Sign in to follow this  
mondie

Mondie's speaker endgame: Lenard Symphony 4-way active, high efficiency horn system development

9 hours ago, sandrews888 said:

@Loswhich 8 inch driver are you using and would this driver sound better in the sarabandes as well?

Which tweeter is being used? I know now there is a new ribbon tweeter compared to the old dome one. 

The 8" drivers are OEM.  It would make no difference in the Sarabande. Without the 12" bass drivers the Sonata simply needs higher power to the 8" driver to keep an even energy response at LF.  So it has a stiffer cone and a larger/longer voice coil. The ribbons used in this sample run are Fountek.

Paul & John are closing in on completion of the first early production pair of Symphonies 18mths after we kicked this project off. Time has certainly got away from us due to several factors, the most significant being the time taken to finalise design decisions and then try and find suppliers who can meet the required engineering and quality expectations. This is not an insubstantial problem in Oz where traditional trade skills are now a scarce commodity! The good news is that the extra time has allowed additional experimental testing to fully resolve all aspects of the design where a small gain may have been possible.  

I am back in Oz for ten days and with Pauls blessing would like to make an open offer to any SNA members who may be interested in hearing just what an active hybrid 4-way horn system is truly capable of. If you are curious the date is Sunday, June 2 @ 1pm. Paul lives near Maffra in East Gippsland. Please PM for further details. You will have all of your biases and perceived notions of music reproduction challenged 😲 It is not long now until my pair will finally be on the water to the UK. I cannot wait!

I hope this date suits you, Michael?

Here's a pic of an early production ready pair dummied up with drivers fitted to show the final look. There has been much discussion over the horn colour, should it remain black and stealthy or would it look better painted, perhaps in a deep gunmetal gray or very dark metallic green?

Interested to hear others comments and suggestions, nailing the aesthetics has been quite a challenge.

48034857242_29057e264e_b.jpgIMG-20190606-WA0008 by Simon Gee, on Flickr

I would think something unique. A colour that could become linked to the brand , like Shindo or Gulf Racing have.

Or conversely the colour of the horn is different on different  models or newer generations.

Magnificent work, it is always harder than you expect!

I was expecting something bigger! Maybe match the Horn colour with your wife's curtains....👍

Stump

3 hours ago, andythiing said:

Ferrari red 

You good on Photoshop Andy? 😁 I just cant decide if a bold colour will work or look totally out of place

Awesome thanks very much Rocky, they look like chrome finishes? Definitley gives a good guide as to how they may look, i like both of them.

Always like horns as a feature - getting it so it doesn’t look tacky is the hard bit - in reality I presume you can take a chance - can’t be too expensive to get them recoated if first choice simply does not work or your taste changes over time?

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, mondie said:

Awesome thanks very much Rocky, they look like chrome finishes? Definitley gives a good guide as to how they may look, i like both of them.

No worries but only have very limited range of "photoshoping" . It is from the original pic that mine came out metallic like.

I am sure others can give a more realistic paint colours. Last one, dark type green. Looks like an awesome speaker.

48034857242_1c389489e1_ob.jpg

Edited by rocky500

I am in two, maybe three minds about this.

Speakers historically mostly have been wood finish or black. There are lots of colours available, e.g. Foca and Linn to name a couple.

TV's and HiFi equipment historically have been mostly black and silver, sometimes gold and sometimes white.

Whilst most of my stuff are black and silver, I have spent a considerable amount thinking about this.

My current thought is that it should be whatever the owner wants it to be. 

When you spend this amount of $ on a speaker I think the colour should be custom. This can be made custom, be painted custom or be vinyl wrapped custom. (By the way the latter is my current favourite. as it can be changed in future.)

55 minutes ago, Jventer said:

I am in two, maybe three minds about this.

Speakers historically mostly have been wood finish or black. There are lots of colours available, e.g. Foca and Linn to name a couple.

TV's and HiFi equipment historically have been mostly black and silver, sometimes gold and sometimes white.

Whilst most of my stuff are black and silver, I have spent a considerable amount thinking about this.

My current thought is that it should be whatever the owner wants it to be. 

When you spend this amount of $ on a speaker I think the colour should be custom. This can be made custom, be painted custom or be vinyl wrapped custom. (By the way the latter is my current favourite. as it can be changed in future.)

Vinyl!  Nah - we should be talking Italian leather!

Whilst talking aesthetics, B&W (amongst others) have gone for that “signature” look around the top tweeter - tapered shapes to look like teardrops and the like.  I am not sure whether such shapes are purely visual, or whether they do indeed have an effect on tweeter sound.  

Either way, if considering custom finishes on the horns (so much you can do there.  Don’t forget “mirror” plastic finishes, carbon fibre, even printed patterns.  Anything is possible for a price!), perhaps designing a fancy surround for the top tweeter and the finish can match the horn?

love following the project!

Mat