wow @mwhouston! Are you running a HAT or a USB dac out of interest? To my great shame I'm using a pifi 2.0 Chinese clone. I had thought it sounded rather good and was reassured by the quality of the PCM5122 chip but have just read some more objective tests over at audiosciencereview and it's actually not that great, perhaps because it doesn't have an external clock... much of the audio science goes over my head to be honest. I'm not even sure where one would find DSD source material - intrigued that you're playing DSD128 and higher!

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is a few members moving across to MoOde as the software choice for Pi serve control. It has an excellent GUI, similar in some ways to  Volumio but far better and much even better sounding. It is

Just a heads up. 4.3 is out.  And its a complete image file.

Moode 6.4.1 details are posted on the Moode forum.  http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=2077   They certainly work hard on it.

59 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

I am using DoP to do that. AK4497 DAC chip with Xmos for USB.

From a Sony 700, $250 4K player, with the same DAC via COAX I can play DSD256 DoP. 

Right, I'm off to google all that because I'm a bit out of my depth here I think! ;) lol I am considering my first USB DAC actually - the SMSL M300 which I notice uses the same AK4497 DAC chip. 

• 1 month later...

I recently upgraded to a Pi 4 4GB and the genuine PS. The PS uses  USB3 connection so your old one won’t work. 

The processor runs almost too hot to touch. Drilling out the Pi4 enclosure will help. Also I’m going to add a tiny stick on HS. This one is from Jaycar.  Now running Pi4 and Mo0de 6.3. Perfect. 

DAE186A4-F501-4BA4-83E9-9DE440C8819E.jpeg

B317DDED-985F-4C3B-ACEC-6A3465C09164.jpeg

6B1963BF-808F-4C4C-AC51-A571D5A34883.jpeg

• Like 2

Just ordered the Pi 4 4GB to replace my PI 3 and an Audiophonics Sabre 9038 DAC Hat to replace my 9028. Downloaded Moode 6.4 and looking forward to putting the whole shebang together.

@betocool does the fan shim fit under the dac hat?

RPi.jpg

Edited by PicoWattson
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, PicoWattson said:

Just ordered the Pi 4 4GB to replace my PI 3 and an Audiophonics Sabre 9038 DAC Hat to replace my 9028. Downloaded Moode 6.4 and looking forward to putting the whole shebang together.

Remember you will need a different PS.

5 minutes ago, PicoWattson said:

@mwhouston How does the PS differ?

It’s not the Samsung style USB charger connection of old. I think it’s USB3 charger style. Jaycar sell the genuine Pi charger online not in store. Order online to be delivered. It’s $6 cheaper than element 14. 

33 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Moode 6.4.1 details are posted on the Moode forum.  http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=2077

They certainly work hard on it.

Tim and co were super patient and helpful when I was setting mine up. I had got Volumio and Rune running fine but I preferred the Moode interface and I couldn’t get the damn thing to run properly. Turned out to be a network issue but they gave me a lot of time and advice to get me up and running 

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

It’s not the Samsung style USB charger connection of old. I think it’s USB3 charger style. Jaycar sell the genuine Pi charger online not in store. Order online to be delivered. It’s $6 cheaper than element 14. 

23 minutes ago, PicoWattson said:

@mwhouston How does the PS differ?

It’s a USB C connector. If you are sticking with your current ps you can just ad a $1.25 adaptor from eBay (which they stock at jaycar for $8, bless their cotton socks)

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F142558947344

That’s right USBC. I read it once and promptly stuffed it up.

BUT the genuine Pi one is high current, which is required, and quite smart. But whatever you are comfortable with. 

4 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

That’s right USBC. I read it once and promptly stuffed it up.

BUT the genuine Pi one is high current, which is required, and quite smart. But whatever you are comfortable with. 

There is also a slight issue that the Pi detects certain 3rd party chargers as a different device and won't charge from them.  This is apparently going to be fixed in a later firmware release.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

There is also a slight issue that the Pi detects certain 3rd party chargers as a different device and won't charge from them.  This is apparently going to be fixed in a later firmware release.

Haven’t heard this but then I’m only new to the “4”.

On 13/01/2020 at 8:12 PM, PicoWattson said:

RPi.jpg

It may... I have nothing on top of it, but it's about 10 or so mm on top of the processor. I see the hat as long connectors, I reckon you will be ok.

Here's how mine looks (the Pi!)

IMG_20200114_211323.thumb.jpg.c0f12e67ab36f566b732536c911fd558.jpg

Cheers,

Alberto

• Like 1

Thanks, looks like it may fit and I'll give it a try. I also note the Pi4 needs a 3A PS rather than the 2.5 required for the 3. I have ordered one from ebay for $8 including the switched USB-C cable.

