stefan534

US power conditioners/plugs work in AUS?

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 11:43 PM, Addicted to music said:

http://www.esv.vic.gov.au/licensing-coes/electrical-licences/restricted-electrical-workers-licence/

Do I need a Restricted Electrical Worker’s licence?

Yes – If the equipment is fixed into position, directly connected to mains supply and requires isolation and disconnection to be repaired, replaced or maintained on site, you will require a Restricted Electrical Worker’s licence and are required to issue a Certificate of Electrical Safety (COES) upon completion of the service call.

No – If the equipment is easily transportable and plugged in by a 2 or 3 pin plug and only the power cord is removed from a standard power outlet (power point or general power/socket outlet) this equipment is considered plug in and does not require a restricted licence.

This is from the link provided.  

Ive been wiring 3pin plugs and 3phase and 30-30A during my entire work life.  We come under the condition “No”because the equipment I work on is portable and can be removed from a standard power point. However in most work environment such as offices, they would have test and tag done every 3-6 or 12mths.

However this only applies to Victoria, I also believe it’s different from State to state.  

The No section in the quoted guideline only pertains to the disconnection (unplugging) of portable appliances. It has nothing to do with prescribed electrical work such as wiring mains plugs onto leads of portable appliances. :emot-bang:

The fact that you have been doing it as an unlicensed worker your "entire work life" does not make it legal.

From the very same EnergySafe Victoria website:

Unlicensed.JPG.efb380ccdc5dc303304a2b4f90d5cada.JPG

And... for the DIY homeowner:

Safety.JPG.9e2aaf178ea1264bbf68c0934b326caa.JPG

Posted (edited)

@Weka

read it again and the read the "yes" 

anything on this side of the wall that not fixed or hard wired o the building I am allowed to unplug and service.  That's part of my job at work.  Anything fixed to the building that's hard wired in then "yes" I need a license.

Edited: I'm not a licensed Electrician, so I have no legal rights to work on electricals that fixed to the building that's hardwired in.

And; Unless he's qualified  an A grade license electrician  has no jurisdiction in the $2.5M printer that I'm "trained" to service that's "portable"  "not fixed" to the building and can be unplugged from 2x 30A requirements.   Thats where I come in.   So anything that's portable unfixed to the building and can be unplugged I am allowed to touch.  Everything on this side of the wall I'm allowed access. 

Edited by Addicted to music

16 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

@Weka

anything on this side of the wall that not fixed to the building I am allowed to unplug and service.  That's part of my job at work.  Anything fixed to the building that's hard wired in then "yes" I need a license.

19 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

@Weka

anything on this side of the wall that not fixed to the building I am allowed to unplug and service.  That's part of my job at work.  Anything fixed to the building that's hard wired in then "yes" I need a license.

Yes, there is no debate that you are allowed to unplug and service the appliance - other than the mains related plug, lead and internal connection. That is classified as prescribed electrical work and you must have some form of electrical license to legally undertake it. The very website you are quoting from says you are not allowed to do any mains voltage electrical work unless you are licensed.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Weka said:

Yes, there is no debate that you are allowed to unplug and service the appliance - other than the mains related plug, lead and internal connection. That is classified as prescribed electrical work and you must have some form of electrical license to legally undertake it. The very website you are quoting from says you are not allowed to do any mains voltage electrical work unless you are licensed.

There is a total of 60A that enters the machinery i work  on every day.   I service and repair the dangerous electricals behind the cover of that equipment I'm trained for.   No qualified or trained electrician is allowed in this area.  Infact a License electrician will not even be seen going into the internal works here, it's not there jurisdiction if there not trained.   And yes I've been doing this all my working career.  

Edited: the 2X 30A  leads is part of the equipment, and yes are hard wired in.  All a License electrician does is to ensure that it's tested and tag, he does nothing else.  

Do you think an A grade electrician will be allowed in these areas where I access and service?  Like I said no license electrician will be seen doing this unless he's officially trained to do so.

IMG_0129.JPG

IMG_0130.JPG

IMG_0127.JPG

IMG_0128.JPG

IMG_0747.JPG

23 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

There is a total of 60A that enters the machinery i work  on every day.   I service and repair the dangerous electricals behind the cover of that equipment I'm trained for.   No qualified or trained electrician is allowed in this area.  Infact a License electrician will not even be seen going into the internal works here, it's not there jurisdiction if there not trained.   And yes I've been doing this all my working career.  

Edited: the 2X 30A  leads is part of the equipment, and yes are hard wired in.  All a License electrician does is to ensure that it's tested and tag, he does nothing else.  

