Which receiver to buy - Arcam v Anthem

i would say go for it too. those B&Ws are thirsty and especially given dont plan on external power amps and plan to keep this a long time. the cost difference over all those years be all forgotten. rather wondering if should have. on other hand if there is still doubt wait up for the shoot out to help decide :)

4 hours ago, Chris Disbrey said:

The 550 is an class a/b design however the 850 uses fancy overpriced glass g amps.  It's supposed to be a big deal but I haven't heard it so can't speak from experience.

I'm in the process of acquiring an Arcam FMJ A49, their top of the line integrated amplifier, that operates in Class G and I can tell you for sure and certain that if the 850 is anything like it then you had best start working out how to accommodate one in your system and your marriage.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chris Disbrey said:

Thanks Marc, good input.  The price gap is a little smaller atm with the current deal.  

550 - $4500 (normally $6000)

850 - $7100 (normally $9500?!?!!?)

Definitely thinking about it

yeh $7100 is starting to talk crazy money for an AVR in my mind and I'm an Arcam Tragic!

Well holy cow I just bought the 850.  Did an a/b/a/b/a shootout with the 550 and each time it came back to the 850 I was reblown away.  After hearing it I couldn't leave there without it.

It was a stark contrast.  Every aspect of the sound improved.  More detail, more presence, more control, yet incredibly effortless.

Can't wait to set it all up and listen to every CD and watch every Blu-ray that I have all over again

• Like 1
  • Love 1

It's all just numbers on a screen somewhere.  

It truly sounded (to me) as good as a high end dedicated 2 channel system.  Really impressed me.  I didn't think any receivers could sound that good.  Can't wait to play with it.  Left it at the store today for pick up tomorrow as I was heading out for the evening and didn't want to leave it in the car.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chris Disbrey said:

Well holy cow I just bought the 850.  Did an a/b/a/b/a shootout with the 550 and each time it came back to the 850 I was reblown away.  After hearing it I couldn't leave there without it.

It was a stark contrast.  Every aspect of the sound improved.  More detail, more presence, more control, yet incredibly effortless.

Can't wait to set it all up and listen to every CD and watch every Blu-ray that I have all over again

I am inordinately pleased that you heard just how good the Arcam 850 is. You will notice that I have refrained from saying, "I told you so". The Class G as implemented by Arcam is phenomenal.

Well done.

Edited by JukKluk2
spelling error

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

I've ultimately decided to sell the AVR550 which hasn't even played 1 movie yet, it's been plugged in and 'Dirac'd', still with box and all accessories etc.

Decided to upgrade after all. PM me if you are in the market for a new 550.