Sign in to follow this  
Farpun

Best way to convert component to hdmi

Hey I have a Nintendo Wii with component output and have a Sony KDL W750C TV with only hdmi input.

I am currently using an Onkyo TX-SR343 to convert the component video to hdmi and am using a Marantz SR19EX for audio as I believe the Marantz has better audio (haven't actually done a conparison yet), the Marantz does not have hdmi output.

I would like to use a small converter (have found cheap ones on ebay) that does not upscale the image but only converts component video to hdmi so I can have one less receiver in my room.

Are there any small converters out there that do not upscale the video but simply convert the analogue signal to digital? Do these cheap converters do as good a job as an AV receiver? And do they still make AV receivers with component input?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Farpun

32 minutes ago, Farpun said:

I would like to use a small converter (have found cheap ones on ebay) that does not upscale the image but only converts component video to hdmi so I can have one less receiver in my room.

Check with Keith from @EZYHD if his up-scales or not;

https://www.ezyhd.com.au/shop/rgb-to-hdmi-converter/

JSmith :ninja:

I needed one of these recently.  he HDMI output on our much-loved and venerable TIVO died but the component output works.  I know the EPG that TIVO uses finishes soon and I've already replaced it with a Beyonwiz T4.

But there's a lot of stuff still on the TIVO 1 terabyte external drive that I'd like to continue to access at my leisure and it's too much of a hassle to run component through the wall to the TV.

The best value component to HDMI converter i could find was an unbranded gadget from Keith at EzyHD in Queensland.  It arrived promptly and works fine - so I totally endorse the above recommendation.  I can find the details if needed but I think there's only one basic component to HDMI converter on his website.

38 minutes ago, Tony M said:

I know the EPG that TIVO uses finishes soon

tony by the way the tivos are being kept going just as tivo operated prior to being officially in Australia. if you want theres a guy darren and few other folks running this if you want to get your tivo re chipped to enable.

Thanks Al.  But given that we've replaced it with a better (but definitely more technologically challenging) unit, I doubt if it is worth sending it off for rechipping.  It's had a lot of use over the past 9 years and the HDMI failure seems to suggest its health is failing.  But I wouldn't mind finding out more if you have any links etc.  I kind of like having retro gadgets that still function (if 9 years qualifies as "retro" these days).

EDIT  Found the thread on WP - thanks Al.  I'll look into it and see if it's worth the hassle.

Edited by Tony M

6 minutes ago, Tony M said:

Thanks Al.  But given that we've replaced it with a better (but definitely more technologically challenging) unit, I doubt if it is worth sending it off for rechipping.  It's had a lot of use over the past 9 years and the HDMI failure seems to suggest its health is failing.  But I wouldn't mind finding out more if you have any links etc.  I kind of like having retro gadgets that still function (if 9 years qualifies as "retro" these days).

no drama, i just thought might be interested. tivo had a lot of fans. we moved over to fetch mighty and handed two of ours in for the swap.

only found out about the re chipping etc later on.

i'll post another thread re tivo continuing on. theres a linked document i'll find and put up. from what can see and with the service there is the tivos will possibly never die..