Russell Hi Fi corner

On 16/08/2020 at 3:50 PM, 2Brix said:

Aha...the missing piece of the puzzle ?

Ahh! If only finding the missing piece in Hi FI was as simple, we all save a lot of money.

Regarding the missing Jigsaw piece (and actually there is one) sadly thats not it.

• Like 1

The Xindak XA8800MN Mono amplifiers

Well I have been using all these amps for a week or so now, and they are all very good.

Whats impresses me most about the Xindak is the grip and control that it maintains over the music. There seems to be a real depth to sound which you only get with a decent amount of power, and the Xindak certainly comes across as having that.

It's a very musical amp as well, i have had big Krells and Mark Levinsons that i did not enjoy as much, which is saying something when you consider the price these sell for used.

I switched out the Pre Amp as I got my Supratek, not because i could fault it but the Supratek is always as good if not better. And the Pre only has 2 inputs on it, which is a shame and strange because it appears to be very capable.

I think my speakers are voiced to not be lively and i think the amp could do with a bit of help in the extra spark area.

But sitting here listen to Ciudad De Las Ideas by Vicente Amigo i don't feel like i am missing any detail and the presentation is very realistic with that great depth and separation that this amp does so well.

This is a must hear I think for anyone that is in the market at around this price. I wasn't expecting this quality from this price point. 

I have only been switching periodically between the Golmund copy, the F5 DIY and the Xindak. Stay tuned for my impressions of those amps soon. 

And then eventually to compare them to my Halcro which I love and the magical, sweet, mesmerising amp i always seem to return to as my reference the DIY Nelson Pass F3.

Oh thats right, through Stereonet (Dave) i have found someone to look at my Antique Sound Hurricane Mono blocks after the blown valve incident to check they are all working as they should, so perhaps i'll have them back in time to compare also.

20200823_094145.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The Amps are on loan, i will have to take them back soon really pushed my luck having them for so long, i just want to keep them all though.

I mean this Xindak would compete with some seriously pricey competition.

The player is the Jungson this is a link to see it on Ai Express, not where i got mine

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000001459166.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.35033418VbzQSP&algo_pvid=4fce1535-f593-4256-98f3-8eae609da262&algo_expid=4fce1535-f593-4256-98f3-8eae609da262-49&btsid=0bb0623c15997407345808634e2f6e&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

As far as i know the only difference between the standard and the Luxury is the stainless finish, all the insides are the same, mine was the standard.

Unfortunately it's not mine anymore. @Steve M made me sell it to him, well he didn't actually make me, but he must have caught me in a weak moment because I didn't want to sell it.

I had it for a long time and I never heard anything I thought that bettered it. It was reviewed by an American mag at $4000 USD and came out with flying colours. 

Definitely one of only four players that i have owned or heard that really hit the mark, and i have heard a lot.

I would be happy if it finds it's way home one day.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i have probably had these for a few weeks now and i am enjoying them much more than I thought I would.

They are a very high quality bookshelf, although i am not sure bookshelf paints the full picture, as you can see compared to my other already large speakers they are a reasonable size.

I just love the timber design and the external crossover way of doing things, they don't feel built down to a budget that is for sure.

As for the quality of the sound they are really good, they throw a great sound stage and that (would you call it a horn loaded tweeter?) horn loaded tweeter makes the high shimmer and sparkle. The base is also impressive for this size speaker, it's different to my floor stander but not so much that I feel i am missing out. And that important mid range to treble area has plenty of detail, delicacy and emotion.

To cap it all off to my eyes they just ooze class and i love looking at them. I do need to move my big speakers out the way to get the full effect but there is some weight in them and my back is just not feeling it. 

Comparing them to my floor standers is pretty futile really, let's face it by the time I have stood up and swapped cables around (not that I do that) I can't even recall where I was sitting let alone what sound was like before.

I would say they are a bit more lively that the Seas ER's but don't mange the decay and texture, all in all though a nice compromise and addition.

Oh and another amp has rocked up since I last posted, two more in fact. I'll get to them later.

