Redgum Amplifier Replacement

RDM

Hi there - I'm new to the forum.

I'm considering replacing my Redgum RGi60 (branded as a Mitsuoko Rehn from the ill fated Absolute High End store in Hawthorn in the mid/late 90's) and looking for some advice.

For those with experience of the sound of the Redgum (which I do enjoy), are there any particular amplifiers (vintage or new) you think should go on my shortlist to audition given the following requirements/preferences, and which would be at least equal to, or better in performance than the Redgum?

- Headphone output (must)

- Phono input (preferred)

- Pre in/out or tape loop (must)

- Reasonably sized (maximum 475 wide x 400 deep)

- Excellent build quality (must)

My speakers are Whatmough Tre's which I would consider to be on the warm side of neutral and are reasonably efficient (89db I believe). CD player is a Marantz mid level unit (early 2000's) and my turntable a Sony direct drive mid/high level (late 70's).

Any advice on this matter that could be offered would be much appreciated as it's been a long time since I've dabbled in this area and there are many new "boutique" amplifier brands that I'm unfamiliar with, as well as the traditional market players current state of affairs.

Many thanks.

• Like 1

Hi RDM, welcome to the forum! In respect to your query, I haven't heard that Redgum so can't answer specifically but it would be useful to others if you specified a budget for the amp.

Out of interest, which Sony DD do you run? I have a PS-8750 which is just a great deck!

Hi Hensa, thanks for the welcome and the reply.

Turntable is a Sony PS-515 - really more mid than high, but I'm very happy with it.

In terms of budget I'm not so sure yet. The Mitsuoko Rehn (Redgum) was around $2500 from memory (it has pre in/out and dual speaker posts for bi-wiring of speakers which the standard equivalent Redgum model didn't have). So I'm presuming I would have to spend at least that to replace it - unless things have gotten better and cheaper since then.

Lets start with $2500 and see if it can be done for that. If not, I'll have a decision to make in terms of budgetary constraints.

Edited by RDM

11 hours ago, RDM said:

Hi Hensa, thanks for the welcome and the reply.

Turntable is a Sony PS-515 - really more mid than high, but I'm very happy with it.

In terms of budget I'm not so sure yet. The Mitsuoko Rehn (Redgum) was around $2500 from memory (it has pre in/out and dual speaker posts for bi-wiring of speakers which the standard equivalent Redgum model didn't have). So I'm presuming I would have to spend at least that to replace it - unless things have gotten better and cheaper since then.

Lets start with $2500 and see if it can be done for that. If not, I'll have a decision to make in terms of budgetary constraints.

Can we see a photo of your Mitsuoko Rehn amplifier please?

I wasn't aware that Redgum amps were initially re-branded another name

Edited by bvuka2013
  • Like 1

@RDM

can we ask what it is you are chasing in new amp, or is it just the feature list ?  reason i ask if just features like some of which your current amp could be augmented upon, e.g. adding a phono pre or headphone amp.

good amps never die... so if a case of needing a tidy up after some years, likely redgum themselves could help there too no matter its been rebranded and sold as something else. 

being in melbourne i would also approach whatmough themselves now can be found via the web link 

http://www.theaudioexperts.com.au

always good to get a sense of reference what their thoughts are with amps that feel would match up well. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input.

I already have a phono preamp hooked up (Cambridge Audio) and was looking to use headphones occasionally. I know I can add a headphone amp as well but was thinking about trying to consolidate everything into one and save me having "bits" all over the place. Didn't want to sacrifice the sound quality for convenience though.

The pre in/out or tape loop requirement was because I sometimes run the whole setup through a "spatializer" type thing.

I will sort out a photo to post.

I think I can see where this is heading now.

Maybe I just need to replace my current phono preamp  (Cambridge Audio 540P) with a combination phono preamp/headphone amp. Or buy a headphone amplifier with a pre out to add in line.

Any specific recommendations along this line of thought?

Edited by RDM
  • Like 1

If already have a phono amp, just add a headphone amp.

i run separate phono and headphone amps on my rig most / many do

dont see sense of throwing nice amp out just to add these when can add these without throwing amp out :)

22 hours ago, :) al said:

@RDM

can we ask what it is you are chasing in new amp, or is it just the feature list ?  reason i ask if just features like some of which your current amp could be augmented upon, e.g. adding a phono pre or headphone amp.

good amps never die... so if a case of needing a tidy up after some years, likely redgum themselves could help there too no matter its been rebranded and sold as something else. 

being in melbourne i would also approach whatmough themselves now can be found via the web link 

http://www.theaudioexperts.com.au

always good to get a sense of reference what their thoughts are with amps that feel would match up well. 

I have had great experiences dealing with Redgum so far (I am their Tasmanian dealer). Why not call them and see if your amp can be serviced? Redgum amps are generally very reliable and easy to service, I'm sure Ian and Lindy will be able to offer advice if nothing else. They also have a new line 'black series' of amplifiers that are cheaper than the Ampfolia range so you may find what you are looking for-except that headphone amp and Phono would have to be purchased separately. I do hope they will be able to help you: http://www.redgumaudio.com/contact/

• Like 3

On 06/09/2017 at 8:30 AM, RDM said:

Hi there - I'm new to the forum.

I'm considering replacing my Redgum RGi60 (branded as a Mitsuoko Rehn from the ill fated Absolute High End store in Hawthorn in the mid/late 90's) and looking for some advice.

