Soundsmith Cartridges - thoughts?

Hi,

Has anyone else had any experience with Soundsmith cartridges?

Any thoughts? Comments?

I purchased the Southsmit Otello yesterday and had it set up in the shop. We played a number of records I brought with me that were sounding especially harsh on the Denon DL-103R. On the Otello they sounded amazing, lush and full with all the bass and mids that were missing from the DL-103R. The majority of these records were from the 80s (MJ - Thriller, D'Train - You're The One For Me, Laura Branigan - Self Control, Scorpions - Savage Amusement, etc).

With some fresh ears this morning I put on some records from different eras, Thin Lizzy - Fighting, Sonny Clark - Cool Struttin' (late 70s Japan press, not OG unfortuantely!) and Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else (OG Mono) and I left work feeling a little underwhelmed. The sound on these earlier recordings was way too warm and I was craving some extra grit that even my previous Shure M97XE was giving me (and this isn't a cart that I'd associate with grit). 

This was run straight into the EAR 834P phono stage on MM input. Output for the Otello is 2.12mv which looks to be pretty close for the 2.2mv input spec'd for the EAR 834P. 

Have I hit this catch-22 of audio where I can't have my cake and eat it too? Is this the beginning of that endless search for the right cartridge that matches all my records?

Or any recommendations for cartridge setup? The EAR 834P manual does not specific the default loading but I have read claims online that the loading is 51k ohms ( https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/ear-834p-impedance )

Thanks

What is the rest of your system?  The EAR is a first class product but into which amp and which speakers, and let's not forget the room.....

In all of this we are striving for synergy where everything works together and unfortunately we can't just choose components in isolation and expect them to be a perfect match with everything else. 

53 minutes ago, Highwaystar said:

This was run straight into the EAR 834P phono stage on MM input. Output for the Otello is 2.12mv which looks to be pretty close for the 2.2mv input spec'd for the EAR 834P.

OK, so the 1st batch of LPs you listened to sounded wonderful ... and the 2nd batch sounded too warm and mushy?

(I wouldn't think this is a sensitivity issue - the Otello seems to be well-matched to the EAR.  :thumb: )

Have I hit this catch-22 of audio where I can't have my cake and eat it too? Is this the beginning of that endless search for the right cartridge that matches all my records?

Possibly.  :ohmy:  Or maybe it's just a matter of finding the right loading for the Otello?

Can you ask Soundsmith what they recommend?

Or any recommendations for cartridge setup? The EAR 834P manual does not specific the default loading but I have read claims online that the loading is 51k ohms ( https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/ear-834p-impedance )

Thanks

You can reduce this default by using a RCA 'T' or 'U' connectors - which give you 2 RCA input sockets and 1 output RCA plug.  You put:

• the RCA plug into the RCA socket on the EAR, then
  • plug your phono cable into one of the inputs, and
  • a 'loading plug' into the other input socket.

A loading plug is an RCA plug which has a resistor soldered across it - the value of the resistor acts in parallel with the default 51K to give you a lower loading value, overall.  For instance:

• a 51K resistor on the loading plug will produce 25K5 ohms, and
  • a 100K resistor will result in a load of about 33K

Of course, this depends on what Soundsmith come back with.  :)  (You can only go higher than the default 51K by changing this to a higher value - say, 100K.)

Andy

I'm asuming from your post that you listened to your turntable and cartridge initially through a store system, then brought it home and lstened to your own system. I have 2 Soundsmith cartridges, each at different ends of the Soundsmith range however they are voiced very similarly, they aren't lush cartridges, they are neutral and dynamic. Do you have rugs in your room? Is your tuntable isolated or is it mass loaded on a stand?

1 hour ago, proftournesol said:

I'm asuming from your post that you listened to your turntable and cartridge initially through a store system, then brought it home and lstened to your own system. I have 2 Soundsmith cartridges, each at different ends of the Soundsmith range however they are voiced very similarly, they aren't lush cartridges, they are neutral and dynamic. Do you have rugs in your room? Is your tuntable isolated or is it mass loaded on a stand?

Hi,

I listened first at the store using the same speakers I have at home (but with a NAD integrated amp in store) and then listened to the same records at home last night.

