Richter Audio Owners & Discussion Thread

On 12/04/2021 at 8:43 PM, 5L15 said:

@Peter J Warren @Spinnergeoff

Hopefully the link below works,  

https://www.richter.com.au/wp-file-browser-top/manuals/Specifications/Sovereigns-Spec-sheet.pdf

Looks like the Chancellors are No.2 in the pecking order.

Now does anyone have the specs or any literature for the Paladins?

Thanks R Saul or whoever replied. Yes I saw this which relates to the Sovereign series. The one I am enquiring about is a Predator Chancellor. Is that a different year model to the Sovereign series. IDK. I plan to try to contact @ralph waters to see if there are any company records on this model.

On 03/04/2021 at 4:17 PM, earlcole said:

I am hoping someone can enlighten me. I have an old pair of Richter Harlequins from 1994. I have a couple of questions. Although the tweeters  function perfectly, the cloth domes on the tweeters are badly discoloured (refer pic).  Has anyone experienced this before? It looks like a previous owner may have coated them with something and the coating has deteriorated - or perhaps this is a problem with that particular tweeter. I am also keen to know what drivers were used in the Harlequins. I attach a pic of the rear of the mid/bass driver and the high frequency driver. There is no information stamped on them in regards to the make, model, ohmage or power rating. Any information on them would be greatly appreciated.

Richter drivers (4).jpg

Richter drivers (2).jpg

Richter drivers (1).jpg

Are you sure they are Harlequins, they look more like Panthers from what I can see of them.

Edit: can you post a full pic of them and one of the model badge on the back.

Not sure if it will help identify the tweeter but will help having the correct speaker model.

Edited by muon*

13 minutes ago, muon* said:

Are you sure they are Harlequins, they look more like Panthers from what I can see of them.

Edit: can you post a full pic of them and one of the model badge on the back.

Not sure if it will help identify the tweeter but will help having the correct speaker model.

Most definitely Harlequins. The serial number number has "HN".

Never seen the version with that tweeter.

I had Mkll's but they have different tweeters, and Ralph used two different ones so depending on when manufactured it could be a OEM Philips or an Audax model.

The same might be true of that earlier version you have so pinpointing the make and model of the tweeter might be difficult unless someone recognizes it.

Or Ralph pops in and helps you.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, muon* said:

Never seen the version with that tweeter.

I had Mkll's but they have different tweeters, and Ralph used two different ones so depending on when manufactured it could be a OEM Philips or an Audax model.

The same might be true of that earlier version you have so pinpointing the make and model of the tweeter might be difficult unless someone recognizes it.

Or Ralph pops in and helps you.

I searched Google images and found Harlequins with the same tweeter. Based on the serial number mine were built in 1994 - just before the MK IIs were introduced. From what I can gather they used  different drivers throughout the duration of the MKIs which was about 5 years.  They look identical to these SEAS tweeters on Ebay identified in the listing as Richter tweeters (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/High-End-Richter-Acoustics-Seas-3-5-Tweeter-Speaker-K23TND-Norway-/233603204647). The front is exactly the same same and they even have the same cloth discolouration. The serial/model numbers on the back are stamped in the same way and in the same location but the numbers are different.

6 minutes ago, muon* said:

Close but not identical, yours have two ridges on the flare and those don't.

1015534443_Richterdrivers(2).jpg.bb84ef40e24f8f08dedc118167a85ef9.thumb.jpg.04d67e8c699279fdc56b7a844fea0752.jpgtweet.jpg.5f52e4c29615effacec3cff7d5fb1062.jpg

Anyway, seems the discoloration is not unusual.

Do they sound OK?

Well spotted. The stamps on the back of both suggest they are both SEAS. Yes they sound fine.  

Edited by earlcole
  • Like 1

On 19/04/2021 at 8:54 PM, Peter J Warren said:

Thanks R Saul or whoever replied. Yes I saw this which relates to the Sovereign series. The one I am enquiring about is a Predator Chancellor. Is that a different year model to the Sovereign series. IDK. I plan to try to contact @ralph waters to see if there are any company records on this model.

So I bought the Predator Chancellors. As I type, I'm listening to Tin Pan Alley by Stevie Ray Vaughan.  No need for a subwoofer. These are very efficient speakers. Cabs need a tidy up and no grills unfortunately. I will approach Richter to see if grills are available as spare parts. I've posted the photos from the Marketplace advert as I haven't had a chance to take any decent photographs if these yet. Serial numbers are curiously 16135 and 16138.

