AV receivers that give top 2ch stereo

It’s gonna be hard to recommend any Classé now. But the old Sigma and Delta AVPs were phenomenally designed and did both AV and stereo right.

Rather than kill the brand, I wish someone else - maybe World of Mac could have bought them over and used their technology.

9 hours ago, Gremrock said:

Okay @:) al you're mostly right. Not toroidal but after a closer look its definitely a laminated core job.

Still smaller than any of the 3 used in my 28w Valve amp though haha.

My take is 650w-30% inefficiency/7channels = approx 60watts. Still plenty of power but I wish these companies would all rate honestly. 

still better than some of the brands that have smaller power supplies 500w or less and trying to drive more channels in upto 11 !

ofcourse as we calculated for oneit came out to only 25 wpc at best ! no wonder they are claiming only 2ch driven in their specs as the real figures hardly going to sell the product are they :D 

5 minutes ago, Gremrock said:

One aspect we overlook is that you rarely have every channel driven to capacity, so each channel is capable Of its rates output, but at rare instances they do need to perform they just crap out.

yeah I think things have changed a bit with modern mixes. gone are days of old where surrounds would just add a bit of surround ambience ... now days with object based 3D audio tracks the surround mixes tend to work the whole sound stage to place objects in space within the room. so i feel the demands on systems and particularly multichannel mixes has really ramped up. particularly since some makers are trying to fit all that in on chasis and really pushing the envelope ! 

11 hours ago, :) al said:

still better than some of the brands that have smaller power supplies 500w or less and trying to drive more channels in upto 11 !

ofcourse as we calculated for oneit came out to only 25 wpc at best ! no wonder they are claiming only 2ch driven in their specs as the real figures hardly going to sell the product are they :D 

And when the rated power is only at 1kh

and not 20-20.

very deceiving 

• Like 1

The Arcam AVR390 sounds fantastic for 2-channel listening ONCE the Dirac Live room correction is invoked.
It's tricky to run, potentially even harder to master... but once it's up and running how it should be it's lightyears ahead of any other room correction I've used to date.

3 minutes ago, Dunnersfella said:

The Arcam AVR390 sounds fantastic for 2-channel listening ONCE the Dirac Live room correction is invoked.
It's tricky to run, potentially even harder to master... but once it's up and running how it should be it's lightyears ahead of any other room correction I've used to date.

What else have you tried?

On 23/09/2017 at 11:11 AM, Raffinator said:

I run an Onkyo AV and dedicated 2ch amp with HT pass through for stereo sources.

I saw the promotion from Arcam for their AVRs. So I was wondering what opinions are for AVRs of sufficient 2ch quality that I would put it “all in” and cover both needs?

Speakers are Yamaha Soavo speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raf, I recently updated my HT and stereo systems using a Halcro 5 channel amp as the power source. I run my Audia Flight CD player into an Accuphase preamp and then into the Halcro via XLR's for stereo duties, and have my modded Oppo running directly into the Halcro via

RCA 's.  The Halcro will power anything.

You can use your Oppo to control HT via the digital volume control and this, for me, provides excellent results.

If you do get a Halcro, all you'd need is a suitable preamp - happy hunting!

Cheers,

G

I think something like this is the magic ingredient to make an AVR a competent 2 channel system.

This is the best combo I have heard.

Went to a Naim demo for their new streamers on the weekend, would've been an over 50k setup with the Focal Sopras and I was pretty happy to come home to mine.

IMG_0887.JPG

IMG_0886.JPG

I think something like this is the magic ingredient to make an AVR a competent 2 channel system.
This is the best combo I have heard.
Went to a Naim demo for their new streamers on the weekend, would've been an over 50k setup with the Focal Sopras and I was pretty happy to come home to mine.><a href=https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/uploads/monthly_2017_10/IMG_0887.thumb.JPG.3aa7f3054852ae2fbecdf8d2b388c0d5.JPG' alt='IMG_0887.thumb.JPG.3aa7f3054852ae2fbecdf8d2b388c0d5.JPG'>
IMG_0886.thumb.JPG.c0c5fb3d33d9ee7ef8097405aa11956f.JPG

So is the Klein DAC just there to improve on the inbuilt DAC in your Integra when listening to music? And still using the Integra for pre/volume control?

So is the Klein DAC just there to improve on the inbuilt DAC in your Integra when listening to music? And still using the Integra for pre/volume control?

Yes correct, pc to Klein usb and analog out to Integra, Integra is on direct mode. I have had a Creek Evo 2 and Primare i32 and I don't miss those at all. Don't even feel the need for a power amp.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimboz said:

@powerav What is the model of your Integra? DRX-R1? you driving Focal Sopras too if you don't mind me ask or which speakers?

Integra 60.6, not rich enough to have Focal Sopras just have the aussie blue collar Richter wizards Mk4

38 minutes ago, digitalhome said:

I picked up an Emotiva XMC-1 processor today to go with my power amps. Doesn’t get too much better than this!

Well done, you know straight away if it's good or not don't you. Noticed you already asking questions on Emotiva website.:)

2 minutes ago, powerav said:

Integra 60.6, not rich enough to have Focal Sopras just have the aussie blue collar Richter wizards Mk4

You got too much good gear and a dedicated room to qualify for that blue collar thingy mate 

7 minutes ago, powerav said:

Well done, you know straight away if it's good or not don't you. Noticed you already asking questions on Emotiva website.:)

Correct. For these sort of dollars you expect close to perfection for the role it performs.

• Like 1

Here is a good example on the huge improvement an external dac can do for the improvement of the 2 channel quality of avr’s. Peter Gabriel’s voice in this song imparticular was always harsh sounding no matter what system I had, Integra 80.3 pre and Power amps, Denon 4300, Anthem 720 etc. I remember that a Creek Evo 2 and Primare 32 with either an aeries Mini or Pi 3 with Sabre dac board was better but not as good as this Klein 2 dac going straight to an Integra 60.6. No sign of harshness at all.

59FFDBE5-328E-4E10-85F0-DF366DFCB927.jpeg

• Like 1