Sir Sanders Zingmore

Amazon Echo, Dot, Tap - Privacy Discussion

8 hours ago, rantan said:

Well..... yes, that was my general idea, hence why I would never, ever even think about buying or using  these devices. I am also saddened by the amount of data mining of people's lives by corporations who work largely unfettered, spying on the lives of regular people.

Your words read like there is something you can actually do to cease this trend when all you ( and I ) can do, is to make an individual choice to not buy into the culture, so let's be realistic.

Reality and personal preference are quite often just parallel lines.

I also acknowledge that other people have a vastly different view on this and they have every right to do whatever they please in their own homes or workplaces. My opinion on this is not personal in any way or judgemental to anybody here. I don't preach. I may not like it but nobody cares about that anyway.:)

I certainly feel that we are swimming against the tide, and it is difficult to see how much we can do as individuals. What does mystify me though is how the term 'privacy' has almost become a dirty word. Many people seem to dismiss it out of hand, and I do find that attitude rather hard to understand.

A serious concern about the amount of data mining that is going is how it might be used be used by corporations or other entities as a means of control. One obvious example of that is China's social credit system, which uses surveillance and data gathered about individuals as a tool for social engineering, the aim of which is to encourage (coerce?) individuals into behaviour that the government deems to be acceptable to it by applying rewards, and by applying social penalties to what it considers to be unacceptable behaviour. We would be naive to think that such a system, or at least elements of it, would not be happening here.

And I will stress that all this is just my opinion.

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

I don't agree, sorry Lindz. When there are set ups now where you cut the internet or telly to get your family to come to the table for dinner, to me that proves the main key to control is through a screen.

And no one knows this more than the media.

Very true Daz. I agree 100%  but consider this.

How do those media outlets target their advertising?

The answer is of course that they are provided with data collected by all manner of means, these home devices ,smart phones etc. Once the information is purchased by a media outlet from these data miners they can then target audiences of particular demographics which tells them not only what programs  to show and at what time and the corresponding product aimed at that demographic.

If we take Google as a prime example, they have made hundreds of billions but producing................nothing . The obtain information without consent and make obscene amounts of money selling that information. it is not a matter of "well I have nothing to hide",  most of us don't,  but they are not seeking criminals or scams. They are aiming to create  cradle-to-grave life profiles, which we apparently just accept as normal so they make money from your life, without your consent.

Dunno about you but that isn't my world or my reality.

It digs far deeper into the collective psyche and learns one's habits and preferences far than many people realise.

Edited by rantan

13 hours ago, rantan said:

Very true Daz. I agree 100%  but consider this.

How do those media outlets target their advertising?

The answer is of course that they are provided with data collected by all manner of means, these home devices ,smart phones etc. Once the information is purchased by a media outlet from these data miners they can then target audiences of particular demographics which tells them not only what programs  to show and at what time and the corresponding product aimed at that demographic.

If we take Google as a prime example, they have made hundreds of billions but producing................nothing . The obtain information without consent and make obscene amounts of money selling that information. it is not a matter of "well I have nothing to hide",  most of us don't,  but they are not seeking criminals or scams. They are aiming to create  cradle-to-grave life profiles, which we apparently just accept as normal so they make money from your life, without your consent.

Dunno about you but that isn't my world or my reality.

It digs far deeper into the collective psyche and learns one's habits and preferences far than many people realise.

We should be able to charge them for their use of the information that they gather about us. Google royalties perhaps?