Sign in to follow this  
JPete9

Very basic receiver requirements

I watch streamed stuff mostly, movies, tv and music vids. Currently have HTiB Samsung D5550W. I want something much better to go with my 65in 4k, but dont want to spend 000s

I need 5.1, ARC and CEC. I just want the sound to be work as part of the TV without needing extra remotes just to watch TV.

I need enough juice to drive NS690 as the fronts and i will build/buy the rest of the speakers over time. (maybe try and use the samsung sub/rears for the next few months while i save for a speaker set)

I want great sound quality - but i am not looking for super high end.

I prefer configurable audio settings, so i dont have to scroll through and turn off '3d sound' hitting the button 3 times while it goes from High to Med to Low to Off each time it turns on.

Whats a simple inexpensive receiver option? I would ideally like to spend less than 300...but realise it might not be realistic.

Edited by JPete9

What is the min i need to spend ?

its like asking whats the min to spend on a 2ch jpete :)

the question more is how low or high do you want to go :D 

most systems are pretty set forget. e.g. denon and marantz will remember your settings by input what ever selected last time. so down need to be changing all the time.

in my opinion a lot of the really bargain basement units are pretty average. many dont even have pre outs so you cant even plug into rest of your system if that intend to do. many have puny power supplies less that what you have to drive 2 ch let alone the 7-11 channels they try to drive !  and with silly marketing based claims. 

if wanting 4k uhd pass through you are looking at very current units or at worst as far back as 2015 units from denon or marantz that can be brought upto current specs with updates and such. 

so again i guess what is your budget. you are saying no to to anything 000's in it ?  well I doubt will find anything cheaper I dont think that is worth bothering about. even decent sound bars cost over $1k these days ! theres a 2nd hand one going for $1200 in the commercial classifieds :)

are you planning on dumping the rest of your 2ch gear ? as you might be surprised just how far up the tree you have to go in avrs to better dedicated 2ch gear for sound.

How about a 2nd hand 2nd from the top AVR from say 3-5 years back?

If you find a nice amp that would be more value, and will drive your 5.1 setup nicely with spare power too. 

$300 might just be enough for a 5 year old one..

thanks. no i am not using my 2ch stuff in this. 2 different rooms and systems.

The TV has a simple Home Theatre in a Box. Its better than the TV speaker, but its not awesome. I just want the entry level - something much better than the blueray - but not expecting the same as my 2ch. I dont even need 4k passthrough, just CEC and ARC - though it probably wouldn't make sense to buy something without it at this point. Its just a pure audio system for the TV. 

Some one will have figured out the one of the base models has a lot of beefier internls, processes the right formats and it makes a great entry level unit...once you start looking at the nices one you get swamped with features and stuff i dont need.

I say 300 but i can go higher. But i am not looking for high end. And yep, definitely love 2nd hand!

Look at the Ambertech refurb EBay store. Not much there at the moment but more regularly get added. A 30.4 or 30.5 would be around the $400 -$500 mark.

On ‎13‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 10:38 PM, JPete9 said:

I need 5.1, ARC and CEC. I just want the sound to be work as part of the TV without needing extra remotes just to watch TV.

The trouble with reliable CEC control Pete is the many proprietary versions out there which sometimes aren't too compatible with others ; Sammys anynet ; Panasonics viera link ;Sonys bravia link etc:winky:  Hopefully whats stable now will remain so ..

That audio over the 2-pin link in HDMI 2.1 also includes a “discover mechanism.” Today ARC performs discovery in CEC, which has famously suffered from brand-to-brand interoperability issues. Over the years, the HDMI Forum has received numerous complaints about CEC due to this. The issue is related to a very low-speed BUS (around 1Kbps) in CEC. When using many different HDMI-CEC devices, or even one rogue device, the BUS can become plugged and stops ARC from working. Experts said this should go away in HDMI 2.1 through the new eARC spec.

https://hdguru.com/hdmi-2-1-to-bring-robust-home-theater-experience/

If you have troubles a good harmony remote can mitigate your remote proliferation :thumb:

So far its working ok - we have a harmony and i dont mind switching to it if i need to - however it never really works as good and i would have to add proper discrete programming of every setting to my list of wants :) 

Edited by JPete9