There are no rugs in my room. Turntable and amps are all on large metal framed stand with wooden shelves - dimensions are 1900w x 460d x 2140h . Turntable just has the standard Technics 1210 rubber feet.

7 hours ago, andyr said:

OK, so the 1st batch of LPs you listened to sounded wonderful ... and the 2nd batch sounded too warm and mushy?

(I wouldn't think this is a sensitivity issue - the Otello seems to be well-matched to the EAR.  :thumb: )

Possibly.  :ohmy:  Or maybe it's just a matter of finding the right loading for the Otello?

Can you ask Soundsmith what they recommend?

You can reduce this default by using a RCA 'T' or 'U' connectors - which give you 2 RCA input sockets and 1 output RCA plug.  You put:

• the RCA plug into the RCA socket on the EAR, then
  • plug your phono cable into one of the inputs, and
  • a 'loading plug' into the other input socket.

A loading plug is an RCA plug which has a resistor soldered across it - the value of the resistor acts in parallel with the default 51K to give you a lower loading value, overall.  For instance:

• a 51K resistor on the loading plug will produce 25K5 ohms, and
  • a 100K resistor will result in a load of about 33K

Of course, this depends on what Soundsmith come back with.  :)  (You can only go higher than the default 51K by changing this to a higher value - say, 100K.)

Andy

Thanks, tbh I didn't think of contacting Soundsmith directly but email has been sent :)

Currently listening to Klaus Schulze - Mirage on the Soundsmith and the sound is filling the room with a beautiful thick soundscape of lush synths.

42 minutes ago, Highwaystar said:

Currently listening to Klaus Schulze - Mirage on the Soundsmith and the sound is filling the room with a beautiful thick soundscape of lush synths.

Excellent!  :thumb:

That suggests the loading is probably OK ... and the 2nd batch of LPs you listened to are just not recorded right?

Andy

Edited by andyr

12 hours ago, andyr said:

Excellent!  :thumb:

That suggests the loading is probably OK ... and the 2nd batch of LPs you listened to are just not recorded right?

Andy

More listening last night and my OG Impulse, Blue Note and Riverside records sound fantastic. May be a case of the 'softer presentation' that Japanese jazz presses have been noted as having. Also potentially a case of weaker and thinner Australian press records as was the case with Thin Lizzy - Fighting.

On even a moderately resolving system the sound varies greatly from record to record. Some records just sound bad. This is where a two arm turntable or interchangeable headshell come in handy, as you can have two carts with very different presentations, for use with different records.

I've never heard a Soundsmith cartridge but i've had 3 or 4 retips done on various cartridges over the years and the work has been top notch. What I really like about their products though is the ongoing cost of even their top models is dirt cheap. Trade in values of cartridges from other manufacturers even when moving up the line on a significantly expensive cart is pathetically low yet even the most expensive Soundsmith cartridge can be rebuilt for less than 20% of the cost of a new one. You're lucky to get 20% off the price of a new cartridge with other manufacturers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Bump for 50 hours burn in time.

Gotta say it's sounding great now. Even on the albums above that I was commenting on not sounding as I'd expected. Very happy with the Otello.

Thank

I’m thinking of the Otello with a Rega P3. Are you still happy with the Otello?

On 10/06/2019 at 4:14 PM, Souwalker said:

I’m thinking of the Otello with a Rega P3. Are you still happy with the Otello?

Hi,

I actually ended up getting Hana SL which has stayed in my system since. 

I’ve kept the Otello though. Would still recommend it although I’m not sure how it goes with the P3.

1 hour ago, Highwaystar said:

Hi,

I actually ended up getting Hana SL which has stayed in my system since. 

I’ve kept the Otello though. Would still recommend it although I’m not sure how it goes with the P3.

Mmmm, H ... can you explain a couple of points which you have me confused about?

1.  I presume you think the Hana SL sounds better than the Soundsmith Othello - yes?

(I note the 'Othello' is a HO MI (2.12mV - so low for an MM phono stage) ... whereas the Hana SL is a LO MC (0.5mV output).)

2.  Why would there be any difference between the performance of an Othello vs. a Hana SL on a Rega P3 - which is a TT?

Or ae you referring to the cart performance with the P3 arm?  Yes, it's possible that the weight & compliance of an Othello (6.6gm & 28um/mN) may not suit the P3 arm, compared to a Hana SL (5gm & unspecified compliance).