Edited by PicoWattson
6 minutes ago, PicoWattson said:

Thanks, looks like it may fit and I'll give it a try. I also note the Pi4 needs a 3A PS rather than the 2.5 required for the 3. I have ordered one from ebay for $8 including the switched USB3 cable.

I have to assume that all that current is needed, only if you are powering all the USB ports, and maybe also supplying a hat.    I suspect a Pi on it's own will draw a lot less than 3A  

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks all for helpful advice have been trying for a couple years to get a stable streaming setup for Raspberry. Persistent with Voliumo for some time but constant dropouts and difficult configured. Mood is simple to install, good interface and most important stable!!

• Like 1

@mpearce38 Welcome to the The Clan Of The Cave Gear bruddah. Two years is some penance in the pursuit of audio satience.

If only we'd  known your anguish we could have sent M Houston, for a small donation to SNA, to ease your  pain and molify your decision to embrace mOode and join the brethren of the enlightened.🥂

On 15/02/2020 at 11:41 PM, PicoWattson said:

@mpearce38 Welcome to the The Clan Of The Cave Gear bruddah. Two years is some penance in the pursuit of audio satience.

If only we'd  known your anguish we could have sent M Houston, for a small donation to SNA, to ease your  pain and molify your decision to embrace mOode and join the brethren of the enlightened.🥂

Even he took a little convincing at first though....

On 27/08/2017 at 8:59 PM, mwhouston said:

I'm about to purchase MoOde for $10. Is it really worth it. Better than Rune and Volumio???

Edited by bob_m_54
  • 1 month later...

Have been using Volumio and thought I'd give MoOde another try, had it way back when it was more of an "enthusiasts" software and difficult for a pleb like me to get working.

I've been downloading 6.4.2 for the past hour and a half and it's still showing 6+ hours to go even though my internet speed shows 20/5.

Is this normal? it's only 1.4gig file and looks like I'll have to download overnight.

29 minutes ago, turnthetable said:

Have been using Volumio and thought I'd give MoOde another try, had it way back when it was more of an "enthusiasts" software and difficult for a pleb like me to get working.

I've been downloading 6.4.2 for the past hour and a half and it's still showing 6+ hours to go even though my internet speed shows 20/5.

Is this normal? it's only 1.4gig file and looks like I'll have to download overnight.

I think my download a couple of weeks ago only took about 15-20 mins on a 50mbps connection. 

maybe stop and restart it?

Edited by RankStranger
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, RankStranger said:

only took about 15-20 mins on a 50mbps connection. 

Yeah stopped and tried again but still showing 6 hours (50 kB/sec download speed)

Maybe me, maybe them.

I'll just let it run overnight

Thanks for the reply

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 29/11/2019 at 12:36 PM, Rrobot said:

wow @mwhouston! Are you running a HAT or a USB dac out of interest? To my great shame I'm using a pifi 2.0 Chinese clone. I had thought it sounded rather good and was reassured by the quality of the PCM5122 chip but have just read some more objective tests over at audiosciencereview and it's actually not that great, perhaps because it doesn't have an external clock... much of the audio science goes over my head to be honest. I'm not even sure where one would find DSD source material - intrigued that you're playing DSD128 and higher!

So, @Rrobot, no shame in using a pifi so don't worry about that. But, if you're like me, what's the next HAT you're thinking about? or even an external DAC? I'm trying for ye olde 'hifiberry dac+ pro' but if that doesn't work out, i'd very much consider a Topping E30, if I were more reassured about the build quality of SMSL sanskrit MK II, I wouldn't mind it either. Anyhow, what are *you* going to do?

1 hour ago, herehear! said:

So, @Rrobot, no shame in using a pifi so don't worry about that. But, if you're like me, what's the next HAT you're thinking about? or even an external DAC? I'm trying for ye olde 'hifiberry dac+ pro' but if that doesn't work out, i'd very much consider a Topping E30, if I were more reassured about the build quality of SMSL sanskrit MK II, I wouldn't mind it either. Anyhow, what are *you* going to do?

funny you mention the sanskrit 10th Mk II...I have one of those now! It's actually great, although android (mi box 3) doesn't seem to play perfectly with it...at least volume control wise - get a few glitches when raising and lowering volume level. Pretty flawless with moode however and it looks very well built.  

As for the Pi Fi 2.0 i actually went and did all the mods recommended - sent myself crosseyed trying to solder SMDs but it all worked out and now i have the reassurance that it's as good as it can be without the apparent flaws of some bad design. Can I hear the difference? Not sure I can to be honest. lol

Hi All, 

With Google Music discontinued, I've decided to go the pi server route. It's all a wonderful new world to explore and learn, however I'm keen to get some shortcuts from you wise chaps. 

