I must admit I'm finding the whole Pi streamer experience a bit less enjoyable than before. Now I've moved to a subsonic/airsonic server arrangement I try and stream to the moode via UPNP and frankly it's very hit and miss with constant dropouts. I suspect the issue may be my network, or the protocol, or something else. 

Your dupes issue is curious ...can't really explain that one! Depending on how customised your installation is, I often just reinstall a fresh image when I have trouble. 

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is a few members moving across to MoOde as the software choice for Pi serve control. It has an excellent GUI, similar in some ways to  Volumio but far better and much even better sounding. It is

Just a heads up. 4.3 is out.  And its a complete image file.

Moode 6.4.1 details are posted on the Moode forum.  http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=2077   They certainly work hard on it.

OK I have made some progress, even though it was sort of two steps forward and one step back.. I checked out the MoOde Audio forum, and got some hints there, and also on the Synology NAS forum. This is what my day has been like, and as I posted on the MoOde forum:

I have sorted out my problem. I think...
When I updated my music on my NAS (Synology DS218J) the other day, I renamed one of the folders in my shared music folder from Flac to FLAC, to make things easier when copying files from my USB HDD to the NAS. It appears that was when I started having the doubled track listings.

What I found, when I tried to stream music from my NAS to my Yamaha RX-V1071, was that when I selected to browse by Folders, I could see both Flac and FLAC folders listed, even though only the FLAC folder was visible using a file browser on my Linux laptop, and Synology File App. It seems to have been caused by renaming the folder via a file browser on the laptop, instead of using the Synology Web Interface.

I moved my 3 music folders (FLAC, MP3 and Comedy) from the shared music folder on the NAS to the photos folder on the NAS temporarily, and then deleted the MoOde Library Tag Cache, Updated the MPD database and Re-Booted MoOde (which cleared my library). Then I moved the 3 music folders back to the NAS Shared music folder, and re-generated the MPD database.

MoOde is now only showing each track listed singly, as it should, and only populates the play list with one instance of each track. The Yamaha receiver is still showing the "ghost" folder, unfortunately.

So the fault is in the way "Ghost" folders are persistent on the NAS. I am currently trying to resolve this. One suggestion on the Synology forum was to re-create the "Ghost" folders on the NAS using the web interface file app, then delete them, again using the web interface app. I have done this, but the NAS is currently re-indexing the media files, so I can't tell if this worked until re-indexing is finished.

I'll report back tomorrow and let you know how it pans out.

There is probably an easier way to do it, but this is what I did after trying a few different approaches.

Edited by bob_m_54
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, bob_m_54 said:

...Flac to FLAC...

A bit weird, but Linux/UNIX would see that as two different directories, but you renamed, not created or copied.

You'd have to think that Moode had its database of the music under /Flac that it was working from, then when you renamed the directory, it leapt into action and created a new (or updated the existing) database of the music collection under /FLAC, hence the double entries.

Under Volumio, you can force a rescan of storage locations to create a fresh database and artwork cache. I suspect Moode would have something similar.

OK, update on my weird "Ghost Folder" NAS problem. This morning, after the media file re-indexing on the NAS, everything is back to normal again.

It appears that MoOde was happy with just the MoOde MPD database flush, by updating to an empty NAS Shared Folder, then re-generating the database again, once the NAS Shared Folder was repopulated. But The Yamaha RX-V wasn't happy till after the NAS had finished re-indexing the media files in it's shared folders.

I think that because the NAS folders were changed via a file browser on a laptop, instead of via the NAS's web interface file app, media directories and files weren't re-indexed, causing the ghost folder to still be visible on the Yammy RX-V. I don't know for sure, but now after re-indexing, only the real folders are visible.

What I forgot to check was whether the ghost folder showed up in MoOde, under the Sources window.

29 minutes ago, pwstereo said:

A bit weird, but Linux/UNIX would see that as two different directories, but you renamed, not created or copied.

You'd have to think that Moode had its database of the music under /Flac that it was working from, then when you renamed the directory, it leapt into action and created a new (or updated the existing) database of the music collection under /FLAC, hence the double entries.

