Installing IEC socket in Thorens.. which wires are live and neutral?

Hi guys, pretty much the title. I'm going to install an IEC socket on the back of my TD145, and the power cable is made up of two wires, black and blue. However I'm unsure which one is meant to be live, and which is neutral. Would it use Australian or German colour codes? I feel kinda silly asking because it is an Australian plug.. but thought I'd ask to be sure. Mine is identical to the below picture, in terms of where the blue and black wire are going. Sorry if it's a stupid question :P

maxresdefault.jpg

Thanks, I've had confirmation from Thorens group on Facebook that black is live, but I'll trace it anyway just in case. Mainly doing this mainly so I can remove the cables if I want, and also for the sake of tinkering goodness :)

46 minutes ago, Setiawan said:

Thanks, I've had confirmation from Thorens group on Facebook that black is live, but I'll trace it anyway just in case. Mainly doing this mainly so I can remove the cables if I want, and also for the sake of tinkering goodness :)

So how do you propose to trace for colour identification, and what makes you think that tinkering with 240V mains that had the potential to kill will have any sonic benefits?  

The 240V is there to power a motor for the platter,  it has zero connection to the phono stage, and will make jack difference sonically especially in what you are proposing,  like some have posted that an IEC can potentially introduce issues.

• Like 1

Guest Muon N'
6 hours ago, Setiawan said:

5 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

So how do you propose to trace for colour identification, and what makes you think that tinkering with 240V mains that had the potential to kill will have any sonic benefits?  

The 240V is there to power a motor for the platter,  it has zero connection to the phono stage, and will make jack difference sonically especially in what you are proposing,  like some have posted that an IEC can potentially introduce issues.

Doesn't look like improving SQ is an aim here, just convenience of being able to remove the cable if needed to?

3 hours ago, Noum said:

Doesn't look like improving SQ is an aim here, just convenience of being able to remove the cable if needed to?

Yes I agree!  Convenience yes indeed.  The fixed cable on these and the LP12's are a PITA and installing an IEC it will have no impact on the sound.  But for safety perhaps let a pro install it?  

Edited by Peter_F

Thanks for the concern everyone, I went ahead with it anyway and I'm glad to say it was successful! IEC and RCA sockets have been installed :) I ended up cutting open the original plug just to make sure. Black was indeed live (at least this time around).

20170909_180459.jpg

• Like 2