Vintage Amplifier - Pioneer SX-950

Hi All,

I have the opportunity to get my hands on a fully serviced vintage Pioneer SX-950 in great condition.

These units today are fairly sort after and achieve hefty prices.

I love the vintage units with a view to listening in a separate system I run in my garage.

I've never listened to the higher end Pioneers from the mid-70's. What are they like and would anyone recommend?

Also, how much would you pay...?

Cheers

Well if you dont buy it PM the sellers details and I will certainly go and have a look...

This series is preferred by most to the later "80" series..

as for value/cost all depends on condition and history IMO...anything from say $250..up to a $K for a pristine example.. maybe more..

can you post some images etc..??

good luck

Tase.

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/pioneer/sx-950.shtml

Edited by Tasebass

Thanks Tasebass.

Over the 1K is the market price for these models. There hard to find in the International market for less than US600. Modest investment that shouldn't depreciate...

Anything less would be a steal but you never know.

My friend also has an Akai AM-2950. Fairly good nic. 20Kg mother. Looks like a rebadged Marantz. Apparently was the Top of range in 79 and sounds very nice.

It's a little cheaper. Do you know anything about these ?

The over $1K price really is an eBay BIN price which doesn't really reflect the true market price, not to mention the usual eBay & PayPal fees which would reduce the net value to somewhere around $800-$900. I think Tase's view is realistic.

Hi Happy,

I've never taken much notice of eBay prices and didn't base my query on this at all. I dabble in a few different private forums and the A$1K mark seems common for any of the top-end models from the 70's.

I agree that this price is high but my question is more to whether it's worth this price. Would you not pay this amount?

If you know of something for less, I'm all ears?

This would be worth $1000 if serviced and in great condition any day of the week. And I wouldnt mind finding out how Ebay is not market price. It certainly is, for most of us. BIN is unfortunately accurate a lot of the time. For something like the above sold in AUS (240 Volt) is very hard to find.

Thanks Dammers.

yer not sure why the eBay thing came into my post. There is a lot of other sources to obtain gear without paying what someone else would who probably has more cash to throw around than me.

As for the SX, I could probably spend my coin better on something else performance wise but I like the vintage pioneer and marantz intergrated classics.

I haven't seen the SX yet but hoping it's in good cosmetic condition.

It will be interesting to see how it drives the Celestions ?

On 21/09/2017 at 9:53 AM, EDGEAUDIO said:

Thanks Tasebass.

Over the 1K is the market price for these models. There hard to find in the International market for less than US600. Modest investment that shouldn't depreciate...

Anything less would be a steal but you never know.

My friend also has an Akai AM-2950. Fairly good nic. 20Kg mother. Looks like a rebadged Marantz. Apparently was the Top of range in 79 and sounds very nice.

It's a little cheaper. Do you know anything about these ?

Hi,

re the Akai, I had a 2850 in from a friend for a service around 4 years ago, nice build quality, and made approx 105w per channel on a bench test for power output.   Ended up selling it for the friend on EBay.  It sounded pretty good too!

Cheers

John

Hi John,

the Akai 2950 looks really nice. I heard it briefly and it was bass heavy but really crisp. Paired with some similar era speakers would probably better suit its sound.

Its all original and never had a service check. Price is premium but hopefully won't need much work.

limited info to be found on web. I'm trying to get a chance to connect it with my gear before I decide.

He also has an SX-1010 sitting around that I'm keen to hear also.

sorry getting ahead of myself here?

• 2 weeks later...

I have an SX 1010 Pioneer in mint original condition got it off a mate in a bundle with some other gear he was trying to offload at a garage sale, too many low ball offers so he called me.

Still have the original box and receipt

The unit arrived with problems, One channel had no bass, the phono section didnt work (no bass both channels) nor did the aux input properly (scratchy). I bypassed the preamp (simple option on the back of the unit) and found the power amp section worked perfectly. So the problem was in the pre... so the power supply was good too.......

after spending hours and hours searching the net and thinking I needed a preamp rebuild.......ie new caps resistors trannies etc ( I even had a guy in TXS email me the complete list of parts to replace)

A mate came to stay for a couple of days on his way thru, he is a tv repair guy and recognized the unit or at least the genre. He "rapidly" worked certain push buttons on the panel (the problem ones) and the prob was temporarily fixed.

A quick trip to the shops, returned with contact cleaner / lube spray $10. Treat all switches and pots without needing to disassemble (had to take main cover off and etc)  Works great took less than 1/2 hr / for results but repeated the process acouple of times over 2 - 3 days to be sure that was 6 mths ago

He said that because of all the switches and pots in the unit, a little resistance in one or more of them creates effectively another component in the circuit with various results.

Also replaced the "fuse" lights in the dial with led (12v compatible bought online / they are for car interior lights, cool white color cost afew bucks for 10 or so) works great

The sound, better than most amps I have had but until now still running Bose 301 in my workshop as a second system. until I am sure its all good to plug my good speakers in but havent got around to it. I know what I will find anyway. Plenty solid thumping tight bass, and everything in between. will be about as good as my Rotel RB 981 power amp (thats one of the best/ sought after rotels out of the 90's dont confuse with later knock offs)with maybe a smoother midrange, not as good as PASS Labs XA30.5 but what is?  The option of tailoring the sound with fine and coarse controls is great, the phono section is great equal to most mid level phono up to $500

These top end units not only look retro good they sound as good as anything out there today anywhere close to the current price

P1050274.JPG