When the delivery man smashes your receiver

I bought a Pioneers SX-5560 vintage receiver from Maine USA last month and it came Grand Final weekend here in Elwood.

Unfortunately the gate to our front gate was locked and it was dropped over the gate - from 180cms.

I now have a bill for $182 for delivery and a cracked faceplate. There may be more issues wrong with it but I believe it was ok, if not fine when it went on its way.

These are very hard to get and it is very depressing - worse than a Richmond Premiership. No I didnt insure it.

As soon as I saw it on the ground over the gate I thought the worst. The packaging was one cardboard box filled with "packing peanuts", not very good but it was the sudden stop onto my side of the gate that did the damage.

Anyone had experience with Ebay or Paypal on how I can get some recourse without having to pay for it to be returned?

Any advice warmly welcomed.

59d0a5a65af6d_smashedfaceplatesx-5560.thumb.jpg.7c55b9c7c761e08bbfbc425ce967d894.jpg

Sorry to hear about the Pioneer delivery.

Who organised freight? If it was them, then I think they might be responsible?

Email the seller and explain to them the condition it arrived in. See what they might do for you.

Edited by rocky500
  • Like 1

Google " The Checkout " who covered this topic recently. As mentioned  by other posters the first port of call is the seller, they have the business contract with the delivery agent.  

Failing this a constant attack on the freight company might work. Phone, email and social media. Keep a record of all dates, times and contact names with all correspondence. Likely to be protracted and ugly but you just never know. Try playing nice for starters.......

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about this as these moments are massively disappointing. I expect you can sue the delivery agent for negligence and win (but the costs and time may not be worth it) but should check with the seller to see what arrangement can be made.

Thanks for the simpatico guys. I feel responsibility for not insuring it.

I have put in a dispute with the ebay seller and he could have packed it better, but it was the clown that just dropped what I consider to be vintage art over the fence who is in my reactionary sights.

Yes Skippy it does say Global Shipping service.

Ouch!

The US global shipping program forward freight is from the seller to Pitney Bowes whom is the last point of contact for international delivery (before customs of course). Your shipping payment would be broken into 2 paypal transactions, 1 for the seller including cost of item and postage costs for them to ship to a Pitney Bowes receiving inbound center/drop off depot, and the last transaction is from Pitney Bowes to Australia.

It sounds it wasn't packed properly, I'd get in touch with the seller, but if it was double boxed it still doesn't stop an idiot from throwing the box over your fence. I'm assuming the receiver parcel was dropped via one of Australia Post's contracted courier service? Should be Startrack, unfortunately you're out of luck as you did not insure the parcel, complaining to Startrack/AusPost without evidence leaves you with a damaged receiver and sucking up the loss.

Cheers,

Edited by willio747

if you used PayPal. then obviously this isn't what you purchased. its a very simple transaction in contacting the seller and lodging a claim with PayPal.

I have been sent similarly a disc player from sydney once. also packed the same cd player chucked in a bunch of polystyrene peanuts. ridiculous packed that way. player wasnt functioning properly. seller disputed saying it was perfectly functioning when shipped. I simply lodged the case. PayPal just asked me to ship it back. all they wanted to know was proof of shipment and signature on delivery at other end and i got my money back.

its one of the reasons I wont buy stuff unless shipped in original packaging. insurance is good but we all know what a rort that is too for shipping companies. unless its auspost I dont bother with insurance. 

if i am a seller, its why also will not only make sure item well protected inside but boxed and then over wrapped in bubble wrap and covered in fragile stickers.

i guess that still wont stop couriers who will mis handle but have to do what we can. 

Hi  dammers31,

Really sorry to hear about your busted gear, I know how you feel, from bitter experience on more than one occasion. :( Most notably with a set of B&W 704s from Melboure and a Tektronics CRO from Brisbane.

The seller on eBay, assuming they organized the postage, is responsible for packing the item so that when it arrives at your door it's "as described in the eBay listing" no matter how many "clowns" handle the package along the way.