So far really enjoying owning these.

Predator Chancellors from Marketplace ad.jpg

Richter Predator Chancellor badge.jpg

• Like 1

Hi, I have a pair of Richter oracle speakers which I bought when I was in University 30 years ago. They still me very well. I am trying to buy new AV Receiver for the speakers. Just wondering if anyone remembered what was the impedance for the speaker? It seems the new amplifier only likes impedance that is at least 6 ohms. 

Looking through the forum, this is what I found out:

The Richter speakers that were more sensitive >90Db/w were 4 ohms like the Wizard, where as the speakers like the Merlin that were less sensitive 87-88 Dd/w where rated 6 ohms. I remember that the Oracle speakers were less sensitive 88Dd/w so I am assuming that they are rated 6 ohms. Are my thinking right? I can find any information about what the speakers were rated. 

On 21/07/2019 at 8:57 PM, Lightstream said:

Secondly, I have picked up a pair of early Oracles that will need both bass/mid drivers replacing, or at least the cones and coils. One is seized solid and the other has a badly damaged cone. It never fails to amaze me the lack of respect some people have for hifi gear. One driver I could put down to a nasty accident, the other, seized solid? Hmm. 

Anyway, there are quite a lot of folks with these speakers out there and I'd really love to get both of these speaker pairs running to perfection again. 

Does anyone have spare drivers for these units, OR any advice from those Richter folks in the know? 

Hey Lightstream, how did you go with the Oracles? Thanks to this thread I've been able to ID my pair as Oracles and they require some woofer repair too.

3 hours ago, djnmd said:

Hey Lightstream, how did you go with the Oracles? Thanks to this thread I've been able to ID my pair as Oracles and they require some woofer repair too.

Ahh ... I sold them, the Merlins too. I needed repairs done to a couple of drivers and I decided that since I didn't want keep them anyway, I will just sell them on to someone who will do what needs to be done with them. 

I have since bought a pair of almost mint B&W 610i's for $30 and they make an excellent spare bit of kit. Main speakers are still the wonderful 1968 Sansui SP300's and they take a mighty lot of beating by many new designs in important ways of communication, speed with detail, and despite the horn mids and tweeters they are also still smoother than the metal dome tweeters of the B&Ws, which have an edge at times. 

If you are somewhere near the Sunshine Coast, you could send your Oracles to Vitor at Brisbane Speaker Repair and he will work his magic on them. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Guest niterida

I just found out that one of my work colleagues used to build RIchters - her dad is @ralph waters :) 

And off-topic but one of my other colleagues has a brother in law who is on the Board of Directors of Dolby !!

Edited by niterida

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2017 at 7:11 PM, ralph waters said:

Hi Matt, There were a number of iterations of the Excalibur. I am very keen to see which model you have. Would you mind if you posted a pic?

That would be of great personal interest to me.

With Thanks

Ralph

Hi ralph i o own 2 pairs of excaliburs, 1 pair in the cherry and other in black.. If its possible could you answer some for me questions if its not to much trouble?

20210720_161445.jpg

received_469458277825815.jpeg

20210616_194327.jpg

20210616_194315.jpg

Guest niterida
1 hour ago, Rabsy said:

Hi ralph i o own 2 pairs of excaliburs, 1 pair in the cherry and other in black.. If its possible could you answer some for me questions if its not to much trouble?

He hasn't been on this forum for 4 years.........................

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

As of a few days ago I am now the owner of two pairs of classic Richter speakers and this seems like the appropriate place to share my story and appreciation. 

I stumbled upon my first pair a year or so ago. I took a punt on a pair going for $100 a few suburbs away. Prior to this I knew nothing of these speakers, but the new ones were expensive, so I figured the older ones should be half way decent. What I ended up with was an original pair of Richter Merlins (walnut finish) circa 1993   according to a Richter rep. I tried them on a couple of different amps, but found they sang better on the early 90s Onkyo beast (TX906)  which  I had, more than the NAD 7020e that I move around the house. At the time I had a sub hooked up to the amp as well, and on initial setup, wanted to hear them by themselves. Starting to listen to them  I thought I'd screwed up and left the sub on, but when I double checked, it was off. I was taken aback by the lower extension .... but not only that, the stereo imaging and overall clarity from these wee beast just constantly surprised me. All that sound from those little boxes. Punch, deep and clear.  These are now my bedroom listening pair with that 

So now I knew to keep my eyes peeled for these in the marketplace. 

