Knock offs/clones on ebay

12 minutes ago, MattyW said:

Why do pitchforks and torches always remind me of old vampire movies? ;)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Was Frank N Furter Frankenstein for me :cool:

1 hour ago, Noum said:

Goldmund?

I thought they rebadged an Oppo? Or maybe that was a different case involving another big name.

That was the cheap Pioneer DV-300 dvd player (which I still have) they took the internals, added some fancy case and sold it for 4000 euros. The same sort of stuff Wadia, Lexicon, Theta, Audio Alchemy etc...all did in the 90's to 2000's.

http://lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/REFERENCES/Goldmund/goldmundizator.html

Lexicon rebadged the Oppo 9xx series player and sold it for $5000usd around circa 2009.

Cheers,

Edited by willio747
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, willio747 said:

That was the cheap Pioneer DV-300 dvd player (which I still have) they took the internals, added some fancy case and sold it for 4000 euros. The same sort of stuff Wadia, Lexicon, Theta, Audio Alchemy etc...all did in the 90's to 2000's.

http://lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/REFERENCES/Goldmund/goldmundizator.html

Lexicon rebadged the Oppo 9xx series player and sold it for $5000usd around circa 2009.

Cheers,

yep even marantz used pioneer player as basis for one of their player i remember.

plenty have used sonys as basis. cary was another that did the same, arcam also come to mind.

atleast sonys, pioneers, oppos come with C ticks and can buy with some confidence wont go up in smoke on you :D

Fake Rubycon caps;

Impossible to post all the pic online of fake/dodgy caps;

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=fake+capacitor&dcr=0&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjwt_G9gsXWAhUEybwKHYC2AgQQ_AUICigB&biw=1242&bih=559

... seem like a pretty real issue to me.

As for Lexicon... I can't believe they're still in business after the Oppo rebadge for 10 x the price scandal. They should have closed in shame...

JSmith :ninja:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, :) al said:

yep even marantz used pioneer player as basis for one of their player i remember.

plenty have used sonys as basis. cary was another that did the same, arcam also come to mind.

atleast sonys, pioneers, oppos come with C ticks and can buy with some confidence wont go up in smoke on you :D

Yes, a great comfort after being ripped to the tune of 2k or 3k.

:)

3 minutes ago, JSmith said:

Sure, but that is different to what Lexicon did... as it really was an Oppo with simply a new case and badge. :ohmy:

Cambridge used the Oppo too... but it wasn't exactly the same as I'm sure you recall.

JSmith :ninja:

yes different to lexicon. and ntio that am condoning  

cambridge and oppo actually share the chip set as basis. which is a different thing. 

i think what we are seeing in this bay add though is completely different here we have a whole sale rip off of a certain brand it isn't :)

i drove a mazda mx5 back to back to a fiat 124 abarth the other day the fiat was the better car ... and made by mazda :D

all kinds goes on these days in manufacturing :)

but am not into cheap rip off clones ...

• Like 1

Some like myself will act in the form of not recommending/purchasing the brand, I have done this with the business I mentioned earlier....yet they have a strong following over there.

On 9/27/2017 at 7:05 PM, willio747 said:

The same sort of stuff Wadia, Lexicon, Theta, Audio Alchemy etc...all did in the 90's to 2000's.

I use to put Audio Alchemy Dac in the Box's on the back of Meridian 506's to make them sound good.

8 minutes ago, MattyW said:

That's 10 years ago. Think of the changes you've seen in 10 years.....

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Had a little giggle seeing your new avatar Mate, good work. (small things amuse the active mind)

2 minutes ago, MattyW said:

Haha, it gave me a giggle too.... Along with a video I watched earlier of the fainting goats  ;)

Ha, I was thinking of the piglet with its first ever ice cream headache. :lol:

Havn't seen the fainting goats Mate :)

If you have ever had your intellectual property copied by a competitor then had them try and put you out of business using it, which I have had done to me, then you might feel a little different about buying and supporting a rip off cheap arse copy of someone else hard work. 

Personally I consider it not a lot different then buying a cheap tv out of the back of a truck from some dodgy p**** who had just stolen it from someone's house while they were out at work earning money to pay it off.

But each to their own.

Cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 3

Yes while amusing to some it is actually very serious.

For example: We are the official Conrad Johnson importers and you would not believe the amount of times we have been contacted by concerned "Conrad Johnson owners" whom have purchased a unit "cheap off the internet from OS" and it now has an issue... 

When we inspect the unit it is of course not actually a Conrad Johnson product! Its some faulty knock off. No warranty, no original CJ parts etc

Its a costly mistake and Sadness for everyone ensures (except for the rip off guy on the internet who sold some crap to someone thinking they were getting a bargain)

• Like 2

@soundreference

In that case I also frown on that seller.

If sold as  CJ amp then It's not good and as dodgy as, but the one in the OP is not stating it is the real thing, if someone thinks "inspired by" means It's a real Krell amp then i have not a lot of sympathy for them.

Those that do correct research on something like the amp in the OP will find that many of these clones/copies are not a well executed circuit or build and some parts may not be genuine. Otherwise they are going in blind by choice.