Richter Audio Owners & Discussion Thread

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There has been a lot of interest in Ralph Waters joining the forum, and there have been plenty of members posting comments on Ralph's new member introduction thread about their enjoyment of the produc

Hi Matt, The Evokator was groundbreaking in many ways....and probably ahead of any technology in the world at that time.....let me summarise.   1. It had a dynamic loudness control whic

Hi big fan of the old Richter speaker range I know this conversation was a while ago lol but thought I would show you guys that the old Ranger still living on in very good condition nothing's wrong or

On 12/04/2021 at 8:43 PM, 5L15 said:

@Peter J Warren @Spinnergeoff

Hopefully the link below works,  

https://www.richter.com.au/wp-file-browser-top/manuals/Specifications/Sovereigns-Spec-sheet.pdf

Looks like the Chancellors are No.2 in the pecking order.

Now does anyone have the specs or any literature for the Paladins?

Thanks R Saul or whoever replied. Yes I saw this which relates to the Sovereign series. The one I am enquiring about is a Predator Chancellor. Is that a different year model to the Sovereign series. IDK. I plan to try to contact @ralph waters to see if there are any company records on this model.

On 03/04/2021 at 4:17 PM, earlcole said:

I am hoping someone can enlighten me. I have an old pair of Richter Harlequins from 1994. I have a couple of questions. Although the tweeters  function perfectly, the cloth domes on the tweeters are badly discoloured (refer pic).  Has anyone experienced this before? It looks like a previous owner may have coated them with something and the coating has deteriorated - or perhaps this is a problem with that particular tweeter. I am also keen to know what drivers were used in the Harlequins. I attach a pic of the rear of the mid/bass driver and the high frequency driver. There is no information stamped on them in regards to the make, model, ohmage or power rating. Any information on them would be greatly appreciated.

Richter drivers (4).jpg

Richter drivers (2).jpg

Richter drivers (1).jpg

Are you sure they are Harlequins, they look more like Panthers from what I can see of them.

Edit: can you post a full pic of them and one of the model badge on the back.

Not sure if it will help identify the tweeter but will help having the correct speaker model.

Edited by muon*
13 minutes ago, muon* said:

Are you sure they are Harlequins, they look more like Panthers from what I can see of them.

Edit: can you post a full pic of them and one of the model badge on the back.

Not sure if it will help identify the tweeter but will help having the correct speaker model.

Most definitely Harlequins. The serial number number has "HN".

Never seen the version with that tweeter.

I had Mkll's but they have different tweeters, and Ralph used two different ones so depending on when manufactured it could be a OEM Philips or an Audax model.

The same might be true of that earlier version you have so pinpointing the make and model of the tweeter might be difficult unless someone recognizes it.

Or Ralph pops in and helps you.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, muon* said:

Never seen the version with that tweeter.

I had Mkll's but they have different tweeters, and Ralph used two different ones so depending on when manufactured it could be a OEM Philips or an Audax model.

The same might be true of that earlier version you have so pinpointing the make and model of the tweeter might be difficult unless someone recognizes it.

Or Ralph pops in and helps you.

I searched Google images and found Harlequins with the same tweeter. Based on the serial number mine were built in 1994 - just before the MK IIs were introduced. From what I can gather they used  different drivers throughout the duration of the MKIs which was about 5 years.  They look identical to these SEAS tweeters on Ebay identified in the listing as Richter tweeters (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/High-End-Richter-Acoustics-Seas-3-5-Tweeter-Speaker-K23TND-Norway-/233603204647). The front is exactly the same same and they even have the same cloth discolouration. The serial/model numbers on the back are stamped in the same way and in the same location but the numbers are different.

Close but not identical, yours have two ridges on the flare and those don't.

1015534443_Richterdrivers(2).jpg.bb84ef40e24f8f08dedc118167a85ef9.thumb.jpg.04d67e8c699279fdc56b7a844fea0752.jpgtweet.jpg.5f52e4c29615effacec3cff7d5fb1062.jpg

Anyway, seems the discoloration is not unusual.

