Sign in to follow this  
Spinnergeoff

Richter Audio Owners & Discussion Thread

There has been a lot of interest in Ralph Waters joining the forum, and there have been plenty of members posting comments on Ralph's new member introduction thread about their enjoyment of the products. As a former retailer (now retired) of Australian speakers including Richter throughout the 1990s, I've dug out my brochures and scanned them as pdfs. Rather than add them to that intro thread I'll post them here. Moderators can decide if they want them on that thread as well.

Dragon A.jpg

Dragon B.jpg

Evokator A.jpg

Evokator B.jpg

Excalibur A.jpg

Excalibur B.jpg

Harlequin A.jpg

Harlequin B.jpg

Hydra A.jpg

Hydra B.jpg

Medusa A.jpg

Medusa B.jpg

Merlin A.jpg

Merlin B.jpg

Unicorn A.jpg

Unicorn B.jpg

Wizard A.jpg

Wizard B.jpg

I've got some too to complement, e.g. mk1 thor and harquinn mk2. will add when have a bit of time. though no scanner will just be some photos of them. I have quite a bit info as Ralph included with every sale or was it the retailer I dont know. we had good support from retailers certainly in victoria ... with Audio trends and Secher audio selling the brand along with Orpheus.

@ralph walters Uncle Doug used to love selling the original Wizards. I did too. Just beat him to 100 pairs.

I used to sell Ralph the enameled copper wire for his crossovers in the late 1980's and early to mid 1990's. I still sell the wire but very few make their own speakers here or crossovers for that matter. In fact, there is very little manufacturing of anything here! 

Edited by Lance B

Still got a pair of Wizards in service as the fronts for the TV via a HT receiver.

The Unicorn as the centre in the main music system with the Odin subwoofer.

Edited by Monkeyboi
typo

Hi @ralph waters, when the Richter Evokator subwoofer was released, it was always on my dream list.

Just wondering if it would be possible to elaborate on the design of the unit, and in particular the electronics? I remember at the time that "Kinetic Intelligence" was mentioned, and what seemed to be a dynamic loudness contour/compression.

Also, was the amplifier of the negative feedback type? The flyer posted above (replicated in this post) has some info but I'd be appreciative of anything you could add.

Regards,

Matt

IMG_7650.JPG

Hi Matt,

The Evokator was groundbreaking in many ways....and probably ahead of any technology in the world at that time.....let me summarise.

1. It had a dynamic loudness control which actually emulated the Fletcher Munsen hearing curves and automatically compensated for the human ear perceived loudness of bass with precise accuracy according to volume level and frequency.

2. Instead of compressing the output signal in situations where overload would occur, the input signal was monitored. When the input was looking like it would overload, the lowest bass frequencies were progressively removed until the input signal was shaped so that amplifier overload would not occur. These low frequencies ( which cause overexcursion of the cone), were then restored as soon as the input signal was once again manageable. 

This process was happening continually and in milliseconds and so the Evokator could play very deep and very loud but could also sound exceptionally fast in speed. This combination I believe is very hard to achieve.

3. The circuitry could accommodate any woofer at all. The circuit could manipulate the behaviour of the woofer so you could simply dial up the Small Thiele characteristics of the woofer. This is still a unique feature.

4. The amplifier design itself is something that I am a little hazy on. It was brutally powerful due to its huge toroid transformer and multiple output devices and very reliable. I think it as a standard class B design..

We found the Evokator at the Energy corporation in Canada on their test bench. We had sealed most of the critical circuitry in resin so the secrets of this design are still not revealed. Energy could not unlock the Evokator's secrets!!

Hope that is sufficient detail..But please get back to me if anything I have said is not clear..

Kind Regards

Ralph Waters

Thanks for the clarification @ralph waters. The reviews I read of the unit many years ago were all very positive, and being a pipe organ lover, the mere mention of "16Hz" was enough to grab my attention :-) I have been through many subs in my quest high quality deep bass, and have finally settled on a pair of 12" sealed Rythmik "direct servo" subs.

I'll keep an eye out for an Evokator for a second system, it has always been on my wish list :-)

Many thanks for the extra info.

