TT upgrade advice

@Wansmith yeah those Lp12’s look nice but even when found seem to be super expensive :(

I’m down to two tables: MMF 7.1 and RP6/Planar 6 - hopefully can’t go too far wrong with either of them as an RP1 upgrade.

To start with, I’ll use my existing 2M blue. I’m not really setup for MC yet......

@blakey72 I've got the 2M blue on an RP1 and yeah I agree with you, it works really well. I am actually starting to ask myself: why am I even considering going to an MMF 7.1 or RP6/P6 if I'm already experiencing the joys of vinyl on this TT/cart combination....?

Somebody slap me! 

I'm starting to think maybe I'll just keep the RP1/2M blue combo........oh lord, what to do what to do...... :) 

1 hour ago, robes said:

@blakey72 I've got the 2M blue on an RP1 and yeah I agree with you, it works really well. I am actually starting to ask myself: why am I even considering going to an MMF 7.1 or RP6/P6 if I'm already experiencing the joys of vinyl on this TT/cart combination....?

Somebody slap me! 

I'm starting to think maybe I'll just keep the RP1/2M blue combo........oh lord, what to do what to do...... :) 

If it was me I'd try a 2M Bronze. I had one on my Project Debut Carbon. Quite a few people said it was too much cart for the arm, that it wouldn't resolve the full potential of the Bronze etc etc. Then I read a few reviews of people that had gone ahead with it and been extremely pleased with the outcome, so I took the leap. The sound was fantastic, and quite better than I thought would be possible. 

• Like 1

^Choices, choices, choices. Thanks for the bronze tip!

Now the question comes, sell the rp1 and get an mmf 7.1 (with the 2m blue) or keep the rp1 but change the cartirdge to a bronze, hmmm........ might need a tipple before deciding! ;) 

On 30/07/2018 at 9:42 AM, Wansmith said:

Hi robes - I ended up going for a preloved linn lp12 (with roksan nima arm and dynavector 20x2 lowMC cart).  A clear step up over the rp1 & v happy with the decision!

Way better that way don’t even need any more upgrade although of course u can ask for more just because 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, robes said:

^Choices, choices, choices. Thanks for the bronze tip!

Now the question comes, sell the rp1 and get an mmf 7.1 (with the 2m blue) or keep the rp1 but change the cartirdge to a bronze, hmmm........ might need a tipple before deciding! ;) 

For the look and pride the former

if just for SQ go bronze

• Thanks 1

@robes I would do some research and see if the P1 arm is responsive to the Bronze. I imagine it is to a large degree. 

You can always sell the Blue to help fund the Bronze, usually no issue moving on carts in the classifieds here. I've owned the Bronze and Black, and I think I actually enjoyed the Bronze more....seemed more fun tbh. And if you decide to buy a better table then you can always throw the Bronze on it later on....?

• Like 1

On 22/09/2017 at 9:42 AM, Wansmith said:

Thanks, will check out the Concept too.  

I'd love an LP12 and agree that they represent the best value at this price point if you can get a good second hand deal, but the thing that is putting me off is that from my research, it needs periodic professional servicing that can't practically be done by yourself.  Is this correct? I'd like something that will last 10 years with no professional servicing requirement.

NO.

There's lots in info re set up for the LP12 on the net these days...

It ain't rocket science...

Tase.

• Like 1

I did the opposite, sold my Linn LP12(financial reasons) and bought an old rega planar 2, kept my ortofon 2m bronze and put it on the rega, still a very satisfying listen, life may change again?

I'm thinking of sticking to the RP1/2M blue combo for now and then move to an MMF 7.1 when it feels right ? (let's be honest, that could be anytime, might get up tomorrow with the bug! p.s. not the dire straits song).....

• Like 1

I think i'm about to pull the trigger on a Planar 6 with Ania ($2800) but you can get it with the Exact (mm) cart for closer to 2k.

big thing that's swaying me is the speed control/external PSU setup for motor, and shims are fine for adjusting, lets face it, how often do we really need to change cartridges? 

• Like 1

On a side note, the threaded VTA adjuster mentioned earlier in the thread is ONLY suitable for the earlier RB250/300 etc with the single bolt mount, the new 3 point arms (Line the Planar 3/6) Require the shim, or theres one with 3 mounting positions for 3 heights in 1, but looks a bit ordinary.

Well there is the option to get it without a cartridge too :) I think if you’re buying new you’d struggle to get another tat as good for 2k.

second hand opens up the door to possibilities of course, but you have to be patient or lucky to land a bargain :)

Edited by Gremrock

• 2 weeks later...