20200923_202705.jpg

20200923_202711.jpg

20200923_202719.jpg

20200923_202727.jpg

20200923_204020.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Interface said:

Hi @russell66

In your Aug 23rd post you said that you love your Halcro.

I'm a recent Halcro convert and I'm wondering what model Halcro do you have and what is your preferred pre amp to feed it?

Cheers. 

Hi I have the Halcro MC50 but i am only using 2 channels at the moment, i may end up Bi Amping with it later.

It's going to be interesting because when i first got it i felt it was better than anything I had owned before, but for the last few months after loaning it out, i have had several different amps in the system and some of them really impressed me too.

Soon the Halcro will go back in, and i am excited to see what I think of it. Will it still be as good as I remember it?

I will keep you posted.

As for the Pre Amp, I am in the Supra Tek club, once you've had one there is no going back, they just do something that is so right. Plus the world class phono stage thrown in for free. 

Mine is the Cortese, it's older but still wonderful, Mick has made a few changes to his circuit over the years and at some point it will go back to him to update, although I can't see how it good be better.

I also have the Burson HDA 160 or something like that, and that sounds great to and does not give much away to the Cortese, either work great for me.

@russell66

Thank you for your great reply.

I'll  be very interested to read what you think of the Halcro coming back into your system.

Soon I will have an Elektra pre in my system to feed into the Halcro, however from what you've  said and what I've read I'd love to slot a Supratek in to see what it sounds like. Of course there's always system synergy that might get in the way.

11 hours ago, Gryffles said:

@russell66 if your Cortese isn’t Gen 3 then you might be shocked how better the linestage section is after the upgrade ?

Yes it will be interesting, i have heard @SteveM pre which is a superior and upgraded version of the Cortese but only in his system so it's not possible to compare, only to know that it sounds really good.

It's amazing how much I enjoy the sound of what I have and the fact there are a few things I can still do that could improve the quality of the sound even more is exciting, 

It's not going to be easy to fix something that is not broken, but at some point curiosity will get the better of me. There is at least a 3 month wait anyway.

So at some point I will take the plunge and look forward to seeing what it does.

@Interface

The Elektra could work well. Shame I am not in NSW i could bring it over, i am sure there is somewhere in NSW that would be up for it.

I really feel there should be a Supra Tek club, we our kinda like proud parents who want to show off their new babies.

Of course not everyone is as excited as us with our baby, but no matter.

Decent quality products are essential and synergy is also important. I find that I am either getting luckier these days with matching or system set up, cable choice and speaker placement or even speaker choice plays a bigger part than synergy.

In other words pieces that don't initially seem to gel all of a sudden lock in with a cable change (not always more expensive either) or a minor shift in speaker placement. 

So hopefully the Elektra will work and make your speakers sing, let me know.

• Like 2

On 08/10/2017 at 1:08 PM, russell66 said:

Isolate everything...

20171008_104653.jpg

I recently sold a whole bunch of Pulsar Points. I was using some under my centre speaker and under my sub. I really noticed the change (for the worse) after removing them. I've got more IsoAcoustics Gaias and Puck-minis coming though so hopefully they will make me happy.

If not, I'll be chasing PPs again. They were better than I ever anticipated.

Edited by Winno
  • Like 1

On 29/09/2020 at 12:44 PM, Winno said:

I recently sold a whole bunch of Pulsar Points. I was using some under my centre speaker and under my sub. I really noticed the change (for the worse) after removing them. I've got more IsoAcoustics Gaias and Puck-minis coming though so hopefully they will make me happy.

If not, I'll be chasing PPs again. They were better than I ever anticipated.

I think i saw your for sale ad now you mention it. The PP's are good. I have sold a lot of my other stuff off over time because i really like the sound of my DIY ones from Jarrah and Bunnings vibration pads. I am planing to do a bit of work on them when I can get down the shed and give them a better finish and a bit more style. I am also going to use a similar method to make some speaker cable stands.

I saw some other types of isolation the other day and will probably try them as well.

Let me know how you get on with your new ones, i have found that isolation works and there is a significant difference in sound but I have not really been able to hear any difference between different types of isolation.