I'd like to set up a pi4 at my work desk. With a DAC, remote, and maybe a touchscreen. 

Any circuit boards/HATs/cases that would be recommended here? 

1 hour ago, MTsoul said:

Hi All, 

With Google Music discontinued, I've decided to go the pi server route. It's all a wonderful new world to explore and learn, however I'm keen to get some shortcuts from you wise chaps. 

I'd like to set up a pi4 at my work desk. With a DAC, remote, and maybe a touchscreen. 

You know what, depending if you're willing to give type d amplification a go and don't mind experimenting... I'd maybe give this a whirl... 🙂

https://a.aliexpress.com/_dSvYPF6

There's a few suptronics offerings:

http://www.suptronics.com/AV_Products.html

I know it doesn't tick the remote or the screen boxes but if you're at the pc anyway... Is it needed? 

Edited by Rrobot
10 hours ago, MTsoul said:

I am using SmartiPi Touch case + back cover + official touchscreen. I cut out a portion of the cover to provide airflow and access to HAT connectors if needed. The cover provides extra protection for any possible HATs.

I prefer an external USB DACs, but SmartiPi bigger cover can fit a lot of HAT height. A smaller cover can still fit  HATs or no cover could be used.

Edited by gwurb
  • Like 1
18 minutes ago, MTsoul said:

Cheers, some nice kits in there to play with! 

Hard to know what the quality of circuit implementation is or how they would measure objectively, but the chipsets are the well known chifi standards you see in little smsl, topping, breeze audio amps, dacs and the like. I had the x400 in my kitchen on the fridge  connected to a couple of little bookshelf speakers and it sounded  decent enough. Audiophile? Perhaps not. All in one package, with one power brick is an advantage to me tho. 🙂

One thing I've never cracked is Bluetooth on moode or volumio. Always seems to crash. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Rrobot
29 minutes ago, Rrobot said:

One thing I've never cracked is Bluetooth on moode or volumio. Always seems to crash.

I bought a USB Bluetooth dongle. I found too many dropouts with the Raspberry Pi Bluetooth.

Something like

https://www.amazon.com.au/Plugable-Bluetooth-Adapter-Raspberry-Compatible/dp/B009ZIILLI/ref=sr_1_18?dchild=1&keywords=Bluetooth+Adapter+USB&qid=1594462729&s=computers&sr=1-18

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Recently I've been having a problem with MoOde Player. All my Flac albums list tracks twice, but it doesn't happen with MP3 albums. I haven't used it for a few weeks, so the other day I switched it on, and updated it. Then, because I had added a lot more music, I deleted the library tag cache, Re-generated the database, and the album art cache, and rebooted it.

That's when I noticed the problem. Even when selecting a Flac album to play, it adds all the tracks twice. Has anyone else noticed this happening?

1921454846_tagviewflac.thumb.jpg.e3bab77b43e7df7be14a9a9cc199e187.jpg

46158913_albumview.thumb.jpg.70e484d6426407365fdad10b1b58515e.jpg

1122901777_playerView.thumb.jpg.4277986f5903fcbef57dcd0eb15fe5a6.jpg

Edited by bob_m_54
pics
45 minutes ago, bob_m_54 said:

Recently I've been having a problem with MoOde Player. All my Flac albums list tracks twice, but it doesn't happen with MP3 albums. I haven't used it for a few weeks, so the other day I switched it on, and updated it. Then, because I had added a lot more music, I deleted the library tag cache, Re-generated the database, and the album art cache, and rebooted it.

That's when I noticed the problem. Even when selecting a Flac album to play, it adds all the tracks twice. Has anyone else noticed this happening?

1921454846_tagviewflac.thumb.jpg.e3bab77b43e7df7be14a9a9cc199e187.jpg

46158913_albumview.thumb.jpg.70e484d6426407365fdad10b1b58515e.jpg

1122901777_playerView.thumb.jpg.4277986f5903fcbef57dcd0eb15fe5a6.jpg

Not that specifically, but recently found library management a bit crap. Like not handling various artists albums properly, picking up only part of an album. Assumed id stuffed something up? 

2 hours ago, Rrobot said:

Not that specifically, but recently found library management a bit crap. Like not handling various artists albums properly, picking up only part of an album. Assumed id stuffed something up? 

Yeah, I have never had a lot of success listing compilation albums, but I get around it by having all compilation albums with album artist listed as "Various Artists", then just select that in the artists list.

This other fault is bugging me though, and it didn't used to operate this way. It's only since I recently updated the software.

• Like 1