Pi music server and MoOde

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've heard a rumour that Moode 4.4 is coming out with an updated MPD. Hope I have that right. Lets hope it's an image. 

Ive been on the latest build for a few weeks. Most is good. The volume control works now. But if I select a track form file explorers view I don't get some of the file Info - artist and album. Hope they fix this. 

9 hours ago, betocool said:

So, in layman's terms.... what's the significant upgrade between 3.x and 4.x? I've been running the same 3.something for a long time and am very happy with it.

Cheers,

Alberto

I would say it is more about presentation of files, files being played and presentation of radio stations is particularly nice. Is there an improvement in sound, I would say yes. With 4.3 being a downloadable image there is no technical reason not to upgrade. If you go to 4.3, from within Moode, you can upgrade the build but you must be on 4.3.  I would suggest you keep your sim with the current image and cut a new one. That way if there is something you don't like just replace the new sim. I don't think you will though.

Moode appears to work smoother and there are more "tuneable" selection for your DAC and other devices. I haven't tried it but I think you can now blue tooth files to the Pi for streaming. 

I would recommend the upgrade, for me it's only about 20mins of work and the last two upgrades I have done worked flawlessly. 

Edited by mwhouston

1 hour ago, bob_m_54 said:

Also, you can select to list Artist, by Album Artist, which I thought was a very good feature.... :)

I don't  care about this info. but ill say you can. It may not be to the degree you think it should be but i think it is deep enough. 

Haha, it's been one of my pet issues with it, and other Pi software, as you have probably guessed. It does make a big difference when you have around 3800 albums, with a great many compilations in there as well though.

I just wish the same could be said for Yamaha Network enabled AV Receivers as well.

Though I have been on Moode 4.XX for a while (and on the latest build) I had never tried the Blue tooth conectivity. Today I gave it a go between my iPad II and a Pi 3B+ with an Audiophonics ESS9028 DAC HAT.

It took a few goes but only over 10mins and I had it going. Not only that once setup it's about two menu clicks to reconnect. I would never consider blue tooth a hi-Rez media connection but for convenience it is a killer.

I ran iTunes from the pad where I brought some files down from the iTunes cloud and it all sounded excellent and real easy to use. And as I said once setup its a few menu selection to revert back to it. Well worth the setup and giving it a go.

• 5 weeks later...

• 4 months later...

MoOde 5 is out and ready for download as an image file. A mate has been using it a little more than me and thinks it stable. I’ve had about 2 hours listenIng on my portable Pi and so far so good. Yes a little different again.

Also there is a new beta MPD you can try. I haven’t. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mwhouston said:

MoOde 5 is out and ready for download as an image file. A mate has been using it a little more than me and thinks it stable. I’ve had about 2 hours listenIng on my portable Pi and so far so good. Yes a little different again.

Also there is a new beta MPD you can try. I haven’t. 

I'm still using 3.81 - 3.84 for the voicing of my setups.  :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mwhouston said:

It’s definitely worth the effort of upgrading. Took about 20mins in total. 

Cheers mwhouston,

Does the UI work well with mobile devices ?

In my work area i'm using a PC.. no issue with the layout.  But in my main rig (and using a phone) i found 4.3 to be a bit tricky to use.

Moode 5.1 is out. You must upgrade to Moode 5 then through System Check for new software. Moode will download and install 5.1. Reboot and re-configure. The whole procedure is very smooth and fast.

I never upgrade to a new major version until the X.1 is out. I did install 5.0 on my portable system but now have brought both my main and portable Pi’s to 5.1. Worth the effort. 

Also at each major upgrade I make a small donation. I’d like to see Moode continue to improve and I hope this ensures that. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just a warning. I’m back on 4.4 because I was getting clicks when music was playing. Higher the rez more of the clicks. But others with the same DAC as me are having no problems. 

Ill wait for 5.2.

Edited by mwhouston

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...