Posted (edited)

Ok, thanks again :) Have a great day @betty boop!

Edited by agrif78

Couple of interesting videos:

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice on the following. I have a JVC x5900be with eshift 5 that I wish to calibrate. This is my first time calibrating my JVC and I am going to use their auto cal software and a spyder meter. The unit has 460 hours on it and I think it is time I did a calibration. My question is about the colour profiles specifically the custom Manni01 profiles in the calibration thread over on AVS

Now I know this projector does not have everything it needs liker the higher end units have eg filter etc to assist in reaching the wider Rec/BT 2020 range. It also has its own colour profiles mainly HDR, Standard and Cinema.

I know that HDR is possibly the factorys near as profile to Rec/BT 2020. My question is can I upload the no filter profiles from the AVS thread to the unit into some of the user/custom slots for my own calibration (I wish to leave the factory settings where they are).

Are these profiles compatible with my projector and its hardware and the eshift 5 system. If not could someone advise me on what profiles to use.

It's been a while, but from memory, I believe you can only use a "Standard" ( ie non-Custom) colour profile when doing an Autocal, otherwise the Gamma cal will not work and you will get a "-" error in the plot.

So in your case you would need to do Autocal using the X5900's "HDR" colour profile. But I would think there is nothing to stop you uploading Manni's BT2020-NF into a custom slot and selecting it once you've done the the Autocal. I believe Manni reported about a 7-10% difference in the coverage of DCI-P3  on his X7000 which has the Reference filter between BT2020 and BT2020-NF, so seeing as the X5900 doesn't have the filter I'm not sure you'll be able to see too much.

But , if I were you I've give it a shot anyway, as uploading a custom colour profile using Autocal is quick and painless. Then you can use your eyes to see whether you prefer JVC's "HDR" or Manni's BT2020-NF.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, IMDave said:

It's been a while, but from memory, I believe you can only use a "Standard" ( ie non-Custom) colour profile when doing an Autocal, otherwise the Gamma cal will not work and you will get a "-" error in the plot.

So in your case you would need to do Autocal using the X5900's "HDR" colour profile. But I would think there is nothing to stop you uploading Manni's BT2020-NF into a custom slot and selecting it once you've done the the Autocal. I believe Manni reported about a 7-10% difference in the coverage of DCI-P3  on his X7000 which has the Reference filter between BT2020 and BT2020-NF, so seeing as the X5900 doesn't have the filter I'm not sure you'll be able to see too much.

But , if I were you I've give it a shot anyway, as uploading a custom colour profile using Autocal is quick and painless. Then you can use your eyes to see whether you prefer JVC's "HDR" or Manni's BT2020-NF.

Thank you for the reply. I think you are right might as well give it a go. I was just concerned the profile was not compatible with my unit but from what you said I gather it should work on any JVC. Is that correct?

Edited by Zeroasylum

5 minutes ago, Zeroasylum said:

Thank you for the reply. I think you are right might as well give it a go. I was just concerned the profile was not compatible with my unit but from what you said I gather it should work on any JVC. Is that correct?

Sure. After all a custom generated profile is just a series of "targets" on a plot. If the targets are "wrong", then the colours will be skewed and things just won't look right. If you don't like what you see and revert back to the defaults. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.;)

bt2020.JPG