if I'm willing to travel but than I would lose "no question 14 days money back guarantee" which is given by law if you buying online, if you buying in person seller isn't obliged to test it for you so if it's crap than you have to go through standard 30 days RMA process which is pain in the tank... just called the shop I bought it from to let me know return address and tomorrow it goes back, in the meantime new one will be ready for pick up, if it ends up crap again than whole cycle again until I find good one :huh:

it seems I'm done with it :)

new fans installed, original temp under full load (gaming) was around 55/70 C for proc and gpu, with added 120mm fan on the back panel it went down to 50/65, with Enermax fans it went down to 45/60 and noise remained the same like in case of Noctua...

new monitor as well and this time without light leak and with better backlight uniformity, I'm happy :)

Monitor is simply stunning, colors, levels of black, immersive feeling, fast refresh rate and overall gaming experience with such monitor is priceless  

new mouse seems to do the trick, at the end I needed something like 2400 DPI for normal gaming operation

Final config:

i5-6600K

Gigabyte Z170 Gaming K3

16GB Corsair DDR4 2400mhz

256GB Samsung SM961

MSI GTX1070 Sea Hawk EK X

Alphacool Eisbear 280 with extra 10/13 fitings

2x Enermax UCCLA14P + 1x Enermax UCCLA12P

Corsair RM550

Phanteks Eclipse P400S white

Samsung C34F791

thanks everybody for your help, really appreciate it ;)

Guest Muon N'

All good to game with that sweet monitor then :thumb:

I'm needing some cans of petrol in Lost Alpha DC, items are sparse in this mod, have two cars to use but can't find fuel, I'm going to wear out my boots! :lol:

@kukynas

What FPS type will you try first?

Guest Muon N'

I watched some play of Battlefield 1  and it looks lovely, but so intense! I used to like that sort of thing but it frays me nerves these days.

Still, a gorgeous looking  game.

17 hours ago, Noum said:

I watched some play of Battlefield 1  and it looks lovely, but so intense! I used to like that sort of thing but it frays me nerves these days.

Still, a gorgeous looking  game.

I always liked those WW FPS games and this one is mainly different from its graphics point of view, I remember discussion with my friend back in the Amiga consoles days when we were watching animated scenes between game levels and prayed for such quality in game itself...

BF1 is from this perspective one of the best on today's game market, you nearly feel you are watching movie rather than playing game, it's so realistic :)

10 hours ago, Dylan86.exe said:

I'm finishing off the latest Tomb Raider atm :winky:

I'm kind of left handed when it comes to play adventure games :lol: , same with sports games and everything where fast action requires operation of several commands at the same time, may be it's matter of training or something :)

btw.  @Noum do you sleep sometimes? it seems like you're always online :lol:

Guest Muon N'

Damn!

This DC mod is devoid of a lot of stuff going on, and with such big levels It's getting tedious!

On the flip side I tried to take a shorter rout to another level and tried to go through the construction site, man! I wasn't prepared for what awaited there :lol: so had to go the longer way.

It's a badly coded mod, some mutants are bullet sponges as they say and you can't outrun pseudo dogs. But some are just dumb like some of the zombies.

These guys just didn't really care about me.

59f0eff922c77_Theseguysjustdidntreallycareaboutme.jpg.34fb463fbe2e9705115572679feb970e.jpg

Day time is OK for finding my way around, mind you this skeleton is kicking back in mid air :huh:

59f0f13fc5d9b_Floatingbones.jpg.03d2c4a1404f72ceb9efdb5274ec038a.jpg

Night can be full of surprises

night.jpg.b235698210531178b90b35d40dc577a8.jpg

at least someone's enjoying :lol: , I just finished BF1 and it was way too short :( , I'm glad I didn't paid full amount, tried Mass effect Andromeda and it didn't last too long either, once the animation part and talking exceed certain time it's done for me, no idea why they had to put so much talking and animation to it but I couldn't stand it, again great I didn't have to pay for it, Titanfall 2 next...

Guest Muon N'
6 hours ago, kukynas said:

at least someone's enjoying :lol: , I just finished BF1 and it was way too short :( , I'm glad I didn't paid full amount, tried Mass effect Andromeda and it didn't last too long either, once the animation part and talking exceed certain time it's done for me, no idea why they had to put so much talking and animation to it but I couldn't stand it, again great I didn't have to pay for it, Titanfall 2 next...

That's something i was getting annoyed with when i was more into FPS games, they were over often in between 8 and 12 hours of play :(

Granted the good ones are still very enjoyable.

The original Shadow of Chernobyl I spent 180 hours on all up if I remember correctly. Granted there is a lot of back and forth over large maps, but with that original there is plenty of stuff to look for and enough conflict to be busy with at times..

Not as pretty as these newer games though.

Edited by Muon N'

I don't know why but it wasn't the case with old games like Medal of honor, Gears of war or first Crysis so either most of those new games are meant to be multiplier so only little effort goes to single player campaign or studios don't give a sheet about playtime vs. cost  :huh: