Redgum Black series RGi120ENR

Odyssey

Hi folks,

Wonder if any of you have any experience with the Redgum Black Series RGi120ENR integrated amp. It's supposed to be a monster but I'm intending to use it to drive my Axis LS88, which at the moment is undergoing a midrange drivers refoaming because the foam have deteriorated over the years. It's with Len Wallis at the moment.  I've had the LS88 since 1999 and they were very good sounding speakers to my ears. :-) The speakers are in Rosewood and as new as they were nearly 20 years ago. Incredible right?

I'm at the moment using a Denon AVR-3805 HT receiver to drive the LS88. Not doing it justice I know. For source, I've the Rega RP8 with Apheta cartridge and Avid Pellar phono amp, which I bought recently. So I'm thinking of a dedicated stereo amp to drive the floor standing speakers, which is rated at 150watts RMS per channel and 4 ohms. They do benefit from a big dose of power, so John Reilly tells me and he recommended me the Redgum Black Series RGi120ENR.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Anyone else with experience on the Redgum amp?

I needed more opinions on this because Redgum seems to be well regarded in this thread with certainly one satisfied customer.... or more than one.

Edited by Odyssey

14 hours ago, walker1000 said:

http://liquidaudio.com.au/redgum-australian-quality-you-decide/    

Go and have a read and then decide if you want to go ahead with the Redgum.

The review you've linked to relates to an older, and fundamentally different Redgum amplifier, so to the OP I'd say take this with a grain of salt.

I have owned a Redgum SonofaGum for around 6 years, and until recently I also owned a Redgum RGI60ENR. Both amplifiers have sounded excellent and been nothing but utterly reliable.

Redgum have a "minimal intervention" approach to design; it's not the way many others do it (nor necessarily the only good way), but it certainly works at delivering quality sound with plenty of dynamic drive. Add to that excellent local support direct from the manufacturer and a generous warranty, and I think they're a very safe bet.

If you're prepared to go down the pre-power route, I suggest also looking at Holton Precision Audio. The 3-0-0 would also meet your needs in terms of power and current drive and stability, and again you're dealing with a local manufacturer so excellent support.

In any case, in my personal experience with Redgum I have had nothing but positive results; likewise with Holton. A lot of people want to pass on second-hand opinions; you won't find many people who've owned Redgum amps who aren't happy with them. :-) My2c

• Like 1

I had an RGi60 once. It is often heralded as 300B on roid by some. You get some idea there. Great bass. Someone else who borrowed it from me thought he didn't need a sub with this amp. If your speakers are a little too lean/neutral etc the amp would make a great match.

I owned one in the past and while I should be careful with what I say. I agree with the linked article 100%.. I sold mine to someone I knew and was well aware of my opinion but wanted to try it anyway.

He kept it for 6 months and then sold it to someone unknown.

Let's put it this way. If this identical amp, was on a Chinese audio website but re badged as a ( insert Chinese name here ),probably no body would buy one if they posted a pic of the internals. I am not trying to bash anyone here, I just think there are numerous integrated amplifiers in the market that are a far better choice.

I like buying Australian as well but don't let patriotism gloss over good decision making.

• Like 5

@Odyssey I know one very experienced fellow @Cafad who prides himself on his reviews and who's opinion I trust. How many amplifiers are you up to now Jeff? Anyway here is a link to a review Jeff did a while ago of the RGi120ENR.

What little experience I have had with the redgum amplifiers is that they are quite a warm type of sound (fairly bassy beasts). For more detail read above link.

The parts in the ENR Black series are somewhat utilitarian though the design is no-where like the one shown in that very old article that was linked to above. I think Ian Robinson's approach to selecting components is that he doesn't believe that you need exotic parts and looking inside his amp's will confirm this. There are a number of sub-boards linked by not terribly aesthetically pleasing cable. Parts are similar to the ones shown in the article - nothing in any way fancy (none of the standard audio-phile parts such as Wima and so forth).That is not a criticism, just a statement based on my direct experience.

In terms of sound, the ENR Black obviously is defined by its bass. This is due to the fact that there is a 2nd order high pass filter that boosts bass by a considerable degree below about 80hz. The peak is at about 10hz. In the older models the peak was about 10dB and I have not seen figures on the Black to compare. Again, not a criticism - just facts.

The midrange is a little bit polite - at least with my speakers. Treble is well balanced. I believe the sound is aimed at a more mature audience that favours long term listening over dramatics. It is a little bit NAD in that respect. 

Image result for redgum enr black

Image result for redgum amplifier measurements

source - http://www.redgumaudio.com/au/review27_rgm175_sstage_measure.html

Edited by scumbag

I had an RGI60 an older model. My thoughts echo Rantan's.

Too be honest I could not stand the bass. It was incredibly boosted and why anyone would want to listen that way is beyond me. Calling a Redgum a 300b on Steroids is an insult to tube amplifiers. I also found the mid-range some what grainy. The amp did not last long in my system at all.

Compare Redgum to ME amplifiers, some may not like the sonic signature of ME but no one can argue the build quality and component selection. I only say this as Redgum is constantly criticized for component selection and fairly IMO.

• Like 1

The warranty offered says a lot about Redgum.  Their amps are built solid and they last.  However they can't be accused of looking pretty on the inside, they're a bit industrial in there.

They have a house sound, big and fast (they do like their bass) but not really punchy as such.  As to if they would be a good match with your speakers I can not say.

I'm not sure how Ian does it but I believe Redgums are proof that you can get a particular sound from a design rather than from fancy parts.  Don't go telling anyone but I actually did a little modding to one of my Redgums while I had it, changed some internal wiring and added an additional cap bank (all fully reversible of course).  I used some Aurealis 7N in place of some of the internal stuff and tripled the capacity of the cap bank, and it made not one iota of difference to anything, so I took it all out again and chalked the effort up to experience.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, kelossus said:

I had an RGI60 an older model. My thoughts echo Rantan's.

Too be honest I could not stand the bass. It was incredibly boosted and why anyone would want to listen that way is beyond me. Calling a Redgum a 300b on Steroids is an insult to tube amplifiers. I also found the mid-range some what grainy. The amp did not last long in my system at all.

Compare Redgum to ME amplifiers, some may not like the sonic signature of ME but no one can argue the build quality and component selection. I only say this as Redgum is constantly criticized for component selection and fairly IMO.

Yes, that ever so slight midrange haze.

32 minutes ago, Happy said:

In this game when the more polarising the views get the more worthwhile it is at least to try them :P

Haha Happy, I did not expect so many responses but I'm so grateful there are so many varied views and I would say from many experienced owners.

As far as I am concerned, I'm looking at buying an integrated amp to go with my Axis LS88. So I have no brand affinity other than that it can power my speakers and within my price range - which at the moment is at about $2500.

For that matter, I did think about Yamaha AS1100 and even Marantz PM8005. I have no experience with amps apart from owning Ragnarok which I use mainly for headphones listening. I have many headphones. HD800, LCD-2f, ZMF Eikon and Atticus and HD650.

Now I need to talk to @Cafad  ..... 

44 minutes ago, Cafad said:

The warranty offered says a lot about Redgum.  Their amps are built solid and they last.  However they can't be accused of looking pretty on the inside, they're a bit industrial in there.

They have a house sound, big and fast (they do like their bass) but not really punchy as such.  As to if they would be a good match with your speakers I can not say.

I'm not sure how Ian does it but I believe Redgums are proof that you can get a particular sound from a design rather than from fancy parts.  Don't go telling anyone but I actually did a little modding to one of my Redgums while I had it, changed some internal wiring and added an additional cap bank (all fully reversible of course).  I used some Aurealis 7N in place of some of the internal stuff and tripled the capacity of the cap bank, and it made not one iota of difference to anything, so I took it all out again and chalked the effort up to experience.

Hi Caf, thanks to @niss_man I get to know about your extensive amps reviews. I haven't gotten to the part about the Redgum RGi120ENR yet but my interest was aroused when I saw some of your favourable remarks about Ragnarok. 

I do like how Yggdrasil and Ragnarok make my headphones sing. I even like the way Ragnarok make my bookshelf speakers Axis LS28 sing. It handle the small speakers well... very well I would say. I haven't try Rag with my floor standers Axis LS88 yet. I will when I get the drivers back from Len Wallis.

First of all thanks for your response here. I read and digested what you said about the Redgum. It's a straight forward, honest answer. Likewise, the responses from the others. I appreciate the straight talk. That's what I want to know. That being said, I'm still none the wiser, concerning the Rgi120ENR. 

However, since you did spend some time with the Ragnarok, I want to know what you think using the Rag to drive the Axis LS88 floor standers, which are as I said, 150 watts rms per channel and 4 ohms. What speakers have you driven with the Rag?

Thanks

The Ragnarok is actually pretty impressive at doubling down on its power output as speaker impedance halves.  If I were you I'd be giving your newly returned speakers a run with your "headphone amp" first before deciding to try something else.  It could save you some time, effort and money (the SNA trifecta you might say).

If those speakers are the ones that were listed here on SNA back in 2015 then they look absolutely awesome.  One of the few sets of speakers I've seen that make Greg Osborns bubinga finish look "a bit ordinary".  If they sound half as good as they look then they are something special indeed.

Edit:

Seems we were both typing at the same time, definitely give the Rag' a try, it certainly has the power.  I only used it with my Lenehans which are a fairly benign load but they don't really get up and sing without a bit of current and the Rag certainly had that.  If you like the way it sounds on your bookshelf speakers then you have to try it on the floorstanders, if you don't then you'll have to live with not knowing and no one wants that.

Edited by Cafad

@Cafad these are the speakers. This pair is in terrible condition. http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/90111-fs-axis-audio-ls88-floor-standing-hifi-speakers/

I hear you about Ragnarok. I will indeed try it out with LS88 when I get my drivers back.

This is mine. It's pristine. That's why I wanted the drivers restored.

DSC_0021.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

@Cafad these are the speakers. This pair is in terrible condition. http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/90111-fs-axis-audio-ls88-floor-standing-hifi-speakers/

I hear you about Ragnarok. I will indeed try it out with LS88 when I get my drivers back.

This is mine. It's pristine. That's why I wanted the drivers restored.

DSC_0021.JPG

What are those bookshelves?

I had a ...60 nothing to write home about.

From what I have read about your speakers I would suggest reasearch and auditions.

Why dont you ask the designer/builder which amp he prefers?

Edited by Jventer
typos

Just now, kab said:

What are those bookshelves?

They are also Axis speakers but it's the LS28. I bought 3 of them with the pair of LS88 in 1999 for my home theatre setup but end up enjoying them as stereo pairs instead. Even with my HT receivers, they sound good. 

The Axis speakers were sold by Audio Connection at one time.