PC vs. PS4 Pro only for gaming

Hi guys,

dilemma, I need to upgrade my gaming PC to be able to play today's games (graphic card) but not sure if it's the right path, consoles these days are nearly as good as PC for gaming so I was thinking to just buy PS4 Pro instead of GTX1070 for pretty much same money and most probably be happy with it, the only drawback (maybe) I see is gamepad instead of keyboard & mouse combo as I'm mainly interested in FPS and racing games.

My last joystick/gamepad experience going back to Amiga days so not sure if my brain is ready to switch and enjoy it the same way like with k&m combo

PC would be used just for gaming so advantage of doing anything else on it is irrelevant

Any comments from those of you who made that switch especially in terms of controls? pros&cons... 

thanks

Daniel

Guest Muon N'

I'm sort of handy with a keyboard & mouse and a FPS gamer when i do play.

But those game pads I sux with, tried COD Special Ops or something on a mates console and a big projector and spent most of my time looking at the sky or my feet :emot-bang:  :lol:

So I'm not able to offer a balanced view :blush:

16 minutes ago, Noum said:

tried COD Special Ops or something on a mates console and a big projector and spent most of my time looking at the sky or my feet :emot-bang:  :lol:

haha, I'm bit afraid I will end up in same situation :lol:

Guest Muon N'

My fiend that owned it was pretty good watching him play. So I guess there is a learning curve to navigate with the game pads, I just found them less than intuitive or as accurate compared to KB &  Mouse. KB & Mouse you can run in one direction while focusing view and fire in another, I couldn't find how to do that with a game pad.

Or maybe this old dog can't learn new tricks like he once could *shrug*

PC Gaming

Pro's -

Better graphic's [usually ] and can be adjusted in VC settings to make game run smoother if needed.

Monitor resolution usually better than a TV.

Can use mouse & Keyboard for most, if not all games, if you want to.

Usually a lot more game titles available for PC.

Can have a LOT faster frame rate than a console.

Con's

Need to upgrade graphic cards every few years to retain advantage over consoles.

Initial cost to build a decent gaming PC, and to upgrade to keep it relevant

Having to update drivers, OS, Steam etc often, which can cause games that were running smoothly to suddenly not do so.

Usually limited to smaller size PC monitor rather than large screen TV for gaming.

Gaming controllers can be game specific, meaning you can end up needing a lot of different models controllers if your favorite game doesn't support the ones you already have.

Console Gaming

Pro's

Everybody has the same machine, so no advantage to anybody when playing online [except internet speed]

Set and forget, all games on consoles are tested to work on those consoles, so rarely any problem like you can have with PC drivers etc

Consoles are designed to work with TV's, so you don't get the colour shift you do when your TV is asked to reproduce a PC's output.

Usually a lot less cable clutter compared to a PC gaming rig.

Con's

Game frame rates can be a LOT slower than the same game run on a PC, usually because of much less RAM in a console, combined with most TV's slower refresh rate compared to a PC monitor [although this has gotten a lot better over the last few years with modern TV's have a 'Gaming Mode' ]

Some titles are contractually console specific, so a favorite could be unavailable on either PS4 or Xbone.

Very very few games playable with a Keyboard and mouse, I can't think of any on the PS4.....so get used to using a PS4 controller.

There a probably quite a few other Pro's & Con's for both a PC and Console, but those are the ones that matter the most to me.

I built a reasonably good gaming PC a while ago [ i7 4790, 32GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 980, Samsung Pro SSD's ] and hardly ever use it, as I much prefer gaming on my PS4, just purely for the ease of use and the peace of mind that I won't have any driver conflicts, or having to wait for something to update before I can start gaming, or go through the rigmarole of logging onto Steam and getting that updated.

Edited by Tweaky
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, kukynas said:

@Tweaky how long did it take you to switch between K&M and gamepad? can you map/change different functions of the gamepad buttons?

@kelossus if you read my first post than the answer is easy, otherwise you could elaborate why yes/no, thanks :)

I have an Xbox One and PC both for gaming. My Laptop is my Internet PC.

PC has a flexibility that consoles can't match. Wanna play an old like Monkey Island, you can. There is no backwards compatibility as everything is compatible.

I use an Xbox controller on the PC if I am feeling lazy and pretty sure you can mod an PS4/PS3 controller to work with PC as well. These days PS4 probably sell Windows compatible controllers.

The biggest advantage over PC and this is controversial, but Torrenting. If you know what I am getting at it will save thousands and thousands of dollars.

Edited by kelossus

I know what you mean and I agree that there's plenty of options on PC you can't match with consoles, fortunately/unfortunately I have and will most probably have only limited time for gaming so I won't utilize all of those options that much as I used to back in the days when I could sit behind the PC several hours a day and have FPS game finished within few days or week...

Plenty of time to make decision so will wait and see

9 hours ago, kukynas said:

@Tweaky how long did it take you to switch between K&M and gamepad? can you map/change different functions of the gamepad buttons?

@kelossus if you read my first post than the answer is easy, otherwise you could elaborate why yes/no, thanks :)

I started using a gamepad on my PC ages ago, primarily so when I played my Playstation / Xbox the change wasn't so dramatic that I had problems.