Under Volumio, you can force a rescan of storage locations to create a fresh database and artwork cache. I suspect Moode would have something similar.

Yes MoOde has a MPD database Update, and a Re-Gen function. The update only scans for changed files, the Re-Gen is supposed to completely re-generate a new database. But neither of these worked while there was a copy of the music files in the NAS Shared Music folder, even thought the folder name was changed. As above, it wasn't till I re-generated to an empty folder, that the database appeared to be flushed, and it was able to regenerate a proper new database. Sounds weird I know, but that's basically the way it worked.

Also, when browsing through a file browser on a Linux laptop, or browsing using the web interface file app on the NAS, only one folder was visible on the NAS, and that was the renamed folder. The original "FLAC" folder wasn't there. That's why I think re-indexing was the key.

On 07/09/2020 at 11:34 AM, bob_m_54 said:

Recently I've been having a problem with MoOde Player. All my Flac albums list tracks twice, but it doesn't happen with MP3 albums. I haven't used it for a few weeks, so the other day I switched it on, and updated it. Then, because I had added a lot more music, I deleted the library tag cache, Re-generated the database, and the album art cache, and rebooted it.

That's when I noticed the problem. Even when selecting a Flac album to play, it adds all the tracks twice. Has anyone else noticed this happening?

1921454846_tagviewflac.thumb.jpg.e3bab77b43e7df7be14a9a9cc199e187.jpg

46158913_albumview.thumb.jpg.70e484d6426407365fdad10b1b58515e.jpg

1122901777_playerView.thumb.jpg.4277986f5903fcbef57dcd0eb15fe5a6.jpg

Happy you sorted it out. It happened to me when I had a copy of Mp3s for my portable player and the FLACs under the same directory tree. It took a while to sort out and regenerate. Now I have an ultra-separate folder for MP3s.

Cheers,

Alberto

I have MP3s and Flacs in the shared folder of my NAS in separate folders, but only one copy of each album, either MP3 or Flac, on that NAS.

So I have NAS/Music/MP3 (or Flac)/A, B, C, etc/Artist (under the appropriate alpha)/year-album/track #-title.mp3 (or.flac)

I do have an MP3 copy of all albums on another NAS too, but that's just for loading onto flash drives for the car or whatever.

• 3 months later...

3 hours ago, bob_m_54 said:

moOde V7.0.0 is now out. Some info about features here:

moOde V7.0.0

I haven't upgraded yet, but it looks good

Cool, I might check it out. I've actually moved to picore player and really liking it. Ui is a bit crap but other benefits. 

4 hours ago, bob_m_54 said:

moOde V7.0.0 is now out. Some info about features here:

moOde V7.0.0

I haven't upgraded yet, but it looks good.

Xmas break is probably a good time to try it out. I'm still on version 3 or so I believe? I mean, it works, why change it?

Cheers,

Alberto

34 minutes ago, betocool said:

Xmas break is probably a good time to try it out. I'm still on version 3 or so I believe? I mean, it works, why change it?

Cheers,

Alberto

My take on this it's good to have the latest software from a security or vulnerability point of view. There's always patches for stuff... 

21 hours ago, betocool said:

Cheers,

Alberto

There will be many major advances since V3

I really only use it to stream Spotify and MPD from my NAS, that's all, using a USB Gieseler DAC, and none of the other fancy things. That's why I never upgraded. But you guys are right, an update might be a good idea after all.

Cheers,

Alberto

• Like 1

Hi all,

I have a RPI4, outputting via USB to my RME ADI2 DAC FS. Sounds excellent IMHO. 

I sold a $2k streamer in favour of this setup. 

My Pi uses a passive heat cooling case, which keeps it about 40-42 degrees, while streaming.

Costs about $25 from core electronics. 