Scary times ahead, We have decided to move the lounge room around which means moving the speakers. I haven't even taken the big ones away yet because the Book shelfs are sounding so good.

They must be the amongst the very best book shelfs I have heard, perhaps comparable with the WAR audio Diannes.

I hate moving it when it sounds so right, but its really only a mirror image where they go to and it will look better for the room. So heres hoping it sounds as good.

Fingers crossed.

20201006_094720.jpg

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Well where does time go, last time I updated the post was over six months ago. 

There is a few reasons for that, first I was away for almost two months, but the real reason is because if you read my previous post you will see I was moving the system.

All the magic I had attained, either with the bookshelfs or the floor standers just disappeared, same gear, even same room, but no matter how I moved them, in, out, together, apart, I just could not get it sounding right.

It was Ok just lacking the magic I had achieved in the other position.

So that left me frustrated, hence no posts. 

And so began the so called upgrade nonsense that everyone gets caught up in. Which has led to lots of changes.

And that in turn left me not knowing where to start with my next post. 

Anyway I have started here and now and will continue to bring you all up to date over the next few weeks. 

This is a picture of the current system as it stands today during this hopefully short Perth 3 day lockdown.

20210424_145651.jpg

• Like 3

hey @russell66 hang in there.  I'm sure you'll get your system sounded magic again.  

Just wondering if the following are worth trying if not already tried and discounted

1) strip back to as simple as possible 2-channel signal chain, avoid sending the signal via too many components

2) when running the standmounts, pull the floorstanders further back out of the way (and vice versa)

3) since the floor is carpeted? use spikes under the speaker stand base, and isolation between speaker and top of stand (hard to see...)

4) double check all leads/interconnects/cables...undamaged, clean, well engaged terminations, no accidental out of phase etc

Cheers

2B

18 hours ago, 2Brix said:

hey @russell66 hang in there.  I'm sure you'll get your system sounded magic again.  

Just wondering if the following are worth trying if not already tried and discounted

1) strip back to as simple as possible 2-channel signal chain, avoid sending the signal via too many components

2) when running the standmounts, pull the floorstanders further back out of the way (and vice versa)

3) since the floor is carpeted? use spikes under the speaker stand base, and isolation between speaker and top of stand (hard to see...)

4) double check all leads/interconnects/cables...undamaged, clean, well engaged terminations, no accidental out of phase etc

Cheers

2B

Thank you for those tips, all those points are implemented on a regular basis. That post was the overdue follow up from when i first moved the system which is now six months ago.

I will continue to update back to present time over the next few weeks.

But to cut a long story short, the system is now sounding as good as i have ever heard anywhere, and with very basic moderately priced gear.

As I have small kids and limited listening opportunities it is hard to have people round, but if anyone is interested they should message me and call by to have a listen. 

I would be keen to hear their opinion.

Thanks

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I may diversify for a moment...

I visited Pat at WAR audio in Perth the other day, now i haven't been to Pats for a listen for at least 5 years. Before that i use to go reasonably often.

I have always been a fan of his work even if at times it has not really hit the spot for me. I am a huge fan of his bookshelf speakers, The Diane's. still as good as any bookshelf i have heard and reviewed favourably by Edgar Krammer at 6 moons. And then the Reference Ones which I owned at one point, being sold by @SteveM on here at the moment.  An outstanding speaker that I should of kept.

During those visits I learnt so much about what hi fi can and can't do. I would play CD's there and listen to Pats input, it was always educational

Listening to this set up on Saturday, Pat really seems to be refining his art. I asked if he thinks he is getting better and he said "well i am always learning"

The Bakoon amplification and pre amps are without question up there with the best available, and considering the price they are pretty good value for money. Not cheap though.

The speakers may well be a matter of taste but there is no doubt Pat must be one of the finest speaker builders around, and he is in Perth. The fact he prefers to remain boutique in order to preserve his enjoyment should not be misinterpreted as to make you think he is any less capable than the more famous designers. (that charge an awful lot more) I mean you won't be able to get this Speaker as it will be a one off due to driver ability and it is already sold, but if you could it would cost around $30k which is pretty impressive when you consider the quality of sound you get. And unique at that.