Fast forward to earlier this week when I spotted an older pair of Richters. Some rapid googling confirmed that I was looking at a pair of Mk I Wizards with their original stands for $100. Obviously I immediately messaged the guy and let him know I'd take them. Apparently he'd literally just dropped the price from $150 because it was getting no interest.  I can't say I was as surprised as I was by the initial pair, but they are/were what I was expeting and that's pretty satisfying!!

They're currently running in my music studio with my turntables connected for my mixing and playing pleasure. They're replaced (what I assume are) some 3 way kit speakers with 12"s woofers that have served my a long long time. They had a very respectable sound, what ever they were, but they have finally been superceded!!

Currently running off the NAD 7020e, so I am considering an alternative amp. Happy to hear recommendations on that front. Cheers!

• Like 2

On 30/01/2022 at 5:17 PM, RayVibes said:

As of a few days ago I am now the owner of two pairs of classic Richter speakers and this seems like the appropriate place to share my story and appreciation. 

I stumbled upon my first pair a year or so ago. I took a punt on a pair going for $100 a few suburbs away. Prior to this I knew nothing of these speakers, but the new ones were expensive, so I figured the older ones should be half way decent. What I ended up with was an original pair of Richter Merlins (walnut finish) circa 1993   according to a Richter rep. I tried them on a couple of different amps, but found they sang better on the early 90s Onkyo beast (TX906)  which  I had, more than the NAD 7020e that I move around the house. At the time I had a sub hooked up to the amp as well, and on initial setup, wanted to hear them by themselves. Starting to listen to them  I thought I'd screwed up and left the sub on, but when I double checked, it was off. I was taken aback by the lower extension .... but not only that, the stereo imaging and overall clarity from these wee beast just constantly surprised me. All that sound from those little boxes. Punch, deep and clear.  These are now my bedroom listening pair with that 

Nice finds.

I have a pair of early Oracles purchased from another member and also very impressed with the full clean bass for their size.

They're similar to your Merlins, but with a slightly bigger cabinet and a front port.  The doping on the woofers was engineered by Richter to get the precise rolloff that they wanted for a simpler crossover & better phase response.  The foam surrounds were also treated with a special coating that maintained the flexibility, but prevented them from breaking down like you see happening on the early AR speakers and others.  Both very innovative features at the time.

Mine aren't currently in use, but only because they were replaced in my 2nd system by my late father-in-law's transmission line speakers.

Sitting in my garage are a pair of very rare quasi 4 way (4 driver) Richter Sabres. They sound good but they are huge and my wife does not want them anywhere in the house. The Sabre were part of the Predator series dating back to the early to mid 2000s. They are a large dual enclosure, twin vent cabinet and the bass extension is phenomenal – rated at 19 Hz. They are very easy to drive with a sensitivity of 91 dB. There is a lot to like about them but I don't think Richter sold many of them and production was short lived as a result. Perhaps their size put people off.

SPECIFICATIONS

Impedance: Min 4 Ohms
Frequency response: 19Hz–20kHz ± 3dB
Rec. amp power: 15–200 watts
Sensitivity: 91dB
Dimensions (mm): H 945 W 245 D 350
Drivers: bass 8”,  2 x midrange 6.5”, high frequency 2.5”
Weight (each) 21kg

Richter Sabre (1).jpg

Richter Sabre (2).jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,
I'm new here and this was the most relevant thread I could find so forgive me if I'm in the wrong place but I'm wondering if someone can identify these Richter speakers that only have a serial number, not a model number?
Cheers.

P1000669-save.jpg

P1000682-save.jpg

12 hours ago, Lamont said:

Hi everyone,
I'm new here and this was the most relevant thread I could find so forgive me if I'm in the wrong place but I'm wondering if someone can identify these Richter speakers that only have a serial number, not a model number?
Cheers.

P1000669-save.jpg

P1000682-save.jpg

They look like Merlin MkII s.. the ML in the serial number would denote Merlins

• Like 2