Deciding on a new Power Amp

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to try out some new power amps that will be fed by my PS Audio Pefectwave Dac II (which I use as a pre) and will drive Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grands.

I listen to rock & metal, but also occassionally listen to blues & classical. Current power amp is a primare A34.2 which is pretty good, just looking for something different - a bit more forward and expressive in the mid range. I've considered an integrated and recently had a Naim Supernait 2 at home for a few days which was very impressive (in spite of some quirks) but still think a straight power amp suits me best. I might come back to Naim, but want to audition a few more options.

I'm looking at that $4.5k - $6k range.

I'm going to a dealer in Sydney soon to audition an Anthem P2 (which I can get for under $5k) - I'm taking my DAC up with me, and they also have VA Baby Grands so I'll get close to my system here at home (minus room accoustics and cables of course).  

The Elektra Reference HD power amp is in that sub $5k price range and by the looks of it has both XLR and RCA inputs which a switch to select between the two inputs (one of my criteria) but it seems it's only available at a handful of shops in Melbourne and there's not a lot of info or reviews available online. What info is available suggests this is a pretty kick ass amp.

Has anyone had any experience with either of these amps (or both) that could share their thoughts on the strengths or weaknesses or either of these amps?

Dave

Just now, rantan said:

For a power amplifier around $5K you simply won't find better than this one and the owner/designer is a member of SNA who is always super helpful.

https://holtonprecisionaudio.com/collections/fully-assembled-amplifiers/products/fully-assembled-and-tested-hpa-nxv500l-signature-amplifier

Looks like we posted at the same time!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Just buy this if it's still available

That was sold and the new owner moved it on because the Pass Lab Aleph better integrated with his $14k ML.   I went to see what the fuss was about and it appears that the SQ from the Magtech /ML is  nowhere near sweat and live enough for the ML.   To me , there was nothing wrong with the Magtech except that the ML has a reputation for bad sub integration in which  they integrated well with the Pass Lab Aleph.  

Ive heard several pairs of MLs with different electronics and have come to the conclusion that I do not like the MLS bass integration.

The Magtechs 500W/side is probably overkill for the Baby Grands 90db at 4 Ohms. (disclosure - happy Magtech user). After hearing the Benchmark AHB2 that would be my suggestion.(only wish they would work on my ESLs) Finding a used pair seems nigh on impossible, testament to owner satisfaction or they hardly sold any. The Holten would also be high on my list.

I have a Halcro MC 20 , I had a krell KSA 150 and a very good Musical fidelity power amp, the Halcro in my system sounds better than both of the for mentioned amps, at the current price of $3,000 new or second hand above they represent a true bargan as they were originly $5,000 USD.  http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Halcro-MC20-2-Channel-Power-Amplifier-Superb-Brand-New-with-Warranty-/302326133936?hash=item46640ab4b0:g:rk4AAOSwfpVZL6ya

http://www.stereomojo.com/HALCRO MC20 POWER AMPLIFIER REVIEW/HALCROMC20POWERAMPLIFIERREVIEW.htm

4 hours ago, bzr said:

Go to Miranda Hifi & tell them you want to listen to a PrimaLuna. 

By chance I have just been in Miranda HiFi hoping to hear the VA The Music speakers they have advertised on their web page. I should have rung first  before going in, while there I checked out the gear they actually did have on the shelves and their selection of PrimaLuna amps was very limited and I did not see a Dialogue HP which would be the one to audition I reckon. 

We have a PL Dialogue HP Integrated and that works extremely well with both the Baby Grands and Concert Grands. 

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO

You can buy any of Anthony Holton's power amps with the confidence you will have it forever. They just make beautiful sound without the harshness of some 'high end' amps and have heaps of useable horsepower.

I'd love to hear the Holtons everyone has good things to say about them. I do buy most of my gear from Miranda but haven't yet the found the desired solution from them - within my budget, so just searching a little further and wider than I usually do.

Appreciate all the comments and suggestions everyone. 

I'd agree with TerryO those Primas a pretty sweet. Smooth and Silky to listen to but plenty of punch in the High Power Version.

Theres a chance I might sell my Magnus MA300 in the coming months for financial reasons which is the best amp i've ever heard, but I reaaalllly don't want to have to, and it would be minimum $6k. You'd struggle to find one to listen to though. Bills Primaluna with my EL34's was the next best thing i've heard and worth half what the Magnus is. This is where i'll end up if I have to sell.