I've made the worlds "greatest" vinyl/record cleaner (so far)

sclalars

Hi everyone!

A mad man you says? no,no,no, I'm serious about this. This is truly the far best record washer ever made.(as far as I know)

I've been listening to records since the early seventies, and I have tried many different washing methods, but no one of them is even close to wash the records so clean as this machine do.

I have friends who wash their records in washers like the expencive VPI 16.5, and after a clean in my machine, they are amazed. Well, enough bragging. :cool:;)

Let me show you.

I had a hard time planning, to make this work, and of course there are better solutions regarding design, but at that time, this is what I came up with. I'm going to make myself a new one soon, a much simplier one, but with the same function.

Here's a couple of drawings I've made, one with automatic function, and a simplier one, a hand driven one.

Both is based on this machine, an ultrasonic cleaner.

(Ultrasonic cleaning uses high frequency sound waves to agitate in an aqueous or organic compound. Cavitation bubbles induced by the agitation act on contaminants adhering to substrates like metals, plastics, glass, rubber, and ceramics. This action also penetrates blind holes, cracks, and recesses.

Often colloquially referred to as a sonicator, is a cleaning device that uses ultrasound (usually from 20–400 kHz) )

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21144[/ATTACH]

The automatic one:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21141[/ATTACH]

And the hand driven one:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21142[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]21143[/ATTACH]

More to come!

cheers

Lars

A mad man you says?

Lars,

Let me be the judge of that. I know 'mad' when I see it :cool:

And sorry, you don't qualify (just yet) for the loonies club ;) I reckon you have nailed the shortcoming of most RCM's. And those ultrasonic cleaners are VERY effective, yet gentle. Certainly more efficient than an RCM.

Do you envisage a problem with the labels being immersed in the solution?

cheers

2sheds

Lars,

Do you envisage a problem with the labels being immersed in the solution?

cheers

2sheds

No, never had a problem with that. It takes about 4 minutes for the records to turn one round, so the water rinses off long before that happens.

And, off course the label never touch the water below.

Some more info about the design:

One of the problems was to make it to go as slow as possible. I searched the net for small motors with as little rpm's as possible, and with the one I found, I had to add a "slightly" large wheel.

Here's some pictures from the start of the project:

I startet out by making a stand for the wheel and motor:

This is my first experiment (many changes to come ;))

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21150[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]21151[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]21152[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]21153[/ATTACH]pencil.png

cheers

Lars

No,no, Young Skywalker, I made mine before this one came on the market:nana, and not to forget, I can wash up to 15 records at the time!

And one more thing, mine is much cheaper:D

Mine costs 450$ AU, the one you refer to costs 2680$ AU. Some difference huh?

Cheers

Lars

Edited by sclalars

I did'nt like the looks with clear acrylic, so I decided to go for a white frost look instead:

I made some mistake while making it, but that's how it is to be a "pioneèr" is'nt it?

Here I forgot to cut out for the electric panel:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21154[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]21156[/ATTACH]

But I did'nt forget this;)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21155[/ATTACH]

Here I've made a test wheel (anyone reconize the speakers in the background?):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21157[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]21158[/ATTACH]

cheers

Lars

Here's the motor I'll be using:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21169[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]21173[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]21174[/ATTACH]

To turn the large wheel I needed a rubber ring ( Hope you understand. My technical English is worse than my terrible english ;))

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21175[/ATTACH]

cheers

Lars

Its about beauty. Your LP cleaner passes!

You are very kind:)

Hifi for me is mostly about DIY (everything else too:D. I even makes my own sandwich once in a while)

As a little "add on" here's my DIY power cables, with furutech plugs:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21183[/ATTACH]

cheers

Lars

Edited by sclalars

I recently replaced a microwave platter motor that spun at 2.7 rpm, it would have been ideal (aside from the voltage).

That would probably work well.

I made this cleaner back in 2008, and since then, many guys here in Norway have made different kind of designed cleaners, and different (better) solutions than mine.

One of the guys used an electric barbeque speer motor. And that's the wonderful world of diy, development!

So one day, I'll make some changes to mine. But right now I have vacation, and just relaxing (and writing here:))

cheers

Lars

I needed a solution of how to attache the wheel to the rack, and this is what I came up with:

A bearing with a small acrylic tube inside

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21186[/ATTACH]

Here's the solution seen from above

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21187[/ATTACH]

And there is 8mm spacers between each record (and of course a beer while washing)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21188[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]21189[/ATTACH]

cheers

Lars

Hi Lars

Love your work ;) you are one cool dude .

Did someone say group buy :cool: .

Cheers

Mal

Thank you Mal!

If you guys decides to buy one of these ultrasonic cleaners, be sure to get one that's large enough for the lp's to fit inside. You have to buy one of those 6 litres with internal measurement of at least 310mm wide.

cheers

Lars