Contact the seller and let them know it's condition upon it's arrival at your premises. Send clear photos of the broken item and the packaging and how the item was sitting in the packaging. Mention politely that it's condition upon arrival was "not as described" in the item listing. This is the key, the item arrived and it was "not as described". Do not speculate on how it got to be different from the listing! You don't really know so just stick to the facts! Be polite, concise, and business like.

Since the item arrived "not as described" your entitled to a refund of the item cost and the postage cost towards you, and if the seller wants you to return the item then they should have to pay the return postage, probably after they receive the item. In practice, especially when high postage costs are involved, it usually happens that the seller and yourself work out some sort of partial refund to compensate you for the cost of repair or the reduced value of the broken/damaged item.

If it's any consolation I don't think insurance would have helped as the courier companies, and Australia Post, require the item to be packed "as per the manufacturers original packing, or equivalent" or words to that effect. Of course this is at the discresion of the carrier.

The seller can try to claim the damage back from the carrier and you could help them by filling in forms and sending photos. It doesn't seem like the packing job done by the seller would meet this requirement.

Be polite and patient, the seller is also in a awkward situation!

Cheers!

Rob

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, robc said:

Since the item arrived "not as described" your entitled to a refund of the item cost and the postage cost towards you, and if the seller wants you to return the item then they should have to pay the return postage, probably after they receive the item. In practice, especially when high postage costs are involved, it usually happens that the seller and yourself work out some sort of partial refund to compensate you for the cost of repair or the reduced value of the broken/damaged item.

unfortunately the shipping "back" will turn out to be the receivers responsibility. however if have used PayPal you will get a complete refund for the item and the original shipping cost.

this is have used paypal buyer protection... otherwise good luck....

https://www.paypal.com/ch/webapps/mpp/ua/buyerprotection-full?locale.x=en_CH

5.2 Return of Item to Seller

When the Buyer files a Claim for PayPal Buyer Protection because the item received significantly differs from the Seller's item description, the Buyer is required upon request of PayPal to return the item at his own expenses to the Seller or to another person or address as requested by PayPal during the Claim process, as well as to provide appropriate proof of shipment. The proof of shipment needs to contain at least the details required in the PayPal Seller Protection Policy for a proof of shipment of the Seller. PayPal will not request such return if there is the reasonable suspicion that the return of the item would result in a violation of existing law. PayPal reserves the right to request further documentation from the Buyer to support the Claim. The Buyer has to bear any costs that may arise from this request.

If you use the global shipping service, then once Ebay take delivery vai thier freight forwarder in the US, then it is EBay's responsibility to get the item to you in the condition it left the seller. irrespective of the condition/serviceability of the packing. 

I have some expereience in this area, having had two items from the US arrive damaged.  You need evidence of the damage to the item, and any damage to the packaging. Did it have  round label notifying that it had been repacked by EBay/Pitney Bowes by any chance? You need to open up a case with the seller in the first instance, notifying him of the damage. Under the global shipping service, the seller has the right to ingore you, because once the parcel was accepted by Pitney Bowes in the US, then it is no longer the sellers problem. You have to wait the statutory time than the seller has to respond ( 7 days from memory) before you escalate the case with a EBay, and depending on the level of damage a partial or full refund will be given. You should ensure that you elaborate on the fact that it was dropped over your fence by the delivery service.

in my two cases I receoved a full refund (item value plus all shippjnhpg costs) and didn't have to return the items.

hope this helps

cherrs

John

• Like 1

The seller in Maine USA is nice and says not to worry. Im still left with a broken rare Pioneer sx-5560 which was in good shape before travel. There are very few worldwide and I sold its smaller brother(sx-5530)to an eager mate, but hey I counted my chickens..

If I need to get glass for it - its the same as the Pioneer sx-750, has anyone had glass faceplates cut for this kind of thing before?

Thanks again to all those offering ideas and support.

Worse things can happen obviously and I keep perspective but I am playing Boots of Spanish Leather.