Dual MiniMarty's With Dayton Ultimax 18-22's

STAIN0

On 11/22/2017 at 9:29 AM, hochopeper said:

Since the wavelengths are long is there still an issue with output summing differently when you move the second sub to its preferred location? 

Yes, and no.

If you EQ, each subwoofer so the responses at the listening postion are identical .... then they will sum perfectly.   To the degree tha this is not the case, things get complex.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finally think I made some progress getting these beasts somewhat under control.

now I am a complete newb to diy and to pretty much everything else haha. so please offer any advice/comments you can.

Firstly took some REW measurements of each possible sub location.

5a3985a1b6b19_SUBLOCATIONS.jpg.d6d0a8f2d67f7707f8bdec16955106a8.jpg

From those I decided on LWM+RWB, here is how they summed together with no delay applied.

5a3985f6a8143_LWMRBW.jpg.483fe263c2a7b1ef2c83d46f11b44bc2.jpg

Then applied some eq'ing in the Inuke

5a398629d79c4_LWMRBWEQD.jpg.55ba925de61d4b3366c2d1b353dc088b.jpg

Then got some measurements in the other two listening positions. (not ideal, but okay for now)

not sure how to fix the dips at 45hz and 68hz. applying delay might improve one but at the expense of the other.

5a3986bfb8c78_LWMRBWLP12C.jpg.5661689681be8330a94d4232f5fed788.jpg

Then some Centre channel integration (still need to tweak the distance a smidge I think, maybe 2.4m. ok for now)

5a3986edb3a2a_SUBSCENTRE.jpg.8a3274cb27bdbfc044c629f4923b2643.jpg

My mains need sorting out somehow, have not done anything with them except audyssey so far.

But here is how they integrated at 2.5m distance.

5a398819054e5_SUBSMAINS.jpg.13ba074db1eb44878b2d2e4a3ea7fcd8.jpg

For now, it looks ok to me, except the mains below their crossover point (80hz).

Not too sure whats going on or what to do about it, like i said, complete newb :)

"Then applied some eq'ing in the Inuke"

The EQ you have applied here is quite sharp.

Best thing to do, is measure the combined response with no EQ at multiple locations, and then apply EQ that is appropriate for all locations.    You'll likely find that the peaks and dips you're trying to correct are different when you measure from different locations.

Then once you have your EQed result.... remeasure it from multiple locations, to ensure it's faitly flat from all positions.

Otherwise you end up with a result which looks great on paper, but only applied to one position ..... and could be "bad" at other positions.

• Like 1

Re: the dips you want to fix.

You should emasure the phase to apply to correct delay.... ie. don't tinker with the delay just based on peaks and dips in frequency.

Then fix the peaks and dips with EQ.... IF these peaks a dips exisst in all listening positions.... If they don't then just leave them

The dips you are seeing are quire narrow - ie. don't cover very much of an octave .... so they might be better left alone.    It looks bad on a chart, but they're not necessarily very audible   (where as EQ to fix the dip, which is wrong for another listening position, might create a big sharp peak - which can be very audible)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John, welcome to stereo.net.au

I actually have not touched it since I last spoke to you.

your help in pm's has been invaluable thus far, when I do get back into tweak mode I'll no doubt start bothering you again :)

That's good. 

I am in the process of packing up for a cross country move.  The next couple of months will be spotty for forum activity.  I will probably have time to monitor this thread and support as needed, but I may be unavailable for a 2-3 days occasionally.  I doesn't look like you will need much help based on your charts so far, but I can review/confirm your XO timing as needed.

• Like 1

On 21/12/2017 at 10:07 AM, davewantsmoore said:

"Then applied some eq'ing in the Inuke"

The EQ you have applied here is quite sharp.

Best thing to do, is measure the combined response with no EQ at multiple locations, and then apply EQ that is appropriate for all locations.    You'll likely find that the peaks and dips you're trying to correct are different when you measure from different locations.

Then once you have your EQed result.... remeasure it from multiple locations, to ensure it's faitly flat from all positions.

Otherwise you end up with a result which looks great on paper, but only applied to one position ..... and could be "bad" at other positions.

On 21/12/2017 at 10:10 AM, davewantsmoore said:

Re: the dips you want to fix.

You should emasure the phase to apply to correct delay.... ie. don't tinker with the delay just based on peaks and dips in frequency.

Then fix the peaks and dips with EQ.... IF these peaks a dips exisst in all listening positions.... If they don't then just leave them

The dips you are seeing are quire narrow - ie. don't cover very much of an octave .... so they might be better left alone.    It looks bad on a chart, but they're not necessarily very audible   (where as EQ to fix the dip, which is wrong for another listening position, might create a big sharp peak - which can be very audible)

That all makes sense :)

Thanks...