I power my PI using an ifi power X supply. IMO it was a noticeable improvement, V's the standard RPI4 supply. 

https://ifi-audio.com/products/ipowerx/

I wont use clichés. ;) 

I hope to try next: 

A lipo4 setup like: 

https://core-electronics.com.au/pijuice-hat.html (Cheaper version: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32786176030.html?src=google&albch=shopping&acnt=494-037-6276&isdl=y&slnk=&plac=&mtctp=&albbt=Google_7_shopping&aff_platform=google&aff_short_key=UneMJZVf&&albagn=888888&albcp=11482541945&albag=112620152352&trgt=990886274102&crea=en32786176030&netw=u&device=c&albpg=990886274102&albpd=en32786176030&gclid=Cj0KCQiAoab_BRCxARIsANMx4S6ZIVcscRCwdCsHXobD4XyYloUhDC1frR3EP6Fr-UnBTMxbqDHkixMaAnSQEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

or 

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/raspberry-pi-and-other-sbc-accessories/ian-canada-conditionerpi-ultra-capacitor-conditioner-board-for-raspberry-pi-p-14596.html so I can keep my ifi power X. 

I haven't tried Moode yet, as I use Roon, with Ropieee XL, which also provided Upnp, and Spotify connect functionality. 

I'm curious, how do users with Moode listen to Tidal, and control song, playlist selection etc? 

Many thanks 

IMG_8675.jpg

Edited by Grizaudio

I updated mo0de to v7 as well. All went smoothly. I still have to get used to the new interface, because it took me a while to find where my music from the NAS was. Once found, it was all good.

I need to figure out a way to add more radios, maybe, not high on my priority list. But the best, the Spotify renderer just bloody works out of the box! I use a client from my PC (yes, I'm THAT old) and it detects the "moode player" or whatever it's called. Then it blocks all other streams (MPD and what have you), and it plays gapless! That is awesome! A big improvement from all other versions.

Running on an RPi3 wit the Klein DAC, it sounds excellent.

Cheers,

Alberto

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, betocool said:

I need to figure out a way to add more radios

Use the plus sign, top left of the radio library page, and just fill out the form.

12 minutes ago, betocool said:

Running on an RPi3 wit the Klein DAC, it sounds excellent.

Me too.  I use my rPi 4 for more computing intensive things.  rPi 3 and Topping D10, humble but sounding great.

On 28/12/2020 at 7:38 PM, Grizaudio said:

I'm curious, how do users with Moode listen to Tidal, and control song, playlist selection etc? 

Bubbleupnp (or other similar apps) on my phone.  Login to Tidal using bubbleupnp, and set moOde as the output renderer device

On 28/12/2020 at 5:38 PM, Grizaudio said:

I have a RPI4, outputting via USB to my RME ADI2 DAC FS. Sounds excellent IMHO. 

I sold a $2k streamer in favour of this setup. 

I am not surprised because a lot of streamers actually only use an RPI3 or an Asus tinker board. I know someone who feeds his  Pi to a Denafrips Iris and feeds to his DAC and he claims it is better than a lot of big name transports. 

Just now, BrownMagic said:

I am not surprised because a lot of streamers actually only use an RPI3 or an Asus tinker board. I know someone who feeds his  Pi to a Denafrips Iris and feeds to his DAC and he claims it is better than a lot of big name transports. 

This game is completely subjective, so many views.

Just to clarify, the Pioneer runs a customised streamer.... 

It was/is a really great sounding streamer, but it lacked the leading edge detail I get from my RPI4 > RME ADI2 dac fs. 

The Pioneer also lacked DSD capability, via PCM/Spdif to my RME adi dac 2. 

27 minutes ago, BrownMagic said:

@Grizaudio and the fact that the digital game is changing every 3 months, its a better idea imho to stick to a pi based solution 🙂

I was convinced when I observed bigger names putting Pi clones inside their streamers.  (Consonance)

• Haha 1
On 31/12/2020 at 1:14 PM, aussievintage said:

Bubbleupnp (or other similar apps) on my phone.  Login to Tidal using bubbleupnp, and set moOde as the output renderer device

I thought so.

I didn't enjoy the Upnp experience, and most of my listening is via Tidal.

I have about 25000 albums stored locally, but I find Tidal offers more convenience..... 

This is the primary reason I went with Roon.

It offers great Local, and Tidal integration and a very good GUI.

If Moode offered Tidal connect I would have second thoughts, assuming the first unfold is still handled by the tidal software.