audience au24 se usb choice - what happens next?

Hi

looking for some experienced views

i recently bought an audience au24 se usb. An ex show sample through cable co.

i use it for my audirvana / tidal streaming -> metrum hex-> wa2-> hd800/lcd2

i have just upgraded from a stock usb cable

i am finding more detail and separation with a fantastic sweet tone in the mids however my first few hours listening is finding a lot of tracks with too much separation. and perhaps a litle on the thin sound as part of that - particularly the upper end. have i gone too far with this? will this change with more time? is this typical of this usb?

also in the past i have used a norne silvergarde cable with my hd800 that i have really enjoyed and the highs have been kept in check. as i sold that cable i currently only have the stick hd800 cable but am planning to buy the upgraded silvergarde but my first listen to this new usb cable also has me worried things will be thin or too bright?

any views opinions on what i may be experiencing or should expect?

thanks
Edited by Ccollins

I would wait for abit more in terms of how long you had this USB cable in your system, keep after about 150-200 hours with music playing. Whether you believe or don't believe in cable burn in or the argument that it's your ears that adjust, give it abit of time to pass your final judgement as to what presentation this USB cable brings to your system

Neo

Unfortunately no so I can't give you an insight on your journey with it. Value for money if there is such a thing is  Audioquest Coffee, that's what I'm using at the moment. 

In regard to the current USB cable give it time to get a good idea what it about, otherwise it's a merry go round chasing who know what

Neo

How are the mids on the coffee? 

And i should ask about the lower end and upper end too?

do you find it overall goid on detail and space and is it quite coherent in bringing it together?

i did hear the carbon the other day - have you by any chance compared the two?

any other usb cables you may have tried along the way?

ta

Audioquest Coffee very natural analogue presentation; detail, timing, space are just spot on in my setup. Carbon value for money is very good, but I base that on reviews unfortunately. But if you want to go that one step further Coffee will be the way to go unless you not strapped for cash and can buy diamond.

in regard to other USB cables I haven't tried   apart from Belkin gold, although I did have a 5m forest along time ago. I have a full loom of Audioquest solid silver in analogue and digital, so I'm aware what benefits you get when you go up the chain in Audioquest range

Neo

Hey Ccollins 

check this review out https://audiobacon.net/2017/09/18/curious-cables-usb-review/

your Audience cable is neutral sounding compared to the Curious read through the review to get an idea what sound you might like?

currently I'm using the Phasure Lush USB , I do also have the Curious USB a the moment too

4 hours ago, musical physic said:

Hey Ccollins 

check this review out https://audiobacon.net/2017/09/18/curious-cables-usb-review/

your Audience cable is neutral sounding compared to the Curious read through the review to get an idea what sound you might like?

currently I'm using the Phasure Lush USB , I do also have the Curious USB a the moment too

Thanks for that. That looks like a great write up for comparsions and overall usb info. Ive only just skim read it but will digest it  better later when i get a chance

i was /am considering the curious cable if the audience cable and me dont quite come together with more burn in (no rush) but the main concern/question i have with the curious is if it’s too “musical” /warm for my system and preferences. I do like the mid and lower tones of the audience as they do hit a sweet spot for me. 

I’m just hoping there will be more cohesion in the overall sound spectrum and lesss space between. I shall wait and “see”

Cheers

peter

• 1 month later...

my ears and the audience cable have now come together nicely - one way or another (ie cable burn in or brain burn in)

i certainly appreciate that the cheaper cable I had was quite "veiled" and i think that is why I now hear the lcd 2 and wa2 a little more less well matching than they previously were. still listenable but my set up is now less forgiving of that

and re the hd800's with a norne silver cable that i previously had that brought up the level of extension and detail so now does the audience usb cable. not exactly the same but again brings up the quality of sound

i'll have to see how my plan to pick up a new updated norne silveragrde will be in the is modified setup. fear of too much of a good thing as currently all is good/satisfying/pleasurable

Edited by Ccollins

• 8 months later...
On 23/09/2017 at 6:20 PM, musical physic said:

Hey Ccollins 

Hi Musical Physic, im considering buying a lush and am also interested in how you found it compares to the curious. Is your experience similar to that reported by audiobacon? Interested in whether you notice much loss of detail with lush, how soundstage compares, warmth etc.  Cheers