For those with experience of the sound of the Redgum (which I do enjoy), ....

Welcome, RDM! And "Lucky you!" to be one of the few to own a Mitsuoko-Rehn! Based on the RGi60 of the time, they were a bespoke, limited edition made exclusively for Absolute Hi End by REDGUM Audio. As they have all tootled on smoothly over the years, we would be delighted to renew our acquaintance with one. I can offer you our TLC Maturity Service for a full once-over before you hand it on to another enthusiast.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, henning said:

I have had great experiences dealing with Redgum so far (I am their Tasmanian dealer). Why not call them and see if your amp can be serviced? Redgum amps are generally very reliable and easy to service, I'm sure Ian and Lindy will be able to offer advice if nothing else. They also have a new line 'black series' of amplifiers that are cheaper than the Ampfolia range so you may find what you are looking for-except that headphone amp and Phono would have to be purchased separately. I do hope they will be able to help you: http://www.redgumaudio.com/contact/

Thanks, henning!  You read my mind when I saw that list. The Black Series amplifier to match/exceed RDS's Mitsuoko-Rehn would be the Black RGi35ENR. To the rest of the checklist ... this amplifier offers 5 line level inputs along with Pre Out and Tape Out. It also ticks the boxes for Quality & Size. The sound of our RGPH2 phonostage is crisp, clean and detailed, and in a tiny chassis to "sit beside" on the shelf. And to round up the list, we offer an Add-on Headphone connector (RGHFS). (Naturally, it passes the REDGUM quaity test.) Looks like we have lots to talk about!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RDM said:

image.thumb.jpeg.ee9b75ee56c5f2b91ab3c8f3b74e24f4.jpeg

23 hours ago, RDM said:

image.thumb.jpeg.ee9b75ee56c5f2b91ab3c8f3b74e24f4.jpeg

A great shot! Ah, the memories!! "Last century" ... (yes, our company is old enough to sound old when talking about our history) ... in the first years of manufacture of our amplifiers (1993+), they actually had black glass front panels with gold knobs! A great look as you can see, but ... when the panel changes to glorious Red Gum wood, gold knobs are a distraction from the uniqueness of each panel. Hence the change was made to black metal knobs that subtly highlight the back colours within the wood grain. (FYI The Mitsuoko-Rehn panel is acrylic.)

• Like 3

Thanks everyone for all the input.

Looks like I might have to take a few deep breaths and think about this some more before I do anything rash.

The Mitsuoko Rehn has performed flawlessly over all these years and does sound great - how often should I get something like this serviced?

In the mean time I do have a Yamaha CR-800 tucked away which has decent phono and headphone preamps. I can try it as a preamp connected to the Mitsuoko Rehn power section and run my turntable to it and the headphones out of it.

Time to experiment a forgoe my urge to "consolidate" things.

30 minutes ago, RDM said:

Thanks everyone for all the input.

Looks like I might have to take a few deep breaths and think about this some more before I do anything rash.

The Mitsuoko Rehn has performed flawlessly over all these years and does sound great - how often should I get something like this serviced?

In the mean time I do have a Yamaha CR-800 tucked away which has decent phono and headphone preamps. I can try it as a preamp connected to the Mitsuoko Rehn power section and run my turntable to it and the headphones out of it.

Time to experiment a forgoe my urge to "consolidate" things.

Great to hear of all those years! As to the best timing of a  Maturity Service, it never hurts to e.g. have the DC off-set adjusted and the bias/quiescent current reset after about 10 years. (15 years would be the "wisest" upper limit.)

If you would like to get an earful of what the REDGUM sound has become, do join us at the International HifI Show in Melbourne next month. Best wishes till then!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the Info, Lindy!

Great to hear some of the Redgum history

This Mitsuoko Rehn amplifier has certainly attracted a lot of interest

Can you tell us what the name means/ how it was derived?

I take it these early Redgum amps were fan cooled?

Cheers

Bobby

On 08/09/2017 at 7:46 AM, bvuka2013 said:

Thanks for all the Info, Lindy!

Great to hear some of the Redgum history

This Mitsuoko Rehn amplifier has certainly attracted a lot of interest

Can you tell us what the name means/ how it was derived?

I take it these early Redgum amps were fan cooled?

Cheers

Bobby

A  pleasure to be able to, Bobby! ... as far as we can. Which kinda answers your next question. We have no knowledge about the reasons for the choice of name, and/or thus its derivation (which seems a delightful cultural mix). And without checking back specifically, in those days, fans were a rarity for a RGi60. As time went on into the next century, and transformers got bigger (while the model's official rating went unchanged), it was more likely to be owners of the RGi60ENR that might have needed a fan after a year or two of co-habitating!! Always a case of horses for courses, depending on their speakers. And due to lack of distortion, how their listening levels kept on creeping up!! 

Thanks to everyone for the help and advice.

I will drop the Mitsuoko-Rehn off to Redgum for a service and look at getting a decent headphone amp as I've checked and realised there is a "tape out" pair of RCA's at the back which I didn't remember were there.

I've also tested my Yamaha CR-800 as a pre amp connected to the Mitsuoko-Rehn power section and the results were spectacular on some pieces of music but quite strangely sibilant on some other pieces - not consistent enough to pair together permanently. I might continue to experiment just out of interest though.

Thanks again.