As for control mapping with PS4 games, it depends on the game, most [no all] do to some extent, but some do it a lot better [with more options] than others, some just give you a selection of preset mapped controls like select between control type A/B/C, others let you map any control to any button [Wipeout Omega Pack for instance]

If you're after the best possible experience, PC hands down wins every time. Buy yourself a controller and you're set.

Look at it like this - You don't need to upgrade anything in your PC if you don't want to. You can if you want (that's the beauty of it)
But even if you don't, the graphic quality will STILL be better than any console on the market until they release a new console. And they only release a new console, what?.. every 5 years?
So a graphics card really only needs to be upgraded whenever a new console comes out (if you were to compare the two dollar for dollar) and it really isn't a debate on that part because whenever they release a new console, there's always GPU(s) on the market that kill them in terms of quality.
I personally usually upgrade my GPUs every 2 or 3 years though. At the moment I have 2x GTX 970s and they were (until recently) running most games on MAX settings without too much of an issue. That's only because I like playing my games with the best possible graphics settings available. The downside (as others have said) is that there is a bit of maintenance involved and sometimes things can go a bit pair-shaped. Which can be tricky sometimes if you don't know what your doing. But if you're not computer savvy, then learn! We're living in a time where nearly everything can be solved searching online! And it's really not that hard to figure out.

So look, I would say if you want something you can just turn on and not think about at the expense of graphic quality, and features - then go for a console. There's no thought involved apart from what game/accessory you're going to buy next. 
But if you want a bit more of an experience and want to see how good a game can really look, and want to use it for other tasks - then go for a PC.

Remember though that a console is also an on-going cost. You're paying to play online if you get a subscription (something that's never really made sense to me considering you're already paying for internet)

• Like 1

no issue with building or maintaining a PC, have been doing it for decades, it's more about convenience and my laziness :) , going through the reviews, checking compatibilities, updating OS and drivers and so on but good point about subscription and as mentioned earlier cost of games is always higher for consoles

it seems I'm pretty much sold on new GPU, following question as I never really had to deal with it in the past, active sync vs. frame rate, my future monitor will be 100hz Freesync (AMD) , does it make more sense to buy Radeon i.e.  RX580 and benefit from sync (pseudo) but with lower frame rate or buy GTX1070 and benefit from higher frame rate even if it won't be 100% synced? I know I could wait and invest into RX Vega 56 but not sure if the extra 200 bucks will make significant difference

thanks...  

17 hours ago, kukynas said:

no issue with building or maintaining a PC, have been doing it for decades, it's more about convenience and my laziness :) , going through the reviews, checking compatibilities, updating OS and drivers and so on but good point about subscription and as mentioned earlier cost of games is always higher for consoles

it seems I'm pretty much sold on new GPU, following question as I never really had to deal with it in the past, active sync vs. frame rate, my future monitor will be 100hz Freesync (AMD) , does it make more sense to buy Radeon i.e.  RX580 and benefit from sync (pseudo) but with lower frame rate or buy GTX1070 and benefit from higher frame rate even if it won't be 100% synced? I know I could wait and invest into RX Vega 56 but not sure if the extra 200 bucks will make significant difference

thanks...  

Well I've never been interested in G-sync or any of that because my monitors are primarily used for work. So i've invested in more screens over features. But from what I know, you'd want a failry heft GPU to be running at 100 FPS constantly. I'm not sure the 580 could do that with 8GB of VRAM. I personally would go for the GTX1070 and get the higher frame rate. I know screen tearing is a thing that annoys some people - but thats not something that's ever bothered me or been enough of an issue to consider spending the extra money on Syncing.

on the other hand - you're future proofing with a G sync monitor. If it's not in your budget for both, maybe consider taking a Frame rate hit and getting a nice monitor, and then upgrading your GPU when the time comes, and you'll already have a nice monitor for it.

Edited by Dylan86.exe

thanks Dylan, make sense...

Regarding G vs. Free sync, I'm not sure if I'm willing to pay extra $ for better compatibility, I'm pretty much decided for G34F791, both Acer and Asus are ~ $500 more so G sync in this respect seems to be waste of money for little benefit

7 hours ago, Dylan86.exe said:

Got any decent games for it yet??

only old games, last one I played was Borderlands 2, plan to buy Battlefield 1 as my first, love those WW shooting games :)

6 hours ago, Bunno77 said:

PS4 for playing sports and racing with a large amount of online players

PC for everything else

that would be great but I think waste of HW for occasional player like me :)

16 minutes ago, Noum said:

@kukynas

If you go with console and a controller, please! record ya' first 30 hours of game play for me ;)

With the FPS's that is :cool:

LOL first 30 hours??? that would be challenge :lol:, anyway I've decided to go PC road for now so will let you know how it goes... I presume first few days I'll need to get used to 1500R curved monitor

• Like 2

Guest Muon N'

@kukynas Well, the first three would be the most fun to watch :lol: Unless I'm the only one that sux with a game pad.

Curved monitor?

Looking at some 34" ultra wide ones on youtube, looks pretty cool!

Edited by Muon N'

1 minute ago, Dylan86.exe said:

Very nice! What sort of games you into? Ill throw some names out

FPS and racing as stated in my first post, mainly single player shooting campaign like Battlefield, COD etc...