Raffinator

AV receivers that give top 2ch stereo

I run an Onkyo AV and dedicated 2ch amp with HT pass through for stereo sources.

I saw the promotion from Arcam for their AVRs. So I was wondering what opinions are for AVRs of sufficient 2ch quality that I would put it “all in” and cover both needs?

Speakers are Yamaha Soavo speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure how the NAD would pair with your Yammies, but I ran a NAD T787 for a number of years with my Osborn's and the 2 channel performance was excellent.

addams are very good, but I member an arcam engineer himself posting saying still their top avr at time was about as good as their budget 2ch integrated. so something to keep in mind.

if wanting the digital connectivity of the avrs, both arcam and classe make really good 2ch integrated that have incorporated all the digital inputs etc that the avrs have :)

part from arcam mentioned, historically the nad, rotel, cambridge audio units have been very good 2ch wise. in the japanese avrs you have to go to the top end as 2ch capability (analog stages, pre stage power supplies etc all improve as go up the ladder in my experience.

all that said in pure sound quality dollar for dollar dedicated 2ch gear will always win out and at fraction of cost. and makes sense your dollar is spread rathe thinly across so many things in an avr vs integrated that needs to just cover 2ch and hence dollars concentrated on that. apart from say the nad, rotel, cambridge, arcam avrs you'll also find even basic 2ch integrated have more decent power supplies than many avrs from the other brands so will tend to be more able to deliver power claims vs the more marketing based claims from a lot of avr makers. 

one simple approach to all this is combining systems i.e. dedicated 2ch with av gear to attain best of both worlds. and its a combination that can work seamlessly e.g. with universal remotes so in operation be no different than say an all in one approach.

I have experienced Pioneer LX, Arcam's base model AVR360 and Cambridge Audio 751r.

Arcam was a big jump on the Pioneer for both AV & 2ch, the Cambridge was a big jump over Arcam for both AV & 2ch given its Torodial transformer and a lot more grunt. The 751r even has enough performance to make me happy compared to the Arcam A38 2ch integrated.

In my setup the Arcam and CA were run analogue direct using my klien DAC for 2ch without any need for bass/treble tweaking.

Depends on the budget but based on pure performance per dollar Cambridge would have it over Arcam IMO. Im sure the top Arcam models are very special and will out perform the Cambridge but you are paying 2-3 times the price for an Arcam over the top of the range Cambridge.

If price is no issue the word is that the Arcam 850 is very special indeed!

Guest Sime

I’ve heard a “Rumor” that Classe might be going kaputski…………………

9 minutes ago, Sime said:

I’ve heard a “Rumor” that Classe might be going kaputski…………………

it was just a rumour as turned out though, and there is no good to be made in rumour mongering :) 

Should mention theres only one pre pro in this price category that is dual differential balanced from input/output for 2ch with no single ended conversions ; perfect for other fully balanced components both source [like a oppo bdp105/205 say] and power amp :) .And of course common mode noise reduction for those internal circuits ..

http://www.audioholics.com/av-preamp-processor-reviews/xmc-1-7.2-av-processor 

And its modular design can be upgraded to 7.2.4 as can the classe sigma ssp be upgraded to 5.1.2 if you have a small room . The upgraded classe ssp only has 1 hdcp2.2 input though ..

I've owned an Arcam AVR as well as one of their top end AV888 surround processors. I now have a basic Integra AVR and actually find it better than the Arcams for both surround music and AV. I use an Arcam 7 channel power amp which i bought originally with the Arcam processor and use it with the preouts on the Integra.

I have a separate system for 2 channel but for every day use and a secondary system I use a Bryston CDP running analogue RCAs into the Integra for 9.1 playback as well as an Oppo connected to the Integra with hdmi for 5.1 SACD. 

17 minutes ago, onthebeach said:

I now have a basic Integra AVR and actually find it better than the Arcams for both surround music and AV.

Yes exactly, i agree 100%. I am glad someone here shares that same view because i get scoffed at for sharing that view.

if you don't need any bells and whistles, the old rotel rsx-1550 with conventional class ab amplifiers were great for movies and music.

the class d 1560 etc. not so much.