Sign in to follow this  
petetherock

Marantz 2017-2018 range

11 hours ago, Mobe1969 said:

So if you wanted 11 channel amped then, is there a concensus around here? I must admit I've not looked into Anthem before. Price wise and prior experience, I've honestly lived with Onkyo for years and had no real issues, so am even considering the RZ3100 again. My movie room is only 3.6x4.8, I don't really like anything too loud, so I'm not too worried about needing a high amount of power per channel.

The new Marantz haven't been released yet so maybe audition other makes in the meantime Mobe . I would put onkyo at the end of that list due to its proprietary accueq system ; good room eq needs plenty of horsepower for the filters and doesn't ignore the main l/r :winky:

2 minutes ago, cwt said:

The new Marantz haven't been released yet so maybe audition other makes in the meantime Mobe . I would put onkyo at the end of that list due to its proprietary accueq system ; good room eq needs plenty of horsepower for the filters and doesn't ignore the main l/r :winky:

yeah with 750W max consumption on the 11 channel marantz lot more likely to support something across those 11 channels than many of those weedy AVRs. 11 channels off an avr is going to be challenge for most, so worth seeking out those lot more likely to support with As gutsy as power supply as possible :)

What about the Pioneer Elite models? I know they are class D. The hifi site reviews on them seem good, but not much on forums. I can't actually find a thread on the Pioneers here.

Some info about the 8012 I have gleaned from a few places:

Only HDMI 2.0b
22 000 times TWO not four uF, that's the same as the 7200 but supplying 11 channels instead of 9
4458VN DAC not the 4490 in the 7200
No upgrade path unlike the 7200 or the coming AVC X8500

The spiritual successor to the 7200 is probably the AVC X8500... which is due after CES 2019

10 minutes ago, petetherock said:

id say there will either be a marantz flagship pre pro or or denon avp. the 8012 looks like its going to be pegged. re upgrade path D&M tends to be across the board or at the very least picking up the flagship models os would be very surprised ion the 8012 isnt updated down track as well. unless there is plan to leave it behind ! 

On 12/24/2017 at 7:04 PM, petetherock said:

Only HDMI 2.0b
22 000 times TWO not four uF, that's the same as the 7200 but supplying 11 channels instead of 9
4458VN DAC not the 4490 in the 7200
No upgrade path unlike the 7200 or the coming AVC X8500

The spiritual successor to the 7200 is probably the AVC X8500... which is due after CES 2019

Some pricing / availability (now), here: https://www.stereo.net.au/news/marantz-has-a-new-flagship-av-receiver-and-were-excited

As is usual a few tidbits are released/leaked early from CES or indeed via av forums :) The stablemate to the denon avc 8500 -the Marantz 8805 has surfaced ; no word on its hdmi2.1 upgrade unlike the denon at this very early stage ..

• 13.2 channel preamplifier
  • 13.2 Channel decoding processing and pre-output
  • Dolby Atmos (7.1.6 or 9.1.4), DTS: X, Auro 3D built-in
  • New 2 ADI Griffin Lite
  • DSP Equipped with 32bit AKM4490 DAC decoder chip
  • 7 + 1 input / 3 output HDMI (3D / eARC)
  • HDCP2.2-HDMI2.0a
  • Support Audyssey MultEQ XT32 sound field calibration, Audyssey App support
  • WiFi, BT, AirPlay, RS232 and IP control
  • Internet radio, Phono
  • Marantz HDAM current feedback circuit
  • Copper chassis, toroidal transformer
  • Auro-3D (13.1) DTS Virtual: X (Upgraded)
  • Built-in wireless Multi Room HEOS
  • eARC, Dolby Vision, HLG
  • Support Audyssey Remote App (paid download)
Edited by cwt

From all accounts so far in other forums, the 8012 will be using the HDMI 2.0b - like it's brethen from the 2017 series.
So for current owners of the x011 and x010 series, the impetus to upgrade is a lot less.
It also uses a similar DACs and it's main draw is the toroidal transformer, plus the extra two channels. Unlike the Denon 8500, it's ability to process more channels and have separate setups for different sound formats seems to be limited..
The concept of this amp is still very tempting. 
Take choice parts like the HDAM modules, Caps and Toroidal from similar models, ala the PM 11 S3, using similar processing chips ala SHARC and DACs from what has been in use already and slap on a higher price tag... let's see how much it costs landed..