So regardless of where your at in your journey you should pay WAR audio a visit, he is not always there but often you will catch him Saturday arvo, you can call before you go if you need to.

And I would even say if you had $200k to spend it would be taste rather than quality that would have you choose something else (oh and availability)

This is not a place where you will be sold something, so you can just go and enjoy. If you haven't been go, if you haven't been for a while go, if you have been go again, i guess the moral is GO!

Enjoy 

PS This is the only turntable produced that centres the record on the platter before it plays.

184599479_534378727580561_3260267249826765811_n.jpg

186289888_259678982510770_2803900926286816216_n.jpg

186452198_1585311565001842_6522727880512183905_n.jpg

186486177_1186734888442078_3836061920708943258_n.jpg

187571160_744787126187774_284537612303008789_n.jpg

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, russell66 said:

I thought I may diversify for a moment...

I visited Pat at WAR audio in Perth the other day, now i haven't been to Pats for a listen for at least 5 years. Before that i use to go reasonably often.

I have always been a fan of his work even if at times it has not really hit the spot for me. I am a huge fan of his bookshelf speakers, The Diane's. still as good as any bookshelf i have heard and reviewed favourably by Edgar Krammer at 6 moons. And then the Reference Ones which I owned at one point, being sold by @SteveM on here at the moment.  An outstanding speaker that I should of kept.

During those visits I learnt so much about what hi fi can and can't do. I would play CD's there and listen to Pats input, it was always educational

Listening to this set up on Saturday, Pat really seems to be refining his art. I asked if he thinks he is getting better and he said "well i am always learning"

The Bakoon amplification and pre amps are without question up there with the best available, and considering the price they are pretty good value for money. Not cheap though.

The speakers may well be a matter of taste but there is no doubt Pat must be one of the finest speaker builders around, and he is in Perth. The fact he prefers to remain boutique in order to preserve his enjoyment should not be misinterpreted as to make you think he is any less capable than the more famous designers. (that charge an awful lot more) I mean you won't be able to get this Speaker as it will be a one off due to driver ability and it is already sold, but if you could it would cost around $30k which is pretty impressive when you consider the quality of sound you get. And unique at that.

So regardless of where your at in your journey you should pay WAR audio a visit, he is not always there but often you will catch him Saturday arvo, you can call before you go if you need to.

And I would even say if you had $200k to spend it would be taste rather than quality that would have you choose something else (oh and availability)

This is not a place where you will be sold something, so you can just go and enjoy. If you haven't been go, if you haven't been for a while go, if you have been go again, i guess the moral is GO!

Enjoy 

PS This is the only turntable produced that centres the record on the platter before it plays.

184599479_534378727580561_3260267249826765811_n.jpg

186289888_259678982510770_2803900926286816216_n.jpg

186452198_1585311565001842_6522727880512183905_n.jpg

186486177_1186734888442078_3836061920708943258_n.jpg

187571160_744787126187774_284537612303008789_n.jpg

Pat is a great guy with lots of knowledge. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So what changed? Well first came in the Wadia 302 CD player. I had been looking for a replacement to my Jungson that I sold. 

It is a really great CD player, that has Pre Amp volume functionality so it can go directly to the power amp, which is handy for some set ups.

Its for sale now just because I need the cash to fund a house move

Wadia 302 5.jpeg

Wadia 302 4.jpeg

Then next i tracked down the PS Audio perfect wave dac.  This is an incredible Dac. The motive was to improve my PC play back which it did easily.

It also has the ability to drive a power amp direct and I love versatility.  In the picture you can see the Pioneer DVD player, this as a transport into the Dac is a great solution. Maybe just misses out on being as good as the Wadia but there is not that much in it.

The Pioneer is the one Goldmund stole and put in a new case and charged $10,000 for.

Lamprizator shows how I can by pass the internal DVD stuff to get a purer coax signal with a simple re wire. I haven't done that yet but will do soon.

PXL_20210607_024847864.jpg

• Like 1