Andy

49 minutes ago, andyr said:

Mmmm, H ... can you explain a couple of points which you have me confused about?

1.  I presume you think the Hana SL sounds better than the Soundsmith Othello - yes?

(I note the 'Othello' is a HO MI (2.12mV - so low for an MM phono stage) ... whereas the Hana SL is a LO MC (0.5mV output).)

2.  Why would there be any difference between the performance of an Othello vs. a Hana SL on a Rega P3 - which is a TT?

Or ae you referring to the cart performance with the P3 arm?  Yes, it's possible that the weight & compliance of an Othello (6.6gm & 28um/mN) may not suit the P3 arm, compared to a Hana SL (5gm & unspecified compliance).

Andy

Hi,

1. Yes, I preferred the sound of the Hana in my system.

2. I meant I cannot comment on how the Otello would sound on a Rega because I have not heard it on one.

Thanks

I use an AT33EV which is an excellent performer right across the sound spectrum and that on an arm that has an effective mass that is almost certainly too high - the gimbal arm on a Kenwood KD990.  I've bought a lightweight (but rigid) h/shell which will lower the effective mass. Then I started reading up on the big brother - ART 9 which gets very,very good reviews. The one negative is that more than a few buyers have bought bad ones, so there is a real quality control problem there. 

Then I read about a shoot out on Audiogon between the ART 9 and the Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC Star. The detailed description of both and confirmed by those who had both models left me desiring the Zephyr. Not least as the OP said the Soundsmiths can be 'renewed' for about 20% of the new price, they are unique in this regard.

What really hacks me off living in the EU (France) is the huge unjustifiable difference in pricing in contrast with the USA and that includes products made outside the USA. This price differential is a lot more than the 20% tax levied in import duties on products from outside the EU.

There were deals on before Christmas where I could buy a Zephyr for US$ 900-1000. The cheapest price in the EU was in the UK £1300, on the mainland it was €1900.

Every seller in the USA has a deal with Soundsmith that precludes them from selling outside the USA - how does pricing compare in Oz or NZ. Same goes for a Sound Devices USB Pre2, way more expensive in the UK and even more expensive on the mainland. It seems to be a given in Europe - how much can we screw you for.

50 minutes ago, Southerly said:

I use an AT33EV which is an excellent performer right across the sound spectrum and that on an arm that has an effective mass that is almost certainly too high - the gimbal arm on a Kenwood KD990.  I've bought a lightweight (but rigid) h/shell which will lower the effective mass. Then I started reading up on the big brother - ART 9 which gets very,very good reviews. The one negative is that more than a few buyers have bought bad ones, so there is a real quality control problem there. 

Then I read about a shoot out on Audiogon between the ART 9 and the Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC Star. The detailed description of both and confirmed by those who had both models left me desiring the Zephyr. Not least as the OP said the Soundsmiths can be 'renewed' for about 20% of the new price, they are unique in this regard.

What really hacks me off living in the EU (France) is the huge unjustifiable difference in pricing in contrast with the USA and that includes products made outside the USA. This price differential is a lot more than the 20% tax levied in import duties on products from outside the EU.

There were deals on before Christmas where I could buy a Zephyr for US$ 900-1000. The cheapest price in the EU was in the UK £1300, on the mainland it was €1900.

Every seller in the USA has a deal with Soundsmith that precludes them from selling outside the USA - how does pricing compare in Oz or NZ. Same goes for a Sound Devices USB Pre2, way more expensive in the UK and even more expensive on the mainland. It seems to be a given in Europe - how much can we screw you for.

Shirley, you simply find a US-based mate and get them to buy it ... then send it to you?

Andy

Andyr,

I did have a good mate in Florida who used to do just that for me but sadly he's no longer topside. Via him is how i got the AT33EV @ $299 at that time it was £1=$1.79. The cheapest price as always, compared to the mainland was £534.. He undid the package and put a s/hand price for the customs.

So how do prices compare USA-Oz or NZ. I often see good prices on s/hand things in OZ but shipping + import duties don't make it worthwhile - so it goes.