Regards,

Matt

Got sold a set of Wizards with a Yammy AVR. Sounded TERRIBLE.

Suffered in silence for a year or two (I was a teenager - you're not supposed to admit your mistakes to your friends!), then put a nice HK integrated on it. What a difference! They turned out to be marvellous speakers, and the Yamaha AVR was just horrible at music reproduction.

Then some kind bugger relieved me of ALL my hifi gear a few weeks later. Devastated.

Hi there,

I am glad that the culprit was the amplifier rather than my speakers!

Kind Regards

Ralph

Hi big fan of the old Richter speaker range I know this conversation was a while ago lol but thought I would show you guys that the old Ranger still living on in very good condition nothing's wrong or deteriorated little chipping on the corner of subwoofer but that's about it still sounds incredible20180601_144829.thumb.jpg.0d7290dbc61a8d875c0f5be3fbb22bd2.jpg

20180601_144309.jpg

20180601_144514.jpg

20180601_144456.jpg

20180601_144901.jpg

20180601_144807.jpg

On 16/09/2017 at 4:48 PM, Spinnergeoff said:

For those who are interested, Ralph's very detailed articles on speakers - what makes them good, bad or indifferent - are here:

http://homeentertainment.com.au/speakers.html

There's plenty to learn from them if you're a DIY type!

Hi @Spinnergeoff,

Thanks for the brochures and link.  Sorry to bother, but wondering if you have any information on the Predator Sabre floorstanders, as I can't seem to find out much about them?

Thanks, Bryce

There were a pair of Sabre speakers advertised some years back, and you can find that ad with photos by searching on Richter Sabre in classifieds audio. I think  these were produced by the next phase after Ralph sold the company to Audio Products, but I don't recall them precisely. They appear to be a development along the lines of the Excalibur, and should deliver plenty of oomph!

IIRC, John Fahey formerly of Yamaha was involved and told us that bass impact was an important factor! 

Len Wallis used to stock them and he might have something on file. 

Edited by Spinnergeoff

8 hours ago, formerguest said:

any information on the Predator Sabre floorstanders, 

See above

2 hours ago, Spinnergeoff said:

There were a pair of Sabre speakers advertised some years back, and you can find that ad with photos by searching on Richter Sabre in classifieds audio. I think  these were produced by the next phase after Ralph sold the company to Audio Products, but I don't recall them precisely. They appear to be a development along the lines of the Excalibur, and should deliver plenty of oomph!

IIRC, John Fahey formerly of Yamaha was involved and told us that bass impact was an important factor! 

Len Wallis used to stock them and he might have something on file. 

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Might try him as I still have a pair of great Jamo D450's operating in one of my setups that were purchased from Len about 15 years ago and may have seen a pair of the Sabres at that time, though don't recall listening to them.  At the time speakers such as the Sabres looked so plain and boxy compared to the nice lines and shape of the 450's that I shunned the like, plus and despite multiple cost, the highs on the Jamos were too sweet to resist.

Haven't hooked the Sabres up yet, as I am not staying at home at the moment and only got them and Medusas as part of a purchase with the Thor mk2 sub that I was after, so yet to sample their notes.  As you mentioned, the layout and porting suggests separate enclosures for bass emphasis, which is okay by me.  It will be my first taste of conventional Richter speakers, having had a set of the very different Precious Metals that I moved on at the start of the year, but keeping the Krakatoa sub that came with them.

I did find up my brochures on Excalibur,Unicorn, Evokator which i had the few pages of the user manual but have put it away somewhere I hope and forgot where ! They were before the brochures pictured at the top of this post as it was just the dragon in  the whole product range brochure i have, which has a picture of an fx? holden on a beach-rocks above a child picture on the back of it.

When i saw the post from someone whom had acquired a pair of Excalibur's which needed reconditioning and was asking if it was worth doing. Definately!

Years ago, when having a bonfire 50 meters fro home,  my nephew screwed the volume up way too high with the Marantz sr82 receiver with the input gain turned up high which blew the Aaron speaker on the rear which is driven by an ME550 amplifier, the Excalibur's on the front were fine. Was using a input switch so that i could run either twin stereo---front and back pairs or surround sound.  the Aaron speakers came nowhere near the quality of sound coming from the Excalibur's! The oval mesh covers look terrific too!