Do they sound OK?

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, muon* said:

Close but not identical, yours have two ridges on the flare and those don't.

1015534443_Richterdrivers(2).jpg.bb84ef40e24f8f08dedc118167a85ef9.thumb.jpg.04d67e8c699279fdc56b7a844fea0752.jpgtweet.jpg.5f52e4c29615effacec3cff7d5fb1062.jpg

Anyway, seems the discoloration is not unusual.

Do they sound OK?

Well spotted. The stamps on the back of both suggest they are both SEAS. Yes they sound fine.  

Edited by earlcole
  • Like 1

On 19/04/2021 at 8:54 PM, Peter J Warren said:

Thanks R Saul or whoever replied. Yes I saw this which relates to the Sovereign series. The one I am enquiring about is a Predator Chancellor. Is that a different year model to the Sovereign series. IDK. I plan to try to contact @ralph waters to see if there are any company records on this model.

So I bought the Predator Chancellors. As I type, I'm listening to Tin Pan Alley by Stevie Ray Vaughan.  No need for a subwoofer. These are very efficient speakers. Cabs need a tidy up and no grills unfortunately. I will approach Richter to see if grills are available as spare parts. I've posted the photos from the Marketplace advert as I haven't had a chance to take any decent photographs if these yet. Serial numbers are curiously 16135 and 16138.

So far really enjoying owning these.

Predator Chancellors from Marketplace ad.jpg

Richter Predator Chancellor badge.jpg

• Like 1

Nice pick up, you will likely need to make grills, I'd be surprised if the have spares but no harm in asking.

Hi, I have a pair of Richter oracle speakers which I bought when I was in University 30 years ago. They still me very well. I am trying to buy new AV Receiver for the speakers. Just wondering if anyone remembered what was the impedance for the speaker? It seems the new amplifier only likes impedance that is at least 6 ohms. 

Looking through the forum, this is what I found out:

The Richter speakers that were more sensitive >90Db/w were 4 ohms like the Wizard, where as the speakers like the Merlin that were less sensitive 87-88 Dd/w where rated 6 ohms. I remember that the Oracle speakers were less sensitive 88Dd/w so I am assuming that they are rated 6 ohms. Are my thinking right? I can find any information about what the speakers were rated. 

On 21/07/2019 at 8:57 PM, Lightstream said:

Secondly, I have picked up a pair of early Oracles that will need both bass/mid drivers replacing, or at least the cones and coils. One is seized solid and the other has a badly damaged cone. It never fails to amaze me the lack of respect some people have for hifi gear. One driver I could put down to a nasty accident, the other, seized solid? Hmm. 

Anyway, there are quite a lot of folks with these speakers out there and I'd really love to get both of these speaker pairs running to perfection again. 

Does anyone have spare drivers for these units, OR any advice from those Richter folks in the know? 

Hey Lightstream, how did you go with the Oracles? Thanks to this thread I've been able to ID my pair as Oracles and they require some woofer repair too.

3 hours ago, djnmd said:

Hey Lightstream, how did you go with the Oracles? Thanks to this thread I've been able to ID my pair as Oracles and they require some woofer repair too.

Ahh ... I sold them, the Merlins too. I needed repairs done to a couple of drivers and I decided that since I didn't want keep them anyway, I will just sell them on to someone who will do what needs to be done with them. 

I have since bought a pair of almost mint B&W 610i's for $30 and they make an excellent spare bit of kit. Main speakers are still the wonderful 1968 Sansui SP300's and they take a mighty lot of beating by many new designs in important ways of communication, speed with detail, and despite the horn mids and tweeters they are also still smoother than the metal dome tweeters of the B&Ws, which have an edge at times. 

If you are somewhere near the Sunshine Coast, you could send your Oracles to Vitor at Brisbane Speaker Repair and he will work his magic on them. 

• Like 1