Sign in to follow this  
misternavi

Knock offs/clones on ebay

9 minutes ago, seaninbrisbane said:

I wonder if there are any reviews out there?

someone needs to start a chinese clones review site. (WHAT A GREAT IDEA!!!!!!)

Only problem is the reviewer will have to buy the items. 

I've been eyeing off the Quad 405 clones with matching pre amp for around $450 bucks.

At least it comes with free postage. 

Just now, misternavi said:

someone needs to start a chinese clones review site. (WHAT A GREAT IDEA!!!!!!)

@MattyW is da man :D

15 minutes ago, Happy said:

Haha, not quite. I'll have my second Douk Tube Phono box, and a bucketload of various old stock and new 12AX7 tubes listed for sale soon..... Just ordered a Valab LCR1. My Sheer Audio MM-88 is based on the Marantz 7 circuit, though its not the same... I'd say its very very lossely based on it.

If the inbuilt MC stage is up to it then I may sell my Fidelity Research FRT4 though maybe not as it allows easy operation of multiple tonearms..... Mmmmm, something else to consider.

I have Proac 1sc clones from China. They are very good, I can only compare them to authentic Proac Tablettes. I think a few members have or had them.

I've no problem with an out of patent copy, so long as it's not a fake

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Edited by MattyW
doube post

5 hours ago, Happy said:

I think 'da man' missed you there man. :emot-bang:

Me, I wouldn't buy a clone, a copy, a knock off, a tribute or anything else you may want to call it... But I'm not sure why. It's certainly no great moral stand nor judgement of those that would or do. I think that it's as simple as if I want it, I want the real thing?

Edited by Reverend Johnny Heathen

1 minute ago, Reverend Johnny Heathen said:

I think he missed you there man. :emot-bang:

Me, I wouldn't buy a clone, a copy, a knock off, a tribute or anything else you may want to call it... But I'm not sure why. It's certainly no great moral stand nor judgement of those that would or do. I think that it's as simple as if I want it, I want the real thing?

I can understand the feeling. I have nil moral stand either. But unless you actually try the real thing you can't say you've tried it. Nothing can change that. 

Most circuits are closely related to others, many current tube circuits are pretty much unchanged from earlier ones. Not much new or initiative happens in this hobby for the most part. Near everything has been done before and in some way that resembles previous designs. There are isolated exceptions but they are few in comparison.

Oh, look! a butterfly!

*exists thread in pursuit*

Ah, that's why I always refer to mine as a Douk Tube Phonobox or as the EAR 834P circuit (not as an EAR 834P).... Sound quality, aesthetics and actual feel are my only considerations. I don't much care for brand names.... I won't have any copies left once my final Douk unit sells. [emoji4]

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Noum said:

Most circuits are closely related to others, many current tube circuits are pretty much unchanged from earlier ones. Not much new or initiative happens in this hobby for the most part. Near everything has been done before and in some way that resembles previous designs. There are isolated exceptions but they are few in comparison.

Oh, look! a butterfly!

*exists thread in pursuit*

From a logical viewpoint that makes sense. However, we're in the hobby where people talk about cables sounding different, which is an objective fact to some. And I have seen many people swearing the clones never sounding the same as the original. Probably not logical but you never know. One's view is authoritative only when it's based on his/her actual experience in this hobby, regardless of the logic. 

I've little doubt that the copies sound different. Not really an issue though is it.... So long as they sound good ;)

Just now, MattyW said:

I've little doubt that the copies sound different. Not really an issue though is it.... So long as they sound good ;)

It is an issue to some. Oftentimes it's about trying well known pieces. Copies do create an issue here because some would claim to have actual experience with the subject piece based on his/her experience with its copies. Plus some do have moral issues with it which is not unreasonable.