Looking at the brochure the Merlin, Harlequin, Wizard, Dragon and Excalibur speakers all had the oval mesh cover at the time. Only the Evokator sub woofer,Unicorn center and Hydra rear were square- rectangular covers. 

My Excalibur's are still in original condition and  the best sounding speaker i have heard, dragons way back then were nowhere near as good sounding to me. i run them with an ME550 mk11 amp with extra capacitance capacity? I have not heard the dragon-v.

Since acquiring them in the late 90's i have not been able to listen to music in a vehicle due to the terrible sound by comparison! 

originally the Me's were fed by a Marantz sr82 receiver and now by an onkyo txnr 801 after the Marantz was zapped, lightning? and lost its video capabilities.

I  had to have the Evokators  paper-foam replaced a couple of years ago where it rotted away?

Now that I know there are Richter fans here and those who have worked with these speakers, I now have TWO sets of early Richter speakers that require new drivers or driver repairs. 

Firstly, is a pair of early Merlins that has a damaged 116mm bass driver - not seized - in one cabinet. The whole cone will need replacing, both driver sets measure 6.2 ohms. 

Cabinets are 320mm x 190mm x 210mm and beautifully dead to the rap on the sides. Very impressive! 

Secondly, I have picked up a pair of early Oracles that will need both bass/mid drivers replacing, or at least the cones and coils. One is seized solid and the other has a badly damaged cone. It never fails to amaze me the lack of respect some people have for hifi gear. One driver I could put down to a nasty accident, the other, seized solid? Hmm. 

Anyway, there are quite a lot of folks with these speakers out there and I'd really love to get both of these speaker pairs running to perfection again. 

Does anyone have spare drivers for these units, OR any advice from those Richter folks in the know? 

I did send Richter photos of the Merlins (the ID has worn off the serial number patches on both sets) and they said they could do nothing for me because they didn't recognise them. Funny, many other folks on-line knew exactly what they were, as they own or have owned them personally. I will have to have another go with Richter. 

The Oracles also turn out to be earlier models: sized 484mm x 212 x 298mm with 140mm bass/mid cones to the outside of the foam.  The cabinets are I think Jarrah, really rather nice, solid too. 

It would be really great if someone can help me out here. I live in Palmwoods on the Sunshine Coast and will likely need to ship drivers to Sydney if there is no good repair shop closer to home. 

Pictures show the little Merlins first. Thanks everyone. 

PC310904.jpg

PC310906.jpg

P7210003.jpg

P7210004.jpg

P7210005.jpg

P7210008.jpg

Here is the 1st page of the Evokators handbook with some info on the specifications, features.

evokator .pdf

Hey all, a quick question. 

Came into possession of a pair of Panther II speakers, and one of them sounds great! However, with one of them, the tweeter and woofer doesn't output any sound at all. 

I'm fairly new to the speaker world (bought these on recommendation from a co-worker at the second hand shop I work at), and I'm a bit lost. Would anyone have any advice on where to start troubleshooting? I've tried both speakers on various AVRs, just to make sure that it's not the amp or the channel causing me grief. 

Thanks in advance! 

Guest Muon N'

You can first check inside the faulty speaker and make sure all connections are as they should be, and there are no broken or dry solder joins anywhere on the crossover.

Could be bad drivers, you can check this by swapping those ones that are not apparently working with the ones in the working speaker and see if they still don't work.

You can also test the impedance or resistance on the terminals of the non working speaker drivers out of circuit, and compare those readings to the working ones.

Hi there. 
new member here. I’ve just come into possession of some mk1 Wizards and have been scouring this forum and the rest of the internet for info. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the nom impedance of them? I see the mk2 is 4ohms and assume the mk1s are the same. 

also, related question; my amp (Yamaha rx396) states when running 1 set of speakers they have to be 8ohm min. And if you want to run both sets they must be 16min. 
I have been running the wizards through this amp and they sound great. But I haven’t really pushed them. Am I likely to damage them if they are indeed 4 ohm?

thanks in advance. 
james.