Again... there is no debate that you are allowed to unplug and service the appliance but the fact that you require a licensed electrician to test and certify your mains related work verifies that that you are not legally qualified to do so yourself.

This is contrary to your reply to @andyr implying that if it can be unplugged he is legally allowed to do his own wiring of mains plugs onto power leads without being licensed.

3 hours ago, Weka said:

Again... there is no debate that you are allowed to unplug and service the appliance but the fact that you require a licensed electrician to test and certify your mains related work verifies that that you are not legally qualified to do so yourself.

This is contrary to your reply to @andyr implying that if it can be unplugged he is legally allowed to do his own wiring of mains plugs onto power leads without being licensed.

We don't get a Licencs electrician to test and tag.  The client has that done when they have there periodic test and tag for OHS requirements.  

Again what part part of the "no" requires a License electrician.

The key words are highlighted.

Do I need a Restricted Electrical Worker’s licence?

Yes – If the equipment is fixed into position, directly connected to mains supply and requires isolation and disconnection to be repaired, replaced or maintained on site, you will require a Restricted Electrical Worker’s licence and are required to issue a Certificate of Electrical Safety (COES) upon completion of the service call.

No – If the equipment is easily transportable and plugged in by a 2 or 3 pin plug and only the power cord is removed from a standard power outlet (power point or general power/socket outlet) this equipment is considered plug in and does not require a restricted licence.

Addition:   Here's something interesting about test and tag.  The person that comes out doesn't even have to be a qualified Licensed electrician,  interesting what it says about what's required.

https://www.testandtagtraining.com.au/do-you-need-to-be-electrician-to-test-and-tag

Do you need to be an electrician to Test and Tag?

No - you don’t need to be an electrician or have an electrical background to test and tag in Australia. 

According to Australian Standards AS/NZS 3760, you must be deemed a ‘Competent Person’. This can achieved by undertaking a Test & Tag Course, which usually takes 1 day to complete. Most states and territories specify that the training should be conducted by a Registered Training Organisation, while the course is of a Nationally Recognised standard.   

This effectively means that even if you’re not an electrician, you can still learn to use a portable appliance tester and test electrical equipment. In fact, the majority of our students have no electrical background or knowledge at all. 

A test and tag course will ensure you gain all the required skills and knowledge to test and tag according to the Australian standards. Upon completion of a course, you will deemed 'Competent' and be able to freely PAT test across Australia. 

21 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

We don't get a Licencs electrician to test and tag.  The client has that done when they have there periodic test and tag for OHS requirements.  

Again what part part of the "no" requires a License electrician.

The key words are highlighted.

The original discussion was about wiring mains plugs and power leads, not about servicing the internals of a photocopier or whatever. 

The Electrical Regulations and relevant Legislation (the Law) explicitly state that mains related wiring work can only be undertaken by a licensed electrical practitioner. Your misinterpretation of the EnergySafe guidelines does not exempt you from this requirement.

2 hours ago, Weka said:

The original discussion was about wiring mains plugs and power leads, not about servicing the internals of a photocopier or whatever. 

The Electrical Regulations and relevant Legislation (the Law) explicitly state that mains related wiring work can only be undertaken by a licensed electrical practitioner. Your misinterpretation of the EnergySafe guidelines does not exempt you from this requirement.

I work within the guidelines of what's been set out.  I do not tamper with electrical connections that exist from the fixed power point and anything behind the building walls that classed as fixed and permanent wired that requires disconnection and isolation.  This is in the "yes" requirements of requiring a Licensed Electrician.

However working on equipment that is "portable" can be unplugged from the mains power point I don't need a License.  This basically satisfy the 1st Page of that website and notice it asked you the "yes no " and sets out that requirements firsts before it goes down the path of what's  legal.  I don't care what you interpreted but I'm in my rights to work on the equipment without an electrical license and I've been doing it for over 35yrs.  At one stage when all these guild lines rolled into place we had official from the Electrical Safety Victoria, Telstra and Austel, to monitor our practices becuase we had to have a product accredited  to connect to Telecom infrastructure.

I'm  sure you agree that the Electrical Regulator and EnergySafe guidelines are written so idiots who have no idea are stopped in there tracks to performed any work on any component that can deliver or conduct 230/240V mains voltage so they don't kill themselves or others in the process.  The rest of the process for OHS is to stopped companies operating dangerous worn out power leads thst can cause injury and shock hence the introduction of test and tag.   

During my entire work life I have no intentions of causing injury or death for incorrect wiring, it's not in my DNA.  It's wired safe first time everytime or you destroy your career.