How to apply record cleaning solution

• Volunteer

Ok this is probably a dumb question but I figure I'm amongst friends so here goes...

What do you use to apply cleaning solution to your records? Will a carbon fibre record brush do the job (or will it get wrecked)

I have a Kiwi RCM if that makes a difference 

Nope dont touch it with a carbon fibre brush as it will wreck the brush instantly (dont ask me how I know). Use either a felt padded brush specifically designed for the job or an alternative such as this which IMO works even better.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/shur-line-premium-wheel-edger_p1660043

Just now, Martykt said:

What no puppies.... ??? :huh:

Cruel blow..... cruel blow..... :no:

Nope,

had a puppy once, until my daughter pat it then rubbed her eyes and they Balloon itchy.....time to move that puppy on.   I've always known I was allergic to dog fur, I was tested when I was a kid.   So whatever I've got the kids get!     

7 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

Nope,

had a puppy once, until my daughter pat it then rubbed her eyes and they Balloon itchy.....time to move that puppy on.   I've always known I was allergic to dog fur, I was tested when I was a kid.   So whatever I've got the kids get!     

They obviously have great sound systems then.

9 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

I'm allergic to lambs wool, dog fur, hence no animals in this household.:blush:

But I have no problem having lamb cutlets....:wub:   Yum! 

I use a piece of microfibre wrapped around a bit of wooden dowel.

Lamb cutlets for applying record cleaner is a STUPID idea!

:lol::lol::lol:

Edited by GregWormald
  • Like 1

On 9/29/2017 at 10:19 PM, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Ok this is probably a dumb question but I figure I'm amongst friends so here goes...

What do you use to apply cleaning solution to your records? Will a carbon fibre record brush do the job (or will it get wrecked)

I have a Kiwi RCM if that makes a difference 

As Tb said - you certainly don't want to use a CF brush to wipe on the cleaning fluid.

As I've now moved on from cleaning LPs with my Nitty Gritty to using a 60kHz us tank, I'm happy to give you a spare NG 'plush' brush that I no longer have need of.  See here for a pic:

https://www.musicdirect.com/record-cleaning/nitty-gritty-record-cleaning-brush

What I did, to spread the cleaning liquid around the surface of the LP is:

1. wet the plush pad.
  2. squeeze 4 lines of cleaning fluid across the groove annulus (up / down / left side / right side).
  3. use the NG 'brush' in a circular movement around the groove annulus - say 3 times around.

Then you vacuum it off.

You can pick it up, if you like, when you return my loading plugs, after you've finished playing with them.  :thumb:

The pads from Decibel that BP showed are fine, too.

Andy

7 hours ago, Blk plastic said:

I use this from Decibel hi fi. Works a treat and you can buy spare pads as